There are 243 users in the forums

OTC's Winter Wonderland Mock 2011

Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
I'd like to see first 4 picks roughly like this.
1. Jared Crick NEB DE 6'6" 285 been hurt this season but has 20 sacks in roughly 2 1/2 years.
2. Marvin McNutt IOWA WR 6'4" 215 78ca 1269yd 12 td's 16ypc
3. TJ McDonald USC FS 6'3" 205 69 tk 3int
4. Omar Bolden ASU CB

Probably go for a guard, defenisve tackle, center, and maybe another WR depending on FA's.

Even though I doubt McDonald will be there at the lower end of the third round, I love the first two picks.

If Crick hadn't gotten hurt this year, he may have been a top 10 pick so he would be a terrific value pick at the end of the first round. He would be a great eventual replacement for Justin Smith and a fantastic addition to the DL rotation as a rookie.

McNutt would be a very nice addition to the WR corps, which next season will be very much a question mark because of the injuries to Morgan and Edwards this year (not to mention Crabtree's chronic foot issue). I actually think the Niners should draft 2 wideouts in 2012 and then add another in FA if they think Edwards or Morgan can't recover fully.

Choosing a FS, OLB, or OG in round three would all be fine with me. I think the team should just go BPA at that point focusing on those positions of need.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Not bad, i like it.

When drafting Wright are you basing it off need or just BPA?

Also I feel that we are weak at corner, are you waiting to draft corner becuase there isn't a lot available early on or is that just how your draft fell?

Wright could very well turn out to be both the BPA and a player at a position of need at the end of the 1st round. At this point, before the declared underclassmen are known, Wright is already seen as a late 1st rounder. If he runs a 4.3, I don't think there's a chance in the world he falls out of the first. I don't see him running any worse than say a 4.46. As far as the CB, that's just how it came together for this one. I have Trumaine Johnson as a third round talent who will slide because of off-field issues and small school status.

Originally posted by jreff22:
OK OTC....

First off, 3. Kevin Zeitler-OG-Wisconsin-love this pick!!! Wisconsin puts out the best OL on a consistent basis, I have eyeballed this kid and glad you have to.

Now I have no qualms with WR but I don't like the idea of going after a little guy. If we consider a 3 class system:
Small and shifty-Desean Jackson
Medium strong build possession guys -Fitzgerald
Big physical presence-Andre Johnson

We already have the small shifty and 2 medium guys in Morgan and Crabs, why not go after a monster? Guys like Jones or McNutt would give Alex a bigger target and create more matchup problems for corners?

Why wait for so long on DB's? We could be looking at only have 1 starter on the roster next year at both Safety positions and we need better CB's pronto.

Depth on the DL is a must so no arguments on that.

You may want to add a FB to the list

Overall great job!!

side note....
Who would be your top 5 realistic targets for round 1?

I'm trying to look at this draft from a Baalke perspective as much as possible, more than a fan perspective. Of course, I'm well aware of what many of us fans would desire and all of these players "current values" as well. I have accounted for potential slight rises/falls for some of these players since we have several months to go before their true draft grades start to become firmly established.

I don't think you can go wrong with the WR argument, we need BOTH a big, tall WR, and a speedster. As much as people say we have a shifty/speedy guy..... I'm sorry folks, but after the many drops by Ginn, he can't be counted on as a reliable deep threat. And Kyle Williams? He has speed, but not the acceleration of Ginn. He's more quick, but when has he been streaking down the field? Almost never. He is still a work in progress and on top of that, I can't imagine us going into next season banking on him being the only guy who can play in the slot, especially since he's battled injuries since entering the league (Williams). What if he gets hurt in TC again?

We have several early and mid-round options that would fulfill our WR need.

As far as the DB issue. Yes, I have the DB's later, more because I think Baalke has no problem waiting and truly believes he can find value. In addition, for this draft in particular, it also comes with the consideration that we may bring in a couple DB's via free agency. (When I start adding in full mock off-seasons, this will make the mocks more understandable and clear).
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Even though I doubt McDonald will be there at the lower end of the third round, I love the first two picks.

