LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

OTC's Winter Wonderland Mock 2011

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I thought we got Aldon Smith in the 2011 draft?

Yes, but I'm not sure what the question here is? Including Aldon, we only have 3 OLB right now. Brooks, Aldon, and Haralson. We need the pass-rushing depth.

Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Love it.

Great mock OTC! Any chance Wright rises past us in the 1st? If he's not available who're some other guys at the end of the 1st you'd look at?

It takes only one team to love you, so it's possible. But depending on draft declarations, someone very good at WR should be available to us in the back half of the first or second. If he's not there, I'd go after Dwight Jones who is very likely to rise to 1st round consideration if he hasn't already. Mohamed Sanu is another option in the 1st if he declares. In the 2nd-3rd you start getting into guys like McNutt, Joe Adams, DeVier Posey and A.J. Jenkins.

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Like the position picks, but just question the order. I know free agency will have a lot more influence on the draft next year, but waiting till the 5th round to draft a CB or S? I consider that one of the Niners biggest needs and worthy of their attention in the first three rounds. Would be nice to get any of the LSU or 'Bama secondary prospects late in the first or in the second round.

I pretty much agree with this. Not sure they can wait that long to invest in the secondary. But Reyes is a good player and the d line needs some youth and depth.

It really depends on free agency. Culliver looks like he will be the starter soon, but if we re-sign Rogers and perhaps release Spencer (a trade would be great though), we may look to add a starting CB in Free Agency. There will be more available (especially considering the ones that were on one-year deals this season). Johnson is a 3rd round talent who will fall because of the off-field stuff and his small school, so waiting that long to draft a CB of his caliber is a great strategic move. Obviously, in the end, it will depend on who's available at each spot because we will probably take BPA players and/or guys with the most upside.

Rogers, FA, Culliver, Brock (if he keeps developing), Brown, Johnson looks like it could be a solid group if you consider improvement from Culliver's rookie season and Brock who is still very young but looks promising.

As far as safety -- this will be HUGELY dependent on FA. If Goldson returns or we sign a new starter, it's doubtful we grab one early. If not, we'll almost have to look FS early -- and those options figure to include Markelle Martin (1st round), T.J. McDonald (1st), Aaron Henry (3rd), and/or Donnie Fletcher (3rd - good CB, could be even better safety).
True I think free agency will dictate if they go WR or CB in the 1st round. Is Fletcher considering switching to safety? He has pretty good size for a CB. I watched him have a great game against MD's Torrey Smith last year and he shut down his side of the field this year as well vs MD.

Yes, but I'm not sure what the question here is? Including Aldon, we only have 3 OLB right now. Brooks, Aldon, and Haralson. We need the pass-rushing depth.

I was just busting your balls. It would be the 2012 draft, not 2011.

Oh, haha. Nice catch. Totally hadn't changed my template over yet.

Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Love it.

Great mock OTC! Any chance Wright rises past us in the 1st? If he's not available who're some other guys at the end of the 1st you'd look at?

It takes only one team to love you, so it's possible. But depending on draft declarations, someone very good at WR should be available to us in the back half of the first or second. If he's not there, I'd go after Dwight Jones who is very likely to rise to 1st round consideration if he hasn't already. Mohamed Sanu is another option in the 1st if he declares. In the 2nd-3rd you start getting into guys like McNutt, Joe Adams, DeVier Posey and A.J. Jenkins.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Like the position picks, but just question the order. I know free agency will have a lot more influence on the draft next year, but waiting till the 5th round to draft a CB or S? I consider that one of the Niners biggest needs and worthy of their attention in the first three rounds. Would be nice to get any of the LSU or 'Bama secondary prospects late in the first or in the second round.

I pretty much agree with this. Not sure they can wait that long to invest in the secondary. But Reyes is a good player and the d line needs some youth and depth.

It really depends on free agency. Culliver looks like he will be the starter soon, but if we re-sign Rogers and perhaps release Spencer (a trade would be great though), we may look to add a starting CB in Free Agency. There will be more available (especially considering the ones that were on one-year deals this season). Johnson is a 3rd round talent who will fall because of the off-field stuff and his small school, so waiting that long to draft a CB of his caliber is a great strategic move. Obviously, in the end, it will depend on who's available at each spot because we will probably take BPA players and/or guys with the most upside.

Rogers, FA, Culliver, Brock (if he keeps developing), Brown, Johnson looks like it could be a solid group if you consider improvement from Culliver's rookie season and Brock who is still very young but looks promising.

As far as safety -- this will be HUGELY dependent on FA. If Goldson returns or we sign a new starter, it's doubtful we grab one early. If not, we'll almost have to look FS early -- and those options figure to include Markelle Martin (1st round), T.J. McDonald (1st), Aaron Henry (3rd), and/or Donnie Fletcher (3rd - good CB, could be even better safety).
True I think free agency will dictate if they go WR or CB in the 1st round. Is Fletcher considering switching to safety? He has pretty good size for a CB. I watched him have a great game against MD's Torrey Smith last year and he shut down his side of the field this year as well vs MD.

No, in all likelihood he will not move to safety. I think he's a terrific option to look at as a CB prospect for us honestly, but considering our new tendency to make position switches, I was just throwing it out there. Honestly, I think Fletcher would be a terrific pick in the third to bolster our CB depth. After Minnifield, Fletcher best meets the size specification I'd prefer for our corners.

