LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 433 users in the forums

Draft Need by Position

One of the things I liked about this last draft was that Baalke and Harbaugh were great in the Undrafted Free Agent market. I would like to see WRs, NT, and CBs come in that avenue as well. But WR, RB, CB, Safety, RG, Center, NT, 3/4 DE would be great. I am sad that we missed on Doug Baldwin, and happy we got Tolzien. But Baalke has an eye for talent so I hope we hit on some good ones in this draft.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

In this pass heavy league, you cannot win consistently with a bunch of #2/3 receivers. You must have that top stud guy. Who that guy is I will leave up to Harbaugh/Baalke.

I have to disagree with this. The 49ers do win consistently without that top guy - and I still think Crabtree is growing. Also, since Alex Smith is still growing in this offense, I suspect that all receivers will look better next year.

Let's look at Green Bay (I don't know their WR well so if I have missed one of their better WR, let me know):
Donald Driver - drafted in 7th round
Greg Jennings - 2nd round pick
Jordy Nelson - 2nd round pick

Not a single first round pick, yet I think it is safe to say that they have a very effective passing attack.
"QB - wrote it in another thread that Tolzien could be back next year because he could've signed a multi-year deal as we still don't know his contract details. Developmental projects like Ryan Tannehill, Austin Davis, Domique Davis and Dan Persa make sense but Tannehill is this years Jake Locker, first round talent but probably at least a year away from being effective in the NFL. Cutting Tolzien or letting him leave in FA and signing Josh Johnson seems more likely then drafting someone at this point. "

To the person who posted this, Scott Tolziens contract is a non issue, any player with less than three years experience the rights go to the team who has them under contract at the end of the season. Thus the 9ers can basically sign Tolzien for the league minimum the next two seasons and he would have no other options.
I believe in Baalke's decisions and I may be alone but I feel there is some untapped gold in the niners practice squad as well as injured reserve. I am sure we will grab every good prospect we can find as UDFAs. We have some guys who could show up in Bogan, Nelms, Reuland and a couple of others. It has been rather quiet for guys like Dobbs, Williams, Kilgore and Person but IMO, they should not be overlooked as future players. These guys could be the Morgans, Delanie Walkers etc of the future. I do think they need some wide recievers but I think they need to draft a good runningback in the top 4 rounds. they need to replace Norris and have more backup for runningback injuries especially as with Harbaughs offense.

I think the defense could use another beast of a DL but Tukuafu returns and Dobbs and Williams are going to have to showup. I think the niners could use another OLB. So the targets would be recievers, OLB, RB and I feel that with the type of game the niners play we might even keep 5 tightends. Say we got Fleener and got Byham back plus Walker and Davis and Reuland. We then need only Bruce Miller as a fullback as any of the TE's could back up.
I think such a squad would burn holes in other teams. A lot of muscle plus reliable mid range targets suit the niners.
Originally posted by fryet:
Looking at our roster, I don't see any glaring need at any position. Most likely defections will determine where we have a draft need. But here is my personal analysis of where we have our needs based on position. I can also see us trading our first round pick away to get more draft picks in the middle rounds.

Offense:
QB - We have a solid starter and a young rookie that we are grooming. If we draft at all, it would be a late draft choice.
WR - Crabtree, Morgan, and Williams is a good, but not great three-some in the NFL. So far, we don't have any elite talent, but I would be reluctant to draft a WR in the first. We will need to draft more depth at this position, so I could see us targeting anywhere from 2nd to 7th for this position.
TE - We have solid starters in Davis and Walker, but we desperately need more depth here. Mid round pick(s) here would be well spent.
RB - Gore is great but seems to be on the decline. I am not sure that we have his replacement on the roster. I could see us spending a first round pick here, definitely a mid round.
OL - I like our starting tackles, but I would spend a mid round pick on the interior.

Defense:
DL - Justin Smith is great, and the other 2 are decent. You can't argue with the production of this group, however I would spend a mid round pick for more depth. Justin Smith won't be playing that much longer.
LB - Great group, but I could see us trying to get Aldon Smith 2 to replace Ahmad Brooks. 2 10 sack players are better than 1.
CB - Solid group but not elite. Hard to get elite at the bottom of the first, so maybe a trade up to mid first. If not, a mid round pick.
Safety - Safeties are adequate, but watching the PIT safeties, I see there is a lot of room for improvement. This would be the number one area that I would think of trading up in the first, since safeties tend to be picked later in the NFL.

WR - The Niners' passing game is their only certain weakness. FA hasn't helped in this area. I agree that first round WRs are risky. So was the Aldon Smith pick. Let's rely on Baalke/Harbaugh to select a WR that will start by game #1. I prefer a tall one, but it isn't necessary in round 1.

RB - With Harbaugh's dependence on a power but flexible running game, I agree with you that Hunter and Dixon will be able to fill in the slack next year regarding Gore's apparent decline. This may not be the year to go RB in round 1, but it may be a matter of BPA. If the right guy is available in our spot, I think Baalke just might pull the trigger.

OL - Is Boone ready for prime time? Can A. Davis move to RG next year. Better yet, can Boone move to LT, Davis to RG and Staley to RT? BPA for a OT or OG. A FA RG might do the trick. I'd like a veteran next to Davis. Can Kilgore take over C from Goodwin.

LB - This may be heretical, but what about moving Patrick Willis to OLB? He's improved his pass defense, he's fast and strong enough to take on OTs. Grant could take his position at ILB. Would the team be so bold as to re-position a Pro Bowler? Ala Ronnie Lott?