If Crick hadn't gotten hurt this year, he may have been a top 10 pick so he would be a terrific value pick at the end of the first round. He would be a great eventual replacement for Justin Smith and a fantastic addition to the DL rotation as a rookie.

McNutt would be a very nice addition to the WR corps, which next season will be very much a question mark because of the injuries to Morgan and Edwards this year (not to mention Crabtree's chronic foot issue). I actually think the Niners should draft 2 wideouts in 2012 and then add another in FA if they think Edwards or Morgan can't recover fully.

Choosing a FS, OLB, or OG in round three would all be fine with me. I think the team should just go BPA at that point focusing on those positions of need.

We are actually in complete agreement on this. One step ahead of you, as the other day I already had started formulating a new mock with two receivers. As I stated in my prior post, we could use BOTH a big receiver AND a speed threat, and I wouldn't be surprised if we tried this in the draft.

As far as Crick is concerned. Yes, the injury history (knee, pectoral) should drop him some. Who knows how far, but Cameron Heyward, a beast at Ohio State, fell all the way down to the #31 this past draft, so we'll see. Crick would make a sensational DE rotation. Crick compares to our own Justin Smith and the Steelers' Aaron Smith (another star 3-4 DE). Think of the DE rotation -- McDonald, Justin, Crick, Ricky Jean (DE/NT), Dobbs.

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
We could go Kendall Wright, right now I see him as a high 2nd rounder, so if a team thinks he fits their system or what type of offense they want to run, he can easily go in the late 1st. If he runs a 4.3, we won't have a chance to pick him though, he will vault up into just oustide the top 10.... I have him as the 5th best WR out there. I aslo wouldn't mind taking a WR early, I think its a department we are lacking. Morgan and Crabtree are possession and neither is a deep threat or adds that big tall WR dimension (like Braylon Edwards does, who IMO fits our offense very well when healthy).

Kendall Reyes in the 2nd IMO is a reach, I think he is more of a late 3rd rounder. Personally I'd like us to go for some secondary help in the 2nd round, I think there could be a couple of good CBs there such as Georgia's Boykin or Vanderbilt's Casey Howard. Also, George Illoka, FS from Boise St, may be available and I'd like us to grab him if possible as I think we definately need to add a FS in the draft.

Zeitler? Great pick, I'd be happy grabbing him. Can't go wrong with a Wisconsin O-line, right?

As someone mentioned earlier, and after thinking about it, we very well might have to take Zeitler in the second if we want him. 1) because he's likely to rise in a class with not as much OL depth it appears, and 2) because we'll be selecting in the latter half of these rounds.

Personally, I feel that looking for one secondary player early is not a bad idea, but no more. I think Baalke is confident in finding value/good talent later on, and of course free agency will be huge. I think Rogers will be back, and although I really like Spencer as CB depth, I think we should first seek a trade, then release if we have no plans for him otherwise. Culliver and Brock will grow. Again, there will be MANY free agent CB options with all the one-year deals right now. We'll see what happens, but we may not have to go CB early.

However, after thought, I believe a safety early would be a good idea. We have four contract year safeties right now (Goldson, Spillman, Williams). I want Spillman back. Goldson is 50-50. Williams - Bye. Reggie - bye. That leaves us with, a possible Safety depth of:

Spillman (FS), Whitner (SS), Colin Jones (SS)

I see us perhaps signing one safety and drafting another. I like Aaron Henry (Wisconsin), T.J. McDonald (USC), and Markelle Martin (Oklahoma St.(.

Last thing -- I know Reyes could seem like a reach now, but think of how many months are to go. With all the information I know, both historical and about the players themselves, I'm projecting for slight rises/falls to try to get an accurate gauge of where the player will stand in April. Reyes is at worst a 3rd rounder, but could go as high as the second. We're not sure just yet. But in any case, just throwing that out there.

^^^^ Oh yeah, there will be tons of rising and falling. So right now I might think Reyes is a reach, and around draft time I might be saying he is a 1st rounder for sure! lol
OTC, great to see your work. In a nutshell, the Niners will have a busy offseason, and much of what they do in the draft is directly related to what happens in free agency first.