If we were to go after Fletcher in the 3rd, we could go after a number of combinations in the first and second. WR-OL, OL-WR, FS-WR, FS-OL, DL-WR, DL-OL... etc...
I'd like to see first 4 picks roughly like this.
1. Jared Crick NEB DE 6'6" 285 been hurt this season but has 20 sacks in roughly 2 1/2 years.
2. Marvin McNutt IOWA WR 6'4" 215 78ca 1269yd 12 td's 16ypc
3. TJ McDonald USC FS 6'3" 205 69 tk 3int
4. Omar Bolden ASU CB

Probably go for a guard, defenisve tackle, center, and maybe another WR depending on FA's.
Question - Don't we get a 7th pick for Taylor Mays?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Question - Don't we get a 7th pick for Taylor Mays?

i think its a 2013 seventh.:)
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Beat me to the punch on the mock...damn you.

Thoughts:

- I like the Wright pick. He provides a great need of speed and YAC that this team desperately needs. Reminds me of Santana Moss. That being said, I think he's more of a early-mid 2nd rounder due to his frame though. I hope Baalke would try and trade down with the Vikes before selecting Wright.

- I like the selection of depth for the D-line, but I think 2nd round is way too early for that. I'd say secondary and center/guard would be better picks in terms of BPA and need. I really like Jaye Howard with our 3rd round pick from Florida. Raw body, but similar build and style to Ray McDonald.

- I don't think Zeitler will be there near the end of the third (been a while since we've had an original draft pick in that spot). A lot of teams are in desperate need of a sound OG, and late 2nd/early 3rd is realistic. Hell of a pick if we can snag him.

Good job overall. Draft comes off as Baalke-esque: players to develop for the future, not necessarily pegged to immediately contribute.
[ Edited by GEEK on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM ]
Great job OTC
  • buck
  • Veteran
I like Kendall Wright in the first. One of my three favorite players in this draft.

In the second I would look for a DB. Just think it is too early to spend a high pick on the future replacement for Justin Smith.
But, I would go for Kawann Short if he comes out.
Markelle Martin would be nice and he might last into the second.

Like Kevin Zeitler in the third. Although David DeCastro is the player, along with Kendall Wright, I really want.

I agree that we need to get another OLB. Not sure who it should be yet.
Being unclear, I would take CB in the fourth. I like Leonard Johnson.

I also have us getting a fourth round comp. I would take Brian Quick WR from Appalachian St.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Great mock, I know of all of these players and would be ecstatic if we had a draft like this. Good call on the Trumaine Johnson pick, JH and Baalke are showing the willingness to work with "character concern" types and a knack for small school talent. I'm really excited for the draft this year with a full season of scouting by this regime and the ability to really go nuts with trades I know we'll have one hell of draft this year.

Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
I'd like to see first 4 picks roughly like this.
1. Jared Crick NEB DE 6'6" 285 been hurt this season but has 20 sacks in roughly 2 1/2 years.
2. Marvin McNutt IOWA WR 6'4" 215 78ca 1269yd 12 td's 16ypc
3. TJ McDonald USC FS 6'3" 205 69 tk 3int
4. Omar Bolden ASU CB

Probably go for a guard, defenisve tackle, center, and maybe another WR depending on FA's.

Crick is the guy I want in the first, as long as hes healthy which he should be.
I like the rest but I dont think McDonald will last to the 3rd, as of now hes expected to go late first early second. Would love to get Tim's son here.
Trumaine is a quadruple threat.lol. He can throw the ball(wa a QB in HS that threw for 1800 yards, 22 TDs and rushed for 500yds with only 5 INTs), he came into Montana as a WR but changed to CB because they need more depth at the CB and he played CB in HS. He can also play FS. He's really good at CB. Alot of people are sleepin' on this guy.
OK OTC....

First off, 3. Kevin Zeitler-OG-Wisconsin-love this pick!!! Wisconsin puts out the best OL on a consistent basis, I have eyeballed this kid and glad you have to.

Now I have no qualms with WR but I don't like the idea of going after a little guy. If we consider a 3 class system:
Small and shifty-Desean Jackson
Medium strong build possession guys -Fitzgerald
Big physical presence-Andre Johnson

We already have the small shifty and 2 medium guys in Morgan and Crabs, why not go after a monster? Guys like Jones or McNutt would give Alex a bigger target and create more matchup problems for corners?

Why wait for so long on DB's? We could be looking at only have 1 starter on the roster next year at both Safety positions and we need better CB's pronto.

Depth on the DL is a must so no arguments on that.

You may want to add a FB to the list

Overall great job!!

side note....
Who would be your top 5 realistic targets for round 1?
Not bad, i like it.

When drafting Wright are you basing it off need or just BPA?

Also I feel that we are weak at corner, are you waiting to draft corner becuase there isn't a lot available early on or is that just how your draft fell?
We could go Kendall Wright, right now I see him as a high 2nd rounder, so if a team thinks he fits their system or what type of offense they want to run, he can easily go in the late 1st. If he runs a 4.3, we won't have a chance to pick him though, he will vault up into just oustide the top 10.... I have him as the 5th best WR out there. I aslo wouldn't mind taking a WR early, I think its a department we are lacking. Morgan and Crabtree are possession and neither is a deep threat or adds that big tall WR dimension (like Braylon Edwards does, who IMO fits our offense very well when healthy).

Kendall Reyes in the 2nd IMO is a reach, I think he is more of a late 3rd rounder. Personally I'd like us to go for some secondary help in the 2nd round, I think there could be a couple of good CBs there such as Georgia's Boykin or Vanderbilt's Casey Howard. Also, George Illoka, FS from Boise St, may be available and I'd like us to grab him if possible as I think we definately need to add a FS in the draft.

Zeitler? Great pick, I'd be happy grabbing him. Can't go wrong with a Wisconsin O-line, right?
Share 49ersWebzone