LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

OnTheClock's Early Christmas Present Mock

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
No TE? Considering how much we use TE, I would draft a TE in the first before I would draft a WR (I wouldn't draft either). With Morgan and Crabtree starting, I don't think we need to spend a first on a WR.

I would never draft a TE in the 1st at all, it's a waste. None of the best TEs have been high draft picks and most of the TEs picked high have dissapointed.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
No TE? Considering how much we use TE, I would draft a TE in the first before I would draft a WR (I wouldn't draft either). With Morgan and Crabtree starting, I don't think we need to spend a first on a WR.
I agree we need to address the TE position. I started a thread about that here. I would like to see what some of the draftniks have to say about the upcoming TE prospects.

I do not anticipate us looking at a TE in the draft, at least not early at all. Not only do we have Nate Byham coming back, who is a great blocking tight end with hands as well, but we have a developing Reuland who Harbaugh really likes, on the the practice squad. If Reuland has developed his blocking ability, he will likely already be an upgrade over Peele. He definitely has better hands than Delanie. Byham certainly is an upgrade in both areas over Peele.

I appreciate your response and I agree these guys may upgrade the #3 position.

What I would like is someone who is a more versatile pass catching threat than Vernon Davis. Davis has been a non-factor in the offense most of the year. Combination of being held in to block and double teamed when he does go out. In addition, he does not make hot reads well nor adjust his routes. So while better performance by the WRs on the outside might relieve the double team, it still leaves him as a limited threat in hot read situations, a major component of what the TE should do.

I would be willing to trade Davis for either a high draft pick or a player to fill a key need if we could get a versatile pass catcher in the draft. Byham could take over the blocking duties that Davis now does leaving a draftee to play a Jimmy Graham/Antonio Gates/Jermichael Finley role.

Any thoughts along that line?

The only TE I like this year early is Fleener, but I doubt he falls past the 2nd. Maybe Michael Egnew (Missouri), but again, 3rd round guy or sooner. I don't feel like it's worth it when, as you said, Byham can take over blocking duties. And on top of this, upgrading the WR position bolsters our 4-wide and 5-wide sets when using Vernon. If we have better receivers that they have to account for, Davis will see much more opportunities. Currently, teams are not spooked in the least by Braylon and if you've noticed, are content to play Ginn one-on-one despite his speed.

Instead, they double Vernon and Crabtree, and unless Williams is on the field, you've got either Braylon or Delanie out there both dropping passes and doing nothing these days. This is why we've become easy to defend. Massive upgrades to WR will help us triple-fold.

1) Open up things more for Vernon
2) Open up more options for the offense in general, whether it be via speed or jump-ball deep threat (like Dwight Jones)
3) Improve our red zone offense due to a combination of 1 and 2.
Cant argue with anything on this OTC.

Only thought would be to trade back and pickup an additional 2nd and 3rd. But player wise it looks great.
We need more than one OL, need help at OT as well as OG/C.
Originally posted by rapid4:
We need more than one OL, need help at OT as well as OG/C.

?

we resigned Boone and have the rookie on the bench
It's the whole right side of the line, Godwin-Snyder/Rachal-Davis. Rachal will be gone or may as well be gone. Snyder is a career backup who is part of the problem, not the solution, as a starter. Davis is suspect. Boone backs up Staley, who is injured fairly often. The rookie on the bench hasn't shown that he can play. I don't think adding one G/C is sufficient while losing Rachal and perhaps Snyder.
Fine post. This would work for me. We really need a quality BIG WR.

In regards to more OLine picks, Gallery was converted from a mediocre Tackle to a pretty good Guard. Maybe we can do the same w/Davis? It sure would solve a lot of headaches if it worked.
Scott Wright's Draft Countdown has us taking Ohio State OT in the first round. "Anthony Davis has been a colossal bust and must be upgraded."
  • dj43
Scott Wright's Draft Countdown has us taking Ohio State OT in the first round. "Anthony Davis has been a colossal bust and must be upgraded."