The players I am targetting in the first round are all interior linemen: DeCasto, Konz, Glenn. Since I believe all are going to be gone by the time the Niners pick, I am simply going BPA this point in the first, whether CB, WR, FS, etc.

In the second, if on the board, I am getting center Ben Jones of Georgia, who is having a terrific season, twice winning SEC lineman of the week honors in a conference of talented DT's. We need a long-term plan at center, and while some fans are excited about the potential of Kilgore, I think it really a stretch to feel comfortable pegging him as the centerpiece of our offensive line, and a guy to project in the starting role.

In the third, I am going a different direction of Wright. I am drafting Jarius Wright of Arkansas, whose speed may propel him into the top 75 picks. I find him better value than Kendall Wright at a round or two lower. Both are smurf-like players who are quick. JW may end up one of the three or four fastest players in the draft this season.

In the fourth, I am going secondary, regardless if having drafted a player in the first round. I do like the pick you make of Kelcie McCray, who is a sleeper, and might crack that top 100 pick area. Fans are going to be excited about his future in the NFL.

In the later rounds, we simply have to draft a toilet clogger to spell Soap. We passed on a number of players last year, including one that I had in my mock, Jerrell Powe, of the Chiefs.

Love the work as always.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

We are actually in complete agreement on this. One step ahead of you, as the other day I already had started formulating a new mock with two receivers. As I stated in my prior post, we could use BOTH a big receiver AND a speed threat, and I wouldn't be surprised if we tried this in the draft.

As far as Crick is concerned. Yes, the injury history (knee, pectoral) should drop him some. Who knows how far, but Cameron Heyward, a beast at Ohio State, fell all the way down to the #31 this past draft, so we'll see. Crick would make a sensational DE rotation. Crick compares to our own Justin Smith and the Steelers' Aaron Smith (another star 3-4 DE). Think of the DE rotation -- McDonald, Justin, Crick, Ricky Jean (DE/NT), Dobbs.

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
We could go Kendall Wright, right now I see him as a high 2nd rounder, so if a team thinks he fits their system or what type of offense they want to run, he can easily go in the late 1st. If he runs a 4.3, we won't have a chance to pick him though, he will vault up into just oustide the top 10.... I have him as the 5th best WR out there. I aslo wouldn't mind taking a WR early, I think its a department we are lacking. Morgan and Crabtree are possession and neither is a deep threat or adds that big tall WR dimension (like Braylon Edwards does, who IMO fits our offense very well when healthy).

Kendall Reyes in the 2nd IMO is a reach, I think he is more of a late 3rd rounder. Personally I'd like us to go for some secondary help in the 2nd round, I think there could be a couple of good CBs there such as Georgia's Boykin or Vanderbilt's Casey Howard. Also, George Illoka, FS from Boise St, may be available and I'd like us to grab him if possible as I think we definately need to add a FS in the draft.

Zeitler? Great pick, I'd be happy grabbing him. Can't go wrong with a Wisconsin O-line, right?

As someone mentioned earlier, and after thinking about it, we very well might have to take Zeitler in the second if we want him. 1) because he's likely to rise in a class with not as much OL depth it appears, and 2) because we'll be selecting in the latter half of these rounds.

Personally, I feel that looking for one secondary player early is not a bad idea, but no more. I think Baalke is confident in finding value/good talent later on, and of course free agency will be huge. I think Rogers will be back, and although I really like Spencer as CB depth, I think we should first seek a trade, then release if we have no plans for him otherwise. Culliver and Brock will grow. Again, there will be MANY free agent CB options with all the one-year deals right now. We'll see what happens, but we may not have to go CB early.

However, after thought, I believe a safety early would be a good idea. We have four contract year safeties right now (Goldson, Spillman, Williams). I want Spillman back. Goldson is 50-50. Williams - Bye. Reggie - bye. That leaves us with, a possible Safety depth of:

Spillman (FS), Whitner (SS), Colin Jones (SS)

I see us perhaps signing one safety and drafting another. I like Aaron Henry (Wisconsin), T.J. McDonald (USC), and Markelle Martin (Oklahoma St.(.