S - My impression is that Goldson's big hits and INTs are auditions for another team and he won't be on team next year. I don't think Reggie Smith would be an improvement. Both miss tackles. Niners may have to go FA and/or a mid-rounder.
^

While we're at it, lets move Aldon to safety, Justin to nose tackle and Bowman to corner.

Moving Willis to OLB is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read on here.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
^

While we're at it, lets move Aldon to safety, Justin to nose tackle and Bowman to corner.

Moving Willis to OLB is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read on here.
Until you say why, it's your statement that is ridiculous.
Moving the best middle linebacker in the game to a foreign position makes it ridiculous. Please man.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
^

Until you say why, it's your statement that is ridiculous.

no he's right, that is a retarded idea
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Moving the best middle linebacker in the game to a foreign position makes it ridiculous. Please man.

I agree, Willis is the best read-n-react-sideline-to-sideline LB we have. Putting him on the strong or weakside pretty much takes away his real strengths, also because he is no pass-rusher either.

I think we need a W.. at #1, Safety at #2, D.T at three, all other rounds best available
Man, I thought that I posted here last night.

Grade 1-5, with 1=big need:
QB=4; Kaep seems not to be ready at all, Furthermore, I'm afraid that Alex reached his potential already but thats too few to be a SB contender. So, a QB-draft in the later rounds isnt out of consideration.
WR=1; We don't have a true #1 Wideout. Period. First or second round is possible but good god plz, don't pull a Julio Jones-ATL-move.
TE=5; We know that VD can be a difference maker and we know that Walker is a very good backup-TE. Dont see any need at all here.
RB=4; Gore can still do it but he wont be younger anymore. Hunter is a reliable backup-RB for now and I think that he can be an effective everydown-RB as well. Nevertheless, drafting a powerful guy on day 3 wouldnt be bad.
OL=2; Our interior pass protection is awful. Goodwin is solid but has turned 33 this month. Snyder is a good run-blocker but sucks in pass protection. We need another Guard badly and Center for the near future would be good as well.

DL=3; We need a successor for Justin Smith.
LB=2; Our ILBs are the best guys in business, our OLBs arent, at least not Haralson and Brooks. Additionally to that, the latter one is a free agent. Adding another pass-rushing OLB should be a target on day 2 or day 3. If Aldon Smith goes down, we will have huge problems.
CB=2; Besides Rogers, we dont have any reliable #2-CB at all. Culliver and Brock seem to be talented, Adams could be another alternative. Spencer and Brown should be cut as soon as possible.
FS=1; Goldson sucks.
WR#1, Safety#2, D.T#3, Best available the rest of the way.
  • dj43
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by dj43:

In this pass heavy league, you cannot win consistently with a bunch of #2/3 receivers. You must have that top stud guy. Who that guy is I will leave up to Harbaugh/Baalke.

I have to disagree with this. The 49ers do win consistently without that top guy - and I still think Crabtree is growing. Also, since Alex Smith is still growing in this offense, I suspect that all receivers will look better next year.

Let's look at Green Bay (I don't know their WR well so if I have missed one of their better WR, let me know):
Donald Driver - drafted in 7th round
Greg Jennings - 2nd round pick
Jordy Nelson - 2nd round pick

Not a single first round pick, yet I think it is safe to say that they have a very effective passing attack.

There are always exceptions but there are also the obvious plays. Jerry Rice was one example where homework and the will to make the move resulted in HOF. AJ Green and Julio Jones are recent examples where top guys are producing at high levels. Jones has had injury issues but is a threat on every play. That is the kind of guy this offense needs.

What other position do you see as being a greater need?
Originally posted by communist:
Man, I thought that I posted here last night.

Grade 1-5, with 1=big need:
QB=4; Kaep seems not to be ready at all, Furthermore, I'm afraid that Alex reached his potential already but thats too few to be a SB contender. So, a QB-draft in the later rounds isnt out of consideration.
WR=1; We don't have a true #1 Wideout. Period. First or second round is possible but good god plz, don't pull a Julio Jones-ATL-move.
TE=5; We know that VD can be a difference maker and we know that Walker is a very good backup-TE. Dont see any need at all here.
RB=4; Gore can still do it but he wont be younger anymore. Hunter is a reliable backup-RB for now and I think that he can be an effective everydown-RB as well. Nevertheless, drafting a powerful guy on day 3 wouldnt be bad.
OL=2; Our interior pass protection is awful. Goodwin is solid but has turned 33 this month. Snyder is a good run-blocker but sucks in pass protection. We need another Guard badly and Center for the near future would be good as well.

DL=3; We need a successor for Justin Smith.
LB=2; Our ILBs are the best guys in business, our OLBs arent, at least not Haralson and Brooks. Additionally to that, the latter one is a free agent. Adding another pass-rushing OLB should be a target on day 2 or day 3. If Aldon Smith goes down, we will have huge problems.
CB=2; Besides Rogers, we dont have any reliable #2-CB at all. Culliver and Brock seem to be talented, Adams could be another alternative. Spencer and Brown should be cut as soon as possible.
FS=1; Goldson sucks.

i agree with everything except qb and LB

to say alex has reached his potential is neive first year in WCO no offseasona nd he reached his season dont buy it

LB we have a solid group we dont need to upgeade anywhere and we have solid backups as well
Share 49ersWebzone