I disagree with Wright. Davis had been playing very well this year until he sprained his ankle. It is still bothering him.
  • dj43
I agree we need to address the TE position. I started a thread about that here. I would like to see what some of the draftniks have to say about the upcoming TE prospects.

I do not anticipate us looking at a TE in the draft, at least not early at all. Not only do we have Nate Byham coming back, who is a great blocking tight end with hands as well, but we have a developing Reuland who Harbaugh really likes, on the the practice squad. If Reuland has developed his blocking ability, he will likely already be an upgrade over Peele. He definitely has better hands than Delanie. Byham certainly is an upgrade in both areas over Peele.

I appreciate your response and I agree these guys may upgrade the #3 position.

What I would like is someone who is a more versatile pass catching threat than Vernon Davis. Davis has been a non-factor in the offense most of the year. Combination of being held in to block and double teamed when he does go out. In addition, he does not make hot reads well nor adjust his routes. So while better performance by the WRs on the outside might relieve the double team, it still leaves him as a limited threat in hot read situations, a major component of what the TE should do.

I would be willing to trade Davis for either a high draft pick or a player to fill a key need if we could get a versatile pass catcher in the draft. Byham could take over the blocking duties that Davis now does leaving a draftee to play a Jimmy Graham/Antonio Gates/Jermichael Finley role.

Any thoughts along that line?

The only TE I like this year early is Fleener, but I doubt he falls past the 2nd. Maybe Michael Egnew (Missouri), but again, 3rd round guy or sooner. I don't feel like it's worth it when, as you said, Byham can take over blocking duties. And on top of this, upgrading the WR position bolsters our 4-wide and 5-wide sets when using Vernon. If we have better receivers that they have to account for, Davis will see much more opportunities. Currently, teams are not spooked in the least by Braylon and if you've noticed, are content to play Ginn one-on-one despite his speed.

Instead, they double Vernon and Crabtree, and unless Williams is on the field, you've got either Braylon or Delanie out there both dropping passes and doing nothing these days. This is why we've become easy to defend. Massive upgrades to WR will help us triple-fold.

1) Open up things more for Vernon
2) Open up more options for the offense in general, whether it be via speed or jump-ball deep threat (like Dwight Jones)
3) Improve our red zone offense due to a combination of 1 and 2.
My exploration of TE options is a radical one but I would be satisfied with a true #1 receiver that commands at least a part-time double team. Right now, WR is the greatest need on this team, IMO.

Nice draft
That is a good draft! Nice early Christmas present. Especially like the Derek Wolfe pick in the 5th. Saw him play only once this year, but he was the best player on the field and consistently made plays behind the line of scrimmage in both the run and pass game. Good value for Jones in the second as a replacement for Goodwin or at RG.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
That is a good draft! Nice early Christmas present. Especially like the Derek Wolfe pick in the 5th. Saw him play only once this year, but he was the best player on the field and consistently made plays behind the line of scrimmage in both the run and pass game. Good value for Jones in the second as a replacement for Goodwin or at RG.

I admit, the last three players on my list are slotted on their current value. But projecting forward, It's hard to see them being at those spots. Wolfe, Johnson, and McCray all have a chance to go anywhere from 2 to 3 rounds higher. We still have 4 months til the draft, but I think ultimately, Wolfe, Johnson and McCray will each fall somewhere between the 3rd and 5th round.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I disagree with Wright. Davis had been playing very well this year until he sprained his ankle. It is still bothering him.

I gotta agree with you there dj. I think Davis has held up well, he looks lost when Chilo is lined up next to him, but looks a lot better when Snyder is there.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I gotta agree with you there dj. I think Davis has held up well, he looks lost when Chilo is lined up next to him, but looks a lot better when Snyder is there.

The combination of Davis' ankle problem and Snyder's hamstring has really hurt the offensive performance. I suspect it has hurt the red zone performance more than we realize. With no push on the right side, most of the plays have been run to the left. All teams study tendencies of their opponents and picking up the preference of running left would be easy to spot for any team. They just focus on stopping everything to the left and Davis/Crabtree and the 49ers are dead.
Share 49ersWebzone