LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Do we draft another QB in 2012?

Do we draft another QB in 2012?

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Yes, but I'm an admitted kaepernick hater. I think it would be wise to at least use a late round pick and bring in a QB to compete with Tolzien.

Of course, there aren't many late round QB picks that I'm big on at the moment. I'm a big fan of Weeden if he falls due to his age. I think Cousins has awesome potential, great release, great technique and great arm strength, just needs to improve accuracy and is prone to bad decisions. Russell WiIlson, Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, Dominique Davis also make the watch list. I mean, if Kellen Moore is around in the 7th....why not?

I'm curious about Yale's Patrick Witt does. I honestly haven't seen him play, so I don't have an opinion on him. But seems like a smart guy, prototypical size for NFL QB, obviously a smart guy, and most prolific passer in Yale history. Hopefully he gets invited to some workouts/combines/shrine games ect. so we can see him perform.

I too would like to take a look at some late rounders. I don't think we should spend any high picks on QBs but it doesn't hurt to look at some of those guys in the late rounds or free agent pick up after the daft. I have no idea how far some of these guys will drop but if they do, doesn't hurt taking a look at them.
Always worth taking a look at a late round qb selection. Like an O lineman, you should take one a year. Although our record with late picks is quite good IIRC, they are enough of a gamble to justify that use.
No surprise here...I dont like Kaep.
If a guy like Foles falls I say we think about it and possibly pull the trigger...but it really depends on the draft.
I certainly dont want to reach on a guy and trade a lot away for another average QB like Kaepernick.
  • dj43
Originally posted by sfout:
I think we could have an extremely small shot at draft a QB but it's very unlikely. Smith will be back, Kaep will be practicing his throwing motion for another year and Tolzien could be back but before we even think about draft a QB Harbaugh will be calling Josh Johnson up and asking if he wants to come back home lol. Signing JJ is a far more likely option then drafting a QB.

With the poor season Freeman has had, there is ZERO chance TB will let Johnson go without a very good counter-offer.
If the right one is there I wouldn't mind it. But we will have between 10 - 12 wins at the end of the season. That's drafting very late. So the top tier ones will be gone. I think we are stuck with what we have for a while longer.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd rather not draft a QB, I'd rather see if Kaepernick develops into our future starter. Give him a few games to start and if he doesn't look like hes progressed, then draft one in 2013. And I'd wait to see Tolzien in the Preseason, before drafting one too. Who knows Tolzien just might beat out Kaepernick for the #2 spot.
I believe our moneys in Alex and Colin.
Originally posted by hofer36:
yes because kaepernick has been a dismal failure...he is only hitting 60% of his passes and has missed on his last 2
No TDs either. Bust.
  • dj43
With such a huge need at WR, I don't see how the 49ers could afford to use their 1st round pick on a QB. Even if they did, the chances of getting a high potential guy while drafting in the low 20s are not good.

The overwhelming majority of successful starting QBs in this league are 1st round picks. Tom Brady lightning only strikes once a millennium. If you want a guy with potential to be elite, you are going to have to spend a high 1st round pick.

The 49ers invested heavily in Kaepernick in both time and the draft pick, and though I love the kid's story, he has shown nothing yet that indicates he can be the long-term answer. I hope he does turn out well but he has a long way to go. Tolzien is a better prospect, IMO.

Love it or hate it, the 49ers still have to hope Smith continues to improve next season or that one of the two young guys will win the job. They have other more important spots to fill than to use yet another pick on a QB.
NO, we won't. We have 2 guys in the wings w/ starting capability. AND - we have some holes to fill like RG, WR [2?], C, S. Also some weak spots that need to be addressed, C, OLB, DLine Depth.

I think Alex Smith get resigned for 2 more years. Kap will ride the pine and get more & more playing time and will start his 3rd season. - Plan A

Although I only saw him in one pre-season game, I was really impressed w/Tolzien. Who knows, he may beat out Kap as a starter.

It may not be a priority but you can bet that Harbaugh will keep his options open just in case there's someone out there (that he thinks he can mold) happens to slip the draft cracks. Most of us knows that he's using Alex to mainly manage the game instead of turning him loose, and that's because he doesn't fully trust him.

I'm sure that this is NOT what Harbaugh wants nor is it his plans for the future. So I wouldn't be surprised if he were to select another QB somewhere down the line and let go of an existing one.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
It may not be a priority but you can bet that Harbaugh will keep his options open just in case there's someone out there (that he thinks he can mold) happens to slip the draft cracks. Most of us knows that he's using Alex to mainly manage the game instead of turning him loose, and that's because he doesn't fully trust him.

I'm sure that this is NOT what Harbaugh wants nor is it his plans for the future. So I wouldn't be surprised if he were to select another QB somewhere down the line and let go of an existing one.

I would be shocked if Baalke/Harbaugh picked another QB ANYWHERE in this draft. They spent an extra pick to move up to grab Kaepernick higher than most expected him to go. That tells me that they both believe they have their man for the future. For them to spend another pick on a QB this year would be to admit they made a big mistake on CK. Letting Tolzien go in exchange for another #3 QB doesn't make sense.

This team will never every single one of its picks to fill holes in the current roster. Of course some of that will depend on FA but with so many question marks in the secondary, Justin Smith's age, Frank Gore's age, RG and center, the chances of filling those holes alone is scratchy much less getting someone that could actually be a top level QB in the future.

I just don't see it happening.
Originally posted by valrod33:
No, we drafted Kaepernick, If we draft another QB then the Kaepernick pick was a waste

I agree, we invested in him, so we need to give him a chance to develop. If he hasn't progressed by year three then we should cut the cord, but not before that IMO.
no
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
No surprise here...I dont like Kaep.
If a guy like Foles falls I say we think about it and possibly pull the trigger...but it really depends on the draft.
I certainly dont want to reach on a guy and trade a lot away for another average QB like Kaepernick.

I think it is too early to call CK an average QB. To me he is a developing QB. In my opinion we should hold judgment untill he develops. I don't get the hate for a guy who hasn't gotten his chance yet. Let him continue to grow and get a chance to play. If that happens and he sucks, then fine, spew all the hate you want. Until then be patient and see what happens. Everyone wants players to develop immediately and that doesn't always happen.
Share 49ersWebzone