There are 157 users in the forums

How good is David DeCastro?

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by buck:
Apparently we need a guard.

Would it be a good idea to move up and draft DeCastro?

If he is as good as some claim, I would consider trading next year's first to get him.

That would give us two first round picks this year. We could get DeCastro and a wide receiver in the first.

But giving up a first for a guard might be a bit wacky.

Thank god you are not the GM of the team.

Please read Bill Walsh's book on drafting, and what is considered a skill position. I personally think draft OL in round 1 is a waste of a pick. Good OL can be had in rounds 2 and 3.

Look at past super bowl teams, lots of 1st rounders on defense and skill positions, very few on OL.

God does not have anything to do with it!!!!

We picked Iupati with the 17th pick in the first. Was that a mistake?

Iupati seems to be worth a first round pick.

Reports I have read say DeCastro in the best offensive lineman in the draft.

My conjecture, and it is a conjecture, is that moving up to draft him may be worth it.

I feel we should use our first round pick this year on a receiver.

Not sure what wide out will be there when we pick.

As it stands now, I like Kendal Wright, but Marvin McNutt could be moving up into the first round.

The team is on the verge of becoming an elite team. To become an elite team we clearly, we need to upgrade the offense.

Now, in my opinion, is the time to make moves. We need quality more than quantity.

Getting a top WR and the best guard in the upcoming drat will fill two of the biggest needs that we have on offense.

And, Bill Walsh made his share of mistakes when he was GM. Let me, a simple fan, make mine.

Blasphemy!
  • cools
  • Veteran
I also like Konz,
On a side note, though related, I was also thinking about Boone and A.Davis,

Boone will be a free agent, and probably given the chance to be a starter somewhere
If Harbs feels like Boone can start and be a solid RT, we may resign him and give him a shot

AD would be a monster at RG

Here how i hope it works out...
Resign Snyder and Boone, let Chilo walk
Draft Konz in first

LT- Staley, Person
LG- Iupati, Kilgore
C- Goodwin, Konz
RG- Davis, Snyder
RT- Boone
Originally posted by cools:
I also like Konz,
On a side note, though related, I was also thinking about Boone and A.Davis,

Boone will be a free agent, and probably given the chance to be a starter somewhere
If Harbs feels like Boone can start and be a solid RT, we may resign him and give him a shot

AD would be a monster at RG

Here how i hope it works out...
Resign Snyder and Boone, let Chilo walk
Draft Konz in first

LT- Staley, Person
LG- Iupati, Kilgore
C- Goodwin, Konz
RG- Davis, Snyder
RT- Boone

I thought Davis showed some improvement this season to merit him staying at RT.

We definately need an interior lineman. Goodman is decent, but its a matter of time for his age to catch up to him and his playing to decline. and RG is obviously a point of weakness on our line.

I'm not opposed to taking a T though, if he is BPA available or near BPA. Staley is an average LT IMO and Davis, with his improvement this year, is an average RT. We basically have 3 average lineman, one great lineman (Iupati) and one sub par lineman (at our RG spot). The multiple TE formations have helped mask our line's problems.
If he's available we should get him. I heard a lot of good things about this guy.
Konz and DeCastro should be gone by the time we pick, not a guarantee but a good possibility.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
He was a pre-season All American and he lived up to the billing by having a great year. He will go in the top half of the first round without a doubt. There are still going to be other guys like Konz, Mike Brewster from Ohio St., or Barrett Jones from Alabama available at the end of the first round.

Jones is one guy that stood out to me as a dominant player for Alabama's line. At the same time, there is some worry because of the overall talent on that team, but if in individual evaluations the scouts and coaches see he is still at that potentially elite prospect level, he would be a fantastic pick in the first.

With Kilgore and Person both looking very promising and according to early reports, Kilgore is intended to be the C of the future for SF, I think we should draft a guard and a tackle if there is a good one available where we select. I would like to re-sign Snyder and ultimately end up with a Pre-Season roster looking like:

LT - Staley, Person, [Rookie]
LG - Iupati, [Rookie]
C - Goodwin, Kilgore
RG - Snyder, Kilgore
RT - Davis, Boone

Jones is very smart. Academic All American. Smart guys never hurt.
I was strongly in favour of using early picks in the last draft on the line, which had been somewhat ignored over the years.

We now have something like 3 firsts and several second and third round picks, and a crying need elsewhere.

What I hope to see is a FA signing of an experienced guard to replace Chilo and perhaps several lower picks for development. You just have to keep working on the youngsters.

Much as I like seeing OL picks early, our needs at receiver, corner and safety (by the time we have lost our share of our FAs) as well as pass rush precludes it this year.
Originally posted by English:
I was strongly in favour of using early picks in the last draft on the line, which had been somewhat ignored over the years.

We now have something like 3 firsts and several second and third round picks, and a crying need elsewhere.

What I hope to see is a FA signing of an experienced guard to replace Chilo and perhaps several lower picks for development. You just have to keep working on the youngsters.

Much as I like seeing OL picks early, our needs at receiver, corner and safety (by the time we have lost our share of our FAs) as well as pass rush precludes it this year.

I bet Dashon gets the franchise tag at 6.2 million. We rent him for 1 year. That should free up safety development for 1 year and likely a later round choice. I don't see us franchising Rodgers at 10.6 million.
I have lots of faith in Baakle/JH.

DeCastro will be gone long before we pick. I have seen him going as early to the Chargers and as late as the Cowboys.

WR and CB/S are primo needs and we should be able to get a good one at the bottom of the first. Still, the the BPA mindset and the surprise players who fall it will be VERY intersting to see how it plays out.
Boone has already been resigned. Now the great question is will they push Davis to RG and let Boone be RT. Then if Kilgore really is our Center for the future it would be nice to see him develop and get him into the line. It would be interesting to see Staley, Iupati, Kilgore, Davis, Boone or Staley, Iupati, Konz, Kilgore Davis with Boone our floater. But RG is an area that we need help in and we certainly need back up and development for our Center. Those two places need help for our Oline. So if Decastro, Konz, Jones are available I want them. Controllling the oline is very important.

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Boone has already been resigned. Now the great question is will they push Davis to RG and let Boone be RT. Then if Kilgore really is our Center for the future it would be nice to see him develop and get him into the line. It would be interesting to see Staley, Iupati, Kilgore, Davis, Boone or Staley, Iupati, Konz, Kilgore Davis with Boone our floater. But RG is an area that we need help in and we certainly need back up and development for our Center. Those two places need help for our Oline. So if Decastro, Konz, Jones are available I want them. Controllling the oline is very important.

Agreed but there are other options than using an early pick.

Yea like punters
Originally posted by 408Bashar:
If he's available we should get him. I heard a lot of good things about this guy.

I have seen good things from this guy.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:

Yea like punters

What the hell is this? The options I had in mind were signing a FA guard and drafting receiver then corner, and picking up another late pick guard.
Just kidding man. We arn't drafting punters with an early pick.
Share 49ersWebzone