There are 224 users in the forums

OTC's Winter Wonderland Mock 2011

Well, fellas. Here it is, the first OTC mock of the year. It's quick and to the point, for the most part. As always, these players' grades are almost certainly going to change in the coming months as all-star games and workouts, pro days, and the Combine ensue. But until then, let the mocks begin. And here we go, with OTC's Mock Premiere.

49ers 2012 NFL Draft

1. Kendall Wright-WR-Baylor, 5-10 190 4.42
After the phenomenal season Wright has had, I cannot see him falling out of the first round, especially if he clocks in the 4.3's which is very possible. Wright has made play after play after play for Baylor and after taking a close at our receivers.. outside of Crabtree, I've seen no one on our roster even come close to pulling off some of the things Wright has done this season. We certainly don't have anyone with the combination of hands and speed that Wright has (Kyle Williams is not there yet). Wright is built like Steve Smith, and would give us a deep threat that can actually catch the ball, unlike Ginn. With Morgan, Edwards, and Ginn as FA's.. we've got to get a receiver. Morgan will likely re-sign, but he'll be coming off of an injury, and if Ginn returns, he needs to be relegated to just KR/PR duties. We should NOT bank on Williams being the guy in the slot. You always want to upgrade, and Wright is a guy who should be a starter one day. On the year, he already has 95 catches for 1400+ yards and 12 TDs.

2. Kendall Reyes-DT/DE-Connecticut, 6-4 296 4.99
Think of Ray McDonald when you consider Reyes, a 1st Team All-Big East selection. Reyes is a team captain and has experience at both End and Tackle -- great for us because we rotate between the base 3-4 and 4-down linemen for the nickel. He's a quick, powerful lineman who has put up big numbers at UConn. We could really use the depth and competition, even though we liked what we saw from Dobbs this pre-season. Reyes brings a more polished presence, and this is evidenced by his stellar season thus far: 11.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks.

3. Kevin Zeitler-OG-Wisconsin, 6-4 318 5.26
Recognized for being a mauler, Zeitler would provide the Niners with some desperately needed OG depth, as everyone and their mother knows Rachal does not deserve to come back next season. Scouts say Zeitler is a tremendous fit for a zone blocking system, which is what we have switched to, so the adjustment would be seamless for Kevin. Wisconsin OL are well-known for being extremely technically sound and this is the case for Zeitler. He is well-coached and most likely would be ready to contribute immediately if called upon as a rookie.

4. Shea McClellin-OLB-Boise State, 6-3 255 4.74
McClellin seems like a perfect fit for us. He's played both DE and OLB for Boise State, showing his ability to play a hybrid pass rusher/linebacker and do it well -- he led the team in sacks last season with 8.5 to go with 12.5 TFL and 1 INT returned for a touchdown (also had 1 FF and 2 FR). This year, he looks like he will probably won't match those totals, as he has amassed 8 TFL with 5 sacks and 2 INTs so far in 2011, but still solid production. One thing that stands out to me is McClellin is just a very, very smart, disciplined player. He may not be insanely explosive, but he has good football instincts and can make plays sometimes solely because of this. His stock may rise or fall depending on workout numbers, but the 2011 pass-rushing class is fairly weak, and McClellin is one of the few solid prospects.

5. Trumaine Johnson-CB-Montana, 6-2 204 4.52
We all know Baalke clearly has no problem pulling players from small schools (Kilgore, Person), and if the last draft is any indication, it seems he can find some pretty good value here. Johnson's stock took a hit due to some character concerns, but he can flat out play. He possesses a great frame for press coverage and he uses it -- receivers have a hard time getting off the line. Johnson's character and small school status hurt him, but his technically sound play and production (5 interceptions last year) make him a guy the 49ers could target, as they could use some DB depth next season.

6. Kelcie McCray-S-Arkansas State, 6-1 195 4.48
Simply put, we need speed in the defensive backfield. McCray has been a playmaker at Arkansas St. and has four interceptions this season, 10 for his career so far. As noted a moment ago, we need speed and he's got it. Reggie Smith will be gone most likely and I believe we'll search for replacement depth this year.

