There are 142 users in the forums

OnTheClock's Early Christmas Present Mock

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I do not anticipate us looking at a TE in the draft, at least not early at all. Not only do we have Nate Byham coming back, who is a great blocking tight end with hands as well, but we have a developing Reuland who Harbaugh really likes, on the the practice squad. If Reuland has developed his blocking ability, he will likely already be an upgrade over Peele. He definitely has better hands than Delanie. Byham certainly is an upgrade in both areas over Peele.

For those interesred ,Nate Byham is running full speed,sprinting,cutting.. no pain,slight swelling..All this after 3 1/2 months ACL surgery
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
im just happy were taking a wr in the 1st

I'm just happy because Dwight Jones is the receiver that OTC has us taking. I am not sure about the rest of the picks. I think that we need to take a corner by at lest the 3rd round. Other than that I like the areas that OTC has us addressing although I would probably look to different players to fill those spots.
We should use this to our advantage if we can. Playcall: Play action bootleg TE drag. Line up Vernon on the left as if he'll block, fake run left, boot right, Vernon drags across to the right side of the field, fire it in there -- TOUCHDOWN. Boom. Headshot.

I've been hoping for the same thing. You must be Nostradamus or something, because that's exactly what happened tonight on the td to Vernon.
Originally posted by franklinfan:
I do not anticipate us looking at a TE in the draft, at least not early at all. Not only do we have Nate Byham coming back, who is a great blocking tight end with hands as well, but we have a developing Reuland who Harbaugh really likes, on the the practice squad. If Reuland has developed his blocking ability, he will likely already be an upgrade over Peele. He definitely has better hands than Delanie. Byham certainly is an upgrade in both areas over Peele.

For those interesred ,Nate Byham is running full speed,sprinting,cutting.. no pain,slight swelling..All this after 3 1/2 months ACL surgery

Looks like he'll be fine this coming season.

Looks like he'll be fine this coming season.

Agreed, TE depth will be there on the roster. Byham will be a key role player in this offense, opening up DW for more routes. Also pretty excited to see what Konrad Rueland can do with a year of NFL conditioning, was a little undersized as a rook but add some size and his hands could be great on 3rd down and in the redzone. Norris will be cut, Miller the starter at FB, Byham taking Norris's roster spot as back up FB/3rd TE, letting Rueland be bumped up to the 53 with little noticable impact to the roster.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Scott Wright's Draft Countdown has us taking Ohio State OT in the first round. "Anthony Davis has been a colossal bust and must be upgraded."

I share your concern. Davis hasn't been a bust IMO, but I might like to see the Niners move
Davis to RG, Staley to RT, a top rookie to LT, FA center
Or Boone to RT, Kilgore to center and a FA guard.

The center and RG positions need to be fixed first before WR, although BPA in the first round should dictate what we do in the second.
Yes it really depends. I think we have to target a starting caliber interior lineman within the first two rounds. I just don't like the dropoff into the 3rd and beyond. Although we are good at finding promising talent, we need contribution and upgraded talent there immediately. Goodwin and Snyder are not getting it done, and re-signing Rachal would be the most retarded move in the world which I don't see happening.

I would love to target DeCastro in the first if we can get him. If Peter Konz declares, obviously him as well.
OTC,
What do you think of WR Jeffrey Fuller? Maybe a second round pick for the Niners? Guard or center (even OT and move Davis to guard--although I'd like to keep a veteran next to Davis) in the first?
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Yes it really depends. I think we have to target a starting caliber interior lineman within the first two rounds. I just don't like the dropoff into the 3rd and beyond. Although we are good at finding promising talent, we need contribution and upgraded talent there immediately. Goodwin and Snyder are not getting it done, and re-signing Rachal would be the most retarded move in the world which I don't see happening.

I would love to target DeCastro in the first if we can get him. If Peter Konz declares, obviously him as well.
OTC,
What do you think of WR Jeffrey Fuller? Maybe a second round pick for the Niners? Guard or center (even OT and move Davis to guard--although I'd like to keep a veteran next to Davis) in the first?

Fuller's drastically underwhelming season may have him fall all the way to the 4th round, where he could be a steal. He dropped so many passes this year it was unreal. Considering the influx of underclassmen, he's going to really have to have a good combine to improve his stock, which right now, puts him as a 3rd rounder at best.

Right now, guys like Tommy Streeter, Dwight Jones, Marvin McNutt, Devier Posey, and Joe Adams are all valued higher currently. That said, I would take a shot on Fuller in the late 3rd if he's there, and I'd take him over Posey, personally.

With the others, I'd seriously debate in my head between the two. Streeter has height AND speed and runs good routes. Adams is a burner who can catch and has great ST's ability. McNutt is just well-balanced all around. Of course, Dwight Jones is a no brainer though. He's a first round level guy. Fuller is not.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM ]
more smiths! on that front 7
Love this mock u had me at Dwight jones everything else fills needs though so I like it. I think we don't let goldson walk though he had a pro bowl year and is important to the defense other than that great job

• cools
  • Veteran

Glad to hear.
Byham would have been a key player this season, Im sure Harbs is looking forward to having that kind of TE for next year
Fuller's drastically underwhelming season may have him fall all the way to the 4th round, where he could be a steal. He dropped so many passes this year it was unreal. Considering the influx of underclassmen, he's going to really have to have a good combine to improve his stock, which right now, puts him as a 3rd rounder at best.

Right now, guys like Tommy Streeter, Dwight Jones, Marvin McNutt, Devier Posey, and Joe Adams are all valued higher currently. That said, I would take a shot on Fuller in the late 3rd if he's there, and I'd take him over Posey, personally.

With the others, I'd seriously debate in my head between the two. Streeter has height AND speed and runs good routes. Adams is a burner who can catch and has great ST's ability. McNutt is just well-balanced all around. Of course, Dwight Jones is a no brainer though. He's a first round level guy. Fuller is not.

Tend to agree with your analysis. I think Jones has tremendous upside to his game. I wouldn't touch Posey with a ten foot pole. Absolutely no character, and will be a bust in the NFL. Poor work habits. Adams is a home run threat every time he touches the ball. My favorite small guy right now is Jarius Wright of Arkansas. He really needs to add some pounds, but he makes so many big plays. He may end up the fastest player in the draft.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If this mock happens, I'll cream my pants.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Tend to agree with your analysis. I think Jones has tremendous upside to his game. I wouldn't touch Posey with a ten foot pole. Absolutely no character, and will be a bust in the NFL. Poor work habits. Adams is a home run threat every time he touches the ball. My favorite small guy right now is Jarius Wright of Arkansas. He really needs to add some pounds, but he makes so many big plays. He may end up the fastest player in the draft.

It is a pleasure to read your analysis, guys. Thank you for taking the time to share your research in the Zone. Clock, nice job on the mock. I agree with your assessment of the Niners' needs and thought you provided us with a well-balanced draft overall, with nice, needed talent at the front end and solid developmental guys at the back end. I'd be very happy if the draft unfolded this way...

I'm still hoping that DE J. Crick is available when the Niners pick in the first because I see him as a carbon copy of Justin Smith, just a younger version. So, my question to you both is this....given the team's huge need for a big wideout, would you take Crick if he were available or stick with WR D. Jones? Just curious. I would still take Crick because when healthy, he is a top 15 talent IMHO and therefore would give the team a better value when they pick and still provide depth at a crucial position.

Cheers guys....and a happy new year to all the Zoners!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Dec 29, 2011 at 1:29 AM ]
I am happy it .no D.T. Like the Rutgers kid better at #1.
Share 49ersWebzone