Last thing -- I know Reyes could seem like a reach now, but think of how many months are to go. With all the information I know, both historical and about the players themselves, I'm projecting for slight rises/falls to try to get an accurate gauge of where the player will stand in April. Reyes is at worst a 3rd rounder, but could go as high as the second. We're not sure just yet. But in any case, just throwing that out there.

I also want Spillman back at backup FS/SS. He is a RFA, so he should be tendered at a 1yr deal worth $1.2M. I can see him along with Alex Boone getting deals thru like 2013 or 2014, lower money for Spillman, and a raise for Boone.
  • dj43

I like that approach. I believe Harbaugh fully understands how limited the current WR group is and will make a move to bring more balance into the offense. With Edwards being such an unknown quantity and NO speed other than Ginn, this offense will be forever limited to Crabtree and Morgan, both nice players but don't scare any of the better secondaries in the league.

I don't see either those needs filled in FA so I think it will be up to the draft. Once the underclassmen declare, the picture will be more clear obviously, for now, I would bet that Baalke has looked at both of those kinds or receivers and they would be on the first day list.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
OTC, great to see your work. In a nutshell, the Niners will have a busy offseason, and much of what they do in the draft is directly related to what happens in free agency first.

The players I am targetting in the first round are all interior linemen: DeCasto, Konz, Glenn. Since I believe all are going to be gone by the time the Niners pick, I am simply going BPA this point in the first, whether CB, WR, FS, etc.

In the second, if on the board, I am getting center Ben Jones of Georgia, who is having a terrific season, twice winning SEC lineman of the week honors in a conference of talented DT's. We need a long-term plan at center, and while some fans are excited about the potential of Kilgore, I think it really a stretch to feel comfortable pegging him as the centerpiece of our offensive line, and a guy to project in the starting role.

In the third, I am going a different direction of Wright. I am drafting Jarius Wright of Arkansas, whose speed may propel him into the top 75 picks. I find him better value than Kendall Wright at a round or two lower. Both are smurf-like players who are quick. JW may end up one of the three or four fastest players in the draft this season.

In the fourth, I am going secondary, regardless if having drafted a player in the first round. I do like the pick you make of Kelcie McCray, who is a sleeper, and might crack that top 100 pick area. Fans are going to be excited about his future in the NFL.

In the later rounds, we simply have to draft a toilet clogger to spell Soap. We passed on a number of players last year, including one that I had in my mock, Jerrell Powe, of the Chiefs.

Love the work as always.

Where do you see Joe Adams going? Many boards see him as a late 3rd, early 4th type pick.

But we've seen ST players go much higher in the draft.

Love the work as always.

Thanks, MD. I will try to succinctly address each of your statements.

1. I hadn't quite thought about it, but this is extremely true. Having an NFL-ready center would give multi-fold benefits to the team. It would allow Kilgore to focus on OG, probably starting soon into the future. I really like the promise seen in Kilgore, but it's true he'd need even more development if he was to be a center. At guard, I imagine he'd be able to step in even sooner, and contribute more. As it is, I think he brings more to the table than Chilo, personally... -- If we got ourselves a center of the future, we could very well have a monster OL consisting of young players either entering or yet-to-enter their prime. (Staley-Iupati-Jones-Kilgore-Davis looks pretty darn good). But summing up, you're right that Ben Jones would be the better player, if available in the 2nd, than Zeitler probably. I just don't think he'd be there anymore. Hence the Zeitler selection.

2. Yes, there are plenty of CB, WR, and FS options (collectively) that could be had at the end of the first, and it'll be interesting to see how FA pans out, so we can get a better idea of who that target will be. Some players on that possible list, I will note below in a moment.

3. Either Wright or Joe Adams would be great pick-ups in the middle rounds. We'll see what they run. My hope is that one of them -- or a player like them -- somehow makes it to our 4th rounder if we draft a big receiver in a preceding round.

4. In this draft, I think it's imperative we draft a safety. It would be absurd to pass on one. I could live with us not drafting a corner if we got one in FA. But we will need to draft AND sign a safety this off-season.

