Alex Smith - QB
Josh Morgan - WR
Ted Ginn Jr - WR/ST

Ahmed Brooks - DE/LB
Larry Grant - ILB
Carlos Rogers - CB

Free Agency -

Dwayne Bowe - WR - Chiefs
*If McDaniels becomes the HC, I can see the Chiefs letting Bowe walk in favor of a Brandon Lloyd. Bowe is the perfect WCO fit, and blocks very well. Pay this man.

James Sanders - S - Falcons
*Assuming Goldson signs elsewhere, we need to snag a replacement. Sanders is a good but not great safety. Seely has a connection with him as Sanders is a former Patriot.

Jonathan Fanene - DT/DE - Bengals
*Good depth signing for our defensive line. Fanene is built very similar to Justin Smith, and will help keep our D-line fresh.

Jacob Bell - OG/OT - Rams
*Assuming Adam Snyder walks, Bell will add competition to the RG position with Kilgore as the hopeful favorite. Bell is a good player when healthy, and has looked worse for the Rams due to their O-line issues.

NFL Draft -

R1: Peter Konz - C - Wisconsin
*Goodwin has been okay, but not great. The interior of our offensive line is weak, and Konz will finally net us a potential pro-bowler replacement to Newberry.

R2: Coby Fleener - TE - Stanford
*Dependable pass catcher, tall red zone target, good blocker. 3 key areas this team desperately needs. Walker should not be in the long-term 49ers plans.

R3: Jamell Fleming - CB/S - Oklahoma
*Fleming isn't the fastest, but he's a physical defensive back that may be ideal as a free safety. Assuming Goldson walks, we need to add a long-term option after securing a short-term free agency signing.

R4: Jacquies Smith - DE/LB - Missouri
*OTC and I agree that Smith is a poor man's Aldon Smith. Great mid-round developmental pick for the 3-4 OLB position.

R5: Keshawn Martin - WR - Michigan State
*After signing Bowe and the emergence of Williams, we lastly need a speedy WR. Martin had a respectable year, and should add a wrinkle to our WR group.

R6: Don Barclay - OT/OG - WVU
*Depth

R7: Jason Ford - RB - Illnois
*Depth

Depth Chart -

QB: Smith/Kaepernick/Tolzien
RB: Gore/Hunter/Dixon
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/Fleener*/Walker

WR: Bowe*/Morgan
WR: Crabtree/Ginn
WR: Williams/Martin*

LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Iupati/Person
C: Konz*/Goodwin
RG: Kilgore/Bell*
RT: Davis

LE: Smith/Fanene*
NT: Sopoaga/RJF
RE: McDonald/Dobbs

OLB: Smith/Haralson
ILB: Willis/Grant
ILB: Bowman/Contanzo
OLB: Brooks/Smith*

CB: Rogers/Culliver/Brock
CB: Spencer/Brown
FS: Sanders*/Fleming*
SS: Whitner/Spillman/Jones

ST: Akers, Lee, Jennings
i like it but i dont think we need konz (although i wont have an objection to the pick) in your scenario where snyder leaves i would rather draft a RG than a C and also would rather have a CB than center
Why dont you think Walker should be in the teams long term plans? I think hes already signed two extensions and its only his sixth season. The guy would start for most teams in the NFL.
We also have Nate Byham who I think can be very good.
I disagree with the we don't need Walker statement, and you don't get us a CB AT ALL

Originally posted by btthepunk:
Why dont you think Walker should be in the teams long term plans? I think hes already signed two extensions and its only his sixth season. The guy would start for most teams in the NFL.
We also have Nate Byham who I think can be very good.

Delanie Walker and Nate Byham are two of the most overrated players I can remember.

Delanie is nifty and surprising. You gotta love the versatility he brings, but he is not a true TE and wouldn't be a good starter IMO. His blocking, size and dependability are all questions marks. He's an above average #2 TE, but I think he would be a great #3 TE/H-back!

Nate Byham played well last year but hardly did anything to make me think he's a lock to come back as the #3 TE. I would love it if he did because he seems like a good kid, but he was a late round pick and did not really set himself apart enough to block Baalke from acquiring more talent at the position.

IMO Coby Fleener does a lot more for you than either of these guys. Good looking mock, Geek!
Konz is a smart pick, not sexy

Fleener will not be around for this pick and I don't want a TE this year
Not a fan of the draft. If we pick up Bowe, I'd be ok with waiting til the middle of the draft for a WR. But you having us grab a TE in the 2nd instead of CB help, is bad IMO.

You don't think we need any CBs? You resigned Carlos, but added none in free agency or the draft. You have us drafting CB/S Fleming, but you state he's a Goldson replacement so that means you view him as a Safety.
I love the early mocks - keep them coming.

I like the resignings. I really like Bowe but I just don't think we'll get him. Koonz would be a solid pick up and a Newberry type Center for years to come.

I think we could do much better than Fleener and our needs would dictate another choice. Like many, I'm surprised no CB. This would be a spot to grab a CB, BIG Wr if we can't get Bowe. We really need to address RG. Many in the Zone feel having Boone at LT, moving Staley to RT and ADavis to RG. Who knows - but we need to fix that part of the line.

I know it's a total crap shoot. Thanks for the draft and look forward to more.
i hate the 1st 2 picks, a damn center when we need a play maker on offense and taking a te in the 2nd will be ridiculous
Dont like Spencer starting, and Konz isnt needed but im ok with the pick.

Also I dont know if KC just lets Bowe walk.

The probability of Bowe signing is remote at best. Like the Fanene idea, but the Niners could do better than Sanders and Bell without a doubt.

The Konz pick is a great one and the mid rounds picks of Smith and Martin are good value picks. The rest...........meh.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Dont like Spencer starting, and Konz isnt needed but im ok with the pick.

Also I dont know if KC just lets Bowe walk.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about this mock. I wouldn't take a TE that high. I also would take a CB and Receiver higher, and I am not really enthusiastic about the possibility of Bowe signing either. Personally I am looking hard at Dwight Jones and Stephen Gillmore.

As for the Spencer issue. I agree with AB83, I'm pretty sure Terrell Brown and Chris Culliver would both start over Shawntae next year.
I'm down with drafting a center and to be honest Walker makes no difference on this team. But i wouldn't be using a 2nd rounder on a TE instead of a CB. And I don't understand how you have Spencer starting at CB when the guy barely gets any burn. I think bowe would be a huge signing.
love that you have the niners qb depth chart the same.

perplexed about Snyder. I was under the impression him and Alex are buddies/ I think he wants to stay a niner, they just have to pay him as a starter which he now is.

I think first round OL is not wise. FS is a strong area of need along with CB.

I love the TE pick and concur that a strong all around TE would help in the red zone and moving the chains.

Rnd 4 for an OLB is a good move. Sam Acho was in the fourth round. The person would be a back up so they would get back up money.
I say suck it up and sign Golston, he's a beast and probably top 5 or 6 safety in the league and fairly young.We need him more then Grant or Brooks IMO. But Im not sold on this draft at all. Im halfway okay with taking a center early but the pressing needs are RG and WR, then CB, C, Safety. We'd be downgrading alot moving from Golston to Sanders. Im okay with Dwayne Bowe but the Cheifs will likely franchise tag him. Fleener wont last to the late 2nd round no way no how. IMO your draft kinda sucks . I do applaud the effort though and Im not trying to be mean.
Share 49ersWebzone