7. Nicolas Jean-Baptiste-NT-Baylor, 6-2 335 5.06
For all of you that wanted to see a big fatty. Here he is. Baptiste has struggled with consistency, but commentators have noted that coaches say he has monstrous ability and potential, he just doesn't always show it. He could be a guy that winds up a steal. Low risk-high reward type of player here.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 30, 2011 at 1:24 PM ]
Triple Kendall's
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Triple Kendall's

KKK RACIST!!!!
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Triple Kendall's

KKK RACIST!!!!

Like the position picks, but just question the order. I know free agency will have a lot more influence on the draft next year, but waiting till the 5th round to draft a CB or S? I consider that one of the Niners biggest needs and worthy of their attention in the first three rounds. Would be nice to get any of the LSU or 'Bama secondary prospects late in the first or in the second round.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Like the position picks, but just question the order. I know free agency will have a lot more influence on the draft next year, but waiting till the 5th round to draft a CB or S? I consider that one of the Niners biggest needs and worthy of their attention in the first three rounds. Would be nice to get any of the LSU or 'Bama secondary prospects late in the first or in the second round.

I pretty much agree with this. Not sure they can wait that long to invest in the secondary. But Reyes is a good player and the d line needs some youth and depth.
I like the Kendall Wright pick as well as the Jean-Baptiste selection. However, you don't think we should address the corner position a little earlier in the draft?
Cool, we'd have a Ricky Jean and a Nicky Jean.
Love it.

Great mock OTC! Any chance Wright rises past us in the 1st? If he's not available who're some other guys at the end of the 1st you'd look at?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I would hope we address the secondary long before the 5th round, we are gonna have some major holes to fill there.

• dj43
Though CB is a need issue as well, I agree with a speedy wideout as the greatest need.
I thought we got Aldon Smith in the 2011 draft?
I like the 1st round pick on Kendall Wright. I would definately want a CB in the 2nd round though. But it really depends on who's still available and who is still the best player left on the board.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Yes, but I'm not sure what the question here is? Including Aldon, we only have 3 OLB right now. Brooks, Aldon, and Haralson. We need the pass-rushing depth.

Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Love it.

Great mock OTC! Any chance Wright rises past us in the 1st? If he's not available who're some other guys at the end of the 1st you'd look at?

It takes only one team to love you, so it's possible. But depending on draft declarations, someone very good at WR should be available to us in the back half of the first or second. If he's not there, I'd go after Dwight Jones who is very likely to rise to 1st round consideration if he hasn't already. Mohamed Sanu is another option in the 1st if he declares. In the 2nd-3rd you start getting into guys like McNutt, Joe Adams, DeVier Posey and A.J. Jenkins.

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I pretty much agree with this. Not sure they can wait that long to invest in the secondary. But Reyes is a good player and the d line needs some youth and depth.

It really depends on free agency. Culliver looks like he will be the starter soon, but if we re-sign Rogers and perhaps release Spencer (a trade would be great though), we may look to add a starting CB in Free Agency. There will be more available (especially considering the ones that were on one-year deals this season). Johnson is a 3rd round talent who will fall because of the off-field stuff and his small school, so waiting that long to draft a CB of his caliber is a great strategic move. Obviously, in the end, it will depend on who's available at each spot because we will probably take BPA players and/or guys with the most upside.

Rogers, FA, Culliver, Brock (if he keeps developing), Brown, Johnson looks like it could be a solid group if you consider improvement from Culliver's rookie season and Brock who is still very young but looks promising.

As far as safety -- this will be HUGELY dependent on FA. If Goldson returns or we sign a new starter, it's doubtful we grab one early. If not, we'll almost have to look FS early -- and those options figure to include Markelle Martin (1st round), T.J. McDonald (1st), Aaron Henry (3rd), and/or Donnie Fletcher (3rd - good CB, could be even better safety).
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Yes, but I'm not sure what the question here is? Including Aldon, we only have 3 OLB right now. Brooks, Aldon, and Haralson. We need the pass-rushing depth.

I was just busting your balls. It would be the 2012 draft, not 2011.
Share 49ersWebzone