5. Last year, I wanted Chris Neild. He went to Washington in the 7th and has already made solid contributions there.

Here are 5 (not in order)

1. CB Chase Minnifield, Virginia
2. WR Dwight Jones, North Carolina
3. FS Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State
4. WR Kendall Wright, Baylor
5. DE Jared Crick, Nebraska

Honorable mention: DE Billy Winn (Boise State), OL Barrett Jones* (Alabama)
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM ]

Love the work as always.

1. I hadn't quite thought about it, but this is extremely true. Having an NFL-ready center would give multi-fold benefits to the team. It would allow Kilgore to focus on OG, probably starting soon into the future. I really like the promise seen in Kilgore, but it's true he'd need even more development if he was to be a center. At guard, I imagine he'd be able to step in even sooner, and contribute more. As it is, I think he brings more to the table than Chilo, personally... -- If we got ourselves a center of the future, we could very well have a monster OL consisting of young players either entering or yet-to-enter their prime. (Staley-Iupati-Jones-Kilgore-Davis looks pretty darn good). But summing up, you're right that Ben Jones would be the better player, if available in the 2nd, than Zeitler probably. I just don't think he'd be there anymore. Hence the Zeitler selection.

2. Yes, there are plenty of CB, WR, and FS options (collectively) that could be had at the end of the first, and it'll be interesting to see how FA pans out, so we can get a better idea of who that target will be. Some players on that possible list, I will note below in a moment.

3. Either Wright or Joe Adams would be great pick-ups in the middle rounds. We'll see what they run. My hope is that one of them -- or a player like them -- somehow makes it to our 4th rounder if we draft a big receiver in a preceding round.

4. In this draft, I think it's imperative we draft a safety. It would be absurd to pass on one. I could live with us not drafting a corner if we got one in FA. But we will need to draft AND sign a safety this off-season.

5. Last year, I wanted Chris Neild. He went to Washington in the 7th and has already made solid contributions there.

One question for you both on WR:

Where will Ryan Broyles be drafted after his knee injury and would either of you take him as one of the two WR's that you both propose for the Niners?
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:08 PM ]

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Where will Ryan Broyles be drafted after his knee injury and would either of you take him as one of the two WR's that you both propose for the Niners?

Hard to say. One team weighs such an injury more than another. Then they have to like the player to begin with.

I think the earliest Broyles goes is the fourth. Probably 4th-5th round range is my guess. I wouldn't take him. I don't trust Broyles, don't trust the injury, and have too many other guys I think are better players. That's just me personally.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Where do you see Joe Adams going? Many boards see him as a late 3rd, early 4th type pick.

But we've seen ST players go much higher in the draft.
Depends how fast he runs. The special teams value really bumps his stock to a third round as a bottom floor, in my opinion, but I don't think he offers as much as a wide receiver compared to many other eligible draftees. I think teams will really target him for special teams first, and then as a fourth WR to stretch the defense.

I really like Zeitler a lot, and his versatility is strong, as he is playing RT right now. Just a superb college football player. Heck, draft the whole Wisconsin line, which is my favorite unit to watch of any college team in the country. I still cannot believe Wisconsin has two losses. If someone can explain that to me...

You nailed the Chris Neild pick, and I am feeling pretty good about the Justin Rogers pick. He's already the nickel backer in Buffalo, and the team is very high on him. Stunned that Jordan Todman was dumped by the Chargers. By far, my worst pick of last year.

Agree on safeties. Very curious to see how Mark Barron works out and run this offseason. Probably a second rounder, but maybe he turns a few heads and moves up the board.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Broyles is a kid I try to find a reason to downgrade, and every time I do, he simply makes more plays. I really like the player. He's never going to be a number one, and never going to run fast, but he just gets the game. He is a natural. Get him on a Tom Brady team, and look out.

That ACL is going to kill his draft stock. I like taking risks on great college players (I had Marcus Cannon as a 4th round selection last year), and Broyles, to me, gives solid 5th round value. I have a feeling someone will pull the lever in that area, even though he won't be able to work out for teams, and probably will be limited until late in training camp, or as a PUP player.
MD and OTC..

how would you guys rate the DB class? CB, FS, and SS...seems like we could draft one of each!! Any favorites?
Share 49ersWebzone