LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

How good is David DeCastro?

• buck
  • Veteran
Apparently we need a guard.

Would it be a good idea to move up and draft DeCastro?

If he is as good as some claim, I would consider trading next year's first to get him.

That would give us two first round picks this year. We could get DeCastro and a wide receiver in the first.

But giving up a first for a guard might be a bit wacky.
we dont need to trade up for a RG
if he falls to us we can take him

imo we should only trade up for a WR
Originally posted by buck:

If he is as good as some claim, I would consider trading next year's first to get him.

That would give us two first round picks this year. We could get DeCastro and a wide receiver in the first.

I would love to draft him but giving up a future first is a lot to give up. I would rather use our first this year and lower picks to move up.
we wont get him
From what I've been reading he won't be there for us in the first round. I have failth in Baalke/JH to get one in FA or the Draft in later rounds. And you never know who could land in our slot.
He was a pre-season All American and he lived up to the billing by having a great year. He will go in the top half of the first round without a doubt. There are still going to be other guys like Konz, Mike Brewster from Ohio St., or Barrett Jones from Alabama available at the end of the first round.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
He was a pre-season All American and he lived up to the billing by having a great year. He will go in the top half of the first round without a doubt. There are still going to be other guys like Konz, Mike Brewster from Ohio St., or Barrett Jones from Alabama available at the end of the first round.

Jones is one guy that stood out to me as a dominant player for Alabama's line. At the same time, there is some worry because of the overall talent on that team, but if in individual evaluations the scouts and coaches see he is still at that potentially elite prospect level, he would be a fantastic pick in the first.

With Kilgore and Person both looking very promising and according to early reports, Kilgore is intended to be the C of the future for SF, I think we should draft a guard and a tackle if there is a good one available where we select. I would like to re-sign Snyder and ultimately end up with a Pre-Season roster looking like:

LT - Staley, Person, [Rookie]
LG - Iupati, [Rookie]
C - Goodwin, Kilgore
RG - Snyder, Kilgore
RT - Davis, Boone
I think the board knows by now my sentiments toward Peter Konz, who is the best all-around, versatile interior lineman in this draft. The second best center is Ben Jones, who is destroying DT's across the SEC this year. He won back-to-back SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week honors in November, and has the size to play center or guard at the next level. Goodwin is a mediocre center, and finding a long-term stud would be in the best interest of the team for 2013 and beyond. Either of these guys could play guard for a year, if needed.

The key thing to me is to have another interior OL to plug in place of Rachal right away, allowing Snyder the flexibilty to slide all over the line. In my 2011 NFL Draft, I had the team selecting two interior OL in the first four rounds: Rodney Hudson of Florida State and Marcus Cannon of TCU. The team waited until the 5th round to draft Kilgore, who looked pretty good (although I believe he is WAY overregarded by many on the board) in preseason. But, the team obviously feels he is not ready to play any minutes right now, or they would make the move quickly to add him onto the active roster.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the board knows by now my sentiments toward Peter Konz, who is the best all-around, versatile interior lineman in this draft. The second best center is Ben Jones, who is destroying DT's across the SEC this year. He won back-to-back SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week honors in November, and has the size to play center or guard at the next level. Goodwin is a mediocre center, and finding a long-term stud would be in the best interest of the team for 2013 and beyond. Either of these guys could play guard for a year, if needed.

The key thing to me is to have another interior OL to plug in place of Rachal right away, allowing Snyder the flexibilty to slide all over the line. In my 2011 NFL Draft, I had the team selecting two interior OL in the first four rounds: Rodney Hudson of Florida State and Marcus Cannon of TCU. The team waited until the 5th round to draft Kilgore, who looked pretty good (although I believe he is WAY overregarded by many on the board) in preseason. But, the team obviously feels he is not ready to play any minutes right now, or they would make the move quickly to add him onto the active roster.

Can you post a more comprehensive list of the OL class this year..targets round by round

Thank god you are not the GM of the team.

Please read Bill Walsh's book on drafting, and what is considered a skill position. I personally think draft OL in round 1 is a waste of a pick. Good OL can be had in rounds 2 and 3.

Look at past super bowl teams, lots of 1st rounders on defense and skill positions, very few on OL.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Jones is one guy that stood out to me as a dominant player for Alabama's line. At the same time, there is some worry because of the overall talent on that team, but if in individual evaluations the scouts and coaches see he is still at that potentially elite prospect level, he would be a fantastic pick in the first.

With Kilgore and Person both looking very promising and according to early reports, Kilgore is intended to be the C of the future for SF, I think we should draft a guard and a tackle if there is a good one available where we select. I would like to re-sign Snyder and ultimately end up with a Pre-Season roster looking like:

LT - Staley, Person, [Rookie]
LG - Iupati, [Rookie]
C - Goodwin, Kilgore
RG - Snyder, Kilgore
RT - Davis, Boone

I also read that their center Andrew Vlachos would get some attention if he came out, especially if Richardson edges out Luck for the Heisman. This kid has started since he was a freshman and that would mean he has blocked for one Heisman winner (Ingram) and one potential winner.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:

Thank god you are not the GM of the team.

Please read Bill Walsh's book on drafting, and what is considered a skill position. I personally think draft OL in round 1 is a waste of a pick. Good OL can be had in rounds 2 and 3.

Look at past super bowl teams, lots of 1st rounders on defense and skill positions, very few on OL.

God does not have anything to do with it!!!!

We picked Iupati with the 17th pick in the first. Was that a mistake?

Iupati seems to be worth a first round pick.

Reports I have read say DeCastro in the best offensive lineman in the draft.

My conjecture, and it is a conjecture, is that moving up to draft him may be worth it.

I feel we should use our first round pick this year on a receiver.

Not sure what wide out will be there when we pick.

As it stands now, I like Kendal Wright, but Marvin McNutt could be moving up into the first round.

The team is on the verge of becoming an elite team. To become an elite team we clearly, we need to upgrade the offense.

Now, in my opinion, is the time to make moves. We need quality more than quantity.

Getting a top WR and the best guard in the upcoming drat will fill two of the biggest needs that we have on offense.

And, Bill Walsh made his share of mistakes when he was GM. Let me, a simple fan, make mine.
Don't we have kilgore?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Yep, Konz and Ben Jones are great players.

Also, DeCastro was named 1st team lineman in the PAC-12 by the coaches.

Another guy to keep in mind is Washington's Senio Kelemete, played tackle for Washington but will slide to guard in the pro's. Thought about adding him into my top 100, but he injured his ankle and was carted off the field and haven't heard more about his injury. If its serious, he could slip in the very late rounds and would be a steal (assuming he recovers). He was banged up this year, but still got named 2nd team by PAC-12 coaches. So durability will also be a concern for him. But he played a big part in Washington's offensive resurgence.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Don't we have kilgore?

Kilgore might be the guard of the future, but he has not played in any games, yet.

If Adam Snyder can't start, Kilgore might get to play, but I do not think he will start.

If David DeCastro were on the team, he would most likely be starting.
Share 49ersWebzone