LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 318 users in the forums

Colin Kaepernick and the huge white gibbon

So has he shown enough to avoid QBs in the first round this year? If all 4 QBs declare this year, Griffin, Luck, Barkley, and Jones one could be in the range of where we draft. Maybe one of the strongest QB rafts in a long time. I like Jones' potential in our range. People will point to obvious stuff with his flaws, which is why he would be around when we draft duh. I think the more talent we give JH to work with the better chance for success. Kaepernick is very very raw, but talented. Yes we have other positions to fill, but the game is won and Lost at the QB position.
I disagree, the game is won and lost in the trenches. (Protect the QB and get after the QB)
Great QBs make the O line better. Manning, Rodgers, Brady, and Brees all get the ball out before defenses get to the QBs. Can't win SBs with averages QB play. Yes Baltimore did it, but pretty much everyne else had star QBs.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Great QBs make the O line better. Manning, Rodgers, Brady, and Brees all get the ball out before defenses get to the QBs. Can't win SBs with averages QB play. Yes Baltimore did it, but pretty much everyne else had star QBs.

True, but no QB can win with a bad O-line. The O-line gives them the opportunity to make the plays. They go hand in hand.

Oh, and I do believe that Colin Kaepernick is the future.
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 17, 2011 at 5:59 AM ]
The game revolves around the QB. You draft a QB, someone to protect a QB (LT, RT) or someone to get the QB (passrushers) in the first round with obvious exceptions. I totally agree about drafting O-line again.
The game revolves around the QB. You draft a QB, someone to protect a QB (LT, RT) or someone to get the QB (passrushers) in the first round with obvious exceptions. I totally agree about drafting O-line again.

Dont need to worry about drafting someone to catch the damn balls then?
Appreciate your opinion but I disagree with the post.

When we fix the OLine everything including the D will get better. The D will get more rest w/less 3 & outs and I feel they are starting to wear down a bit.

I agree an excelllent QB is essential BUT we haven't seen enough let alone a full game from Kap. I feel he has the right stuff to succeed and will with more time and the coaching required. I was around when Deberg warmed the spot for JMontana. Joe would get spot duty and he grew into the best QB ever. Nobody knows how good Kap will be BUT if we don't fix the OLine, and get a #1 WR we'll never know.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Even though I'd ABSOLUTELY LOVE to have Landry Jones, and with selecting BPA, I don't think we should go QB in the 1st. We have to stop neglecting our secondary and get that mess fixed.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Even though I'd ABSOLUTELY LOVE to have Landry Jones, and with selecting BPA, I don't think we should go QB in the 1st. We have to stop neglecting our secondary and get that mess fixed.

Not necessarily true.

See: Brady to Cassel in NE. Cassel still did well. Cassel is not great.

See: Schaub to T.J. Yates. Yates is not great.

See: Philip Rivers -- look what happened when he lost all his linemen.

OL is extremely important. Like someone said, they go hand in hand. Based on the examples above, you have to believe that the offense is greatly impacted by OL play. If you can't run, you're one dimensional. If you can't pass protect, you're not going to put up many points. If you can't do either, your offense becomes almost non-functional.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 17, 2011 at 1:55 PM ]

OTC my statement you higlighted is clear great QBs make the O Line better.

Cassel is not a great QB so how is this example relevant?

Yates? not a great QB. Not a relevant example.

Rivers is on his third string players. So basicaly sht O line goes to functional.

None of these examples are of great QBs making their line worse. I think your point is that a great O line makes an average QB average based on your examples.
Originally posted by English:

Dont need to worry about drafting someone to catch the damn balls then?
Yep you need to draft players to catch the balls. Just not in the first round. Out of the top 5 receivers in the NFL this year 1. C Johnson was drafted in the first round. 2 of them WERE NOT DRAFTED AT ALL. SO nope I guess you dont.
We need to fix our secondary, and GUT our WR core. We need real WR's on the field, hell, we need to draft a real TE also.

A TE who doesn't aligator arm, or try to juke like he is barry sanders, when he should be running over people like he is jerome bettis.
Your whole premise is faulty. If all the top notch QB's declare this year, none of them will be available in the late 20's when the Niners pick. There are the Colts, the Redskins, the Dolphins, Cleveland (with two picks), and the Seahawks in the top 20 that all have a HUGE need for a franchise QB. End of story.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone