There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coby Fleener - TE Stanford

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Why burn a pick on a guy who will never get 1K at TE? The only reason people want Fleener is because of the Stanford/Jim connection...if he played for another team people wouldn't be this hung up on him. We are not the Pats and why people assume we need to copy that style is beyond me.

This is asinine. The 49ers don't have to copy the Patriots style, they already have their own and it is an offense that is very TE heavy. The coach is Harbaugh, he loves utilizing multiple tight-ends, this team utilizes 2 TE's more than virtually every other team in the league, a 2nd TE is basically a starter on this team, even if Fleener doesn't get 1000 yards, that part is irrelevant. The threat is what is key, the mismatch that Fleener creates is the most important thing, not to mention that VD is now 28 or 29.....so in 5 years, guess what, Fleener could very well be the guy in his prime racking up huge yardage totals.

You want a Gronk/Hernandez system here. If you want a 49ers style 2 TE set guess what....that motherf**ker needs to block, Fleener blocks for s**t.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Value is getting a 2nd option at TE after the first round.

No, value is getting an immediate contributor who will have the biggest possible impact on your team the next season. A 6'6" TE with 4.5 speed, great hands, leaping ability and who already knows the offense represents value to a team that couldn't score if their life depended on it at times, was atrocious in the red-zone, atrocious on third down and has a QB that likes to throw the ball a foot over everyone's head. Adding a guy who can help alleviate some of those problems represents real value.

Fleener won't be an immediete contributer. He is a rookie from a soft conference at a position where he will be competing with Delanie and Davis for playing time. At best, he's the 5th option at this point, assuming he doesn't come in and light it up, which is rare, esp with VD, and D. Walker getting the reps. There is no guarantee Fleener pans out. Look at his college stats, they make you go .

A first rounder? No thanks. We need to win a SB now, and Fleener isn't going to take us over that hump.

And Nate is coming back who is a big target and can actually block. A toy we haven't seen used by Jim yet.

I prefer a kid who likes to make bloody noses....that is 49er football.
lol... hai guys, let's use our first round pick on a backup who will play the position that we have the most depth on offense when we have holes on other parts on our team!
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aman49:
lol... hai guys, let's use our first round pick on a backup who will play the position that we have the most depth on offense when we have holes on other parts on our team!

I don't know who you are but you don't have to be so mean. At first, I wasn't on the Fleener bandwagon but I think he can help this team. Please refrain from making fun of us that like and want Fleener.
Too much ghey in this thread
I've long suspected people were so high on Fleener because of the Bay area and Harbaugh connection. I get the feeling if he played at Texas, no one would suggest we took him in the first. If Harbaugh thinks the guy is worth it than I'm all for it, but I'm certainly not lobbying for a second TE in the 1st round when we already have one who does what we ask the second TE to do...block.
[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM ]
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
I've long suspected people were so high on Fleener because of the Bay area and Harbaugh connection. I get the feeling if he played at Texas, no one would suggest we took him in the first. If Harbaugh thinks the guy is worth it than I'm all for it, but I'm certainly not lobbying for a second TE in the 1st round when we already have one who does what we ask the second TE to do...block.

Levine Toilolo >>> Fleener

Hell, Teyo Johnson >>> Fleener

[ Edited by YungAce on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM ]
Fleener gonna either be gone before #30 or drop like a rock.

Physical phenom. Never drops the pass. Will drag 5 guys 10 yards, can juke, can move, can stiff arm you into the next game. Slow as hell. NFL means quickness or real intelligence since 1980. Fleener is unusually smart, inhumanely strong, but not fast. Niners ever had a slow TE?
Willis, Lott, Butkis, Lawrence Taylor, and so many others would dump Fleener in a second.

Not our pick. Changed my mind.
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Willis, Lott, Butkis, Lawrence Taylor, and so many others would dump Fleener in a second.

Not our pick. Changed my mind.

those guys could dump anyone on their ass, gronk included
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Fleener gonna either be gone before #30 or drop like a rock.

Physical phenom. Never drops the pass. Will drag 5 guys 10 yards, can juke, can move, can stiff arm you into the next game. Slow as hell. NFL means quickness or real intelligence since 1980. Fleener is unusually smart, inhumanely strong, but not fast. Niners ever had a slow TE?

LOL. What? He's not fast? Did you pay attention to his pro day results?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Mr T just ran a list of the top passing teams in the league and rarely did any of them have first round pick WRs. Only ATL had multiple first rounders.

What DID all of those teams have? Top QBs. He concluded that the QB can make lower picked but talented wRs much better and the first round is not smart to pick a WR.

Not only this, but WR's and TE's running fast in their underwear have almost zero correlation to NFL success.
A few years back Jacksonville drafted a quarterback to play WR, because he was like 6'6 and ran super fast in his underwear (4.3). He flamed out in a few years.

We won't have this defense together like this for another year, we need to try and win for next year. Let's bring in a couple hogs in the 1st and 2nd, then select quality WR's in the middle rounds. That would be fantastic value for this draft, and fit need perfectly too.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Not only this, but WR's and TE's running fast in their underwear have almost zero correlation to NFL success.
A few years back Jacksonville drafted a quarterback to play WR, because he was like 6'6 and ran super fast in his underwear (4.3). He flamed out in a few years.

We won't have this defense together like this for another year, we need to try and win for next year. Let's bring in a couple hogs in the 1st and 2nd, then select quality WR's in the middle rounds. That would be fantastic value for this draft, and fit need perfectly too.

Totally melodramatic. Good teams keep building and reloading through the draft. As guys leave, they get replaced....what this team needs is depth throughout......and maybe ONE....read....ONE....WR....they already 6 WR's on the roster, you bring in one more to develop and you're good on that front. They need depth at safety, at DE and several other positions, there's also no reason why drafting Fleener couldn't be a huge boost to this team, if nothing else he'll put up far better offensive stats than Walker did simply on the basis of his ability to create major mismatches against the defense.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Totally melodramatic. Good teams keep building and reloading through the draft. As guys leave, they get replaced....what this team needs is depth throughout......and maybe ONE....read....ONE....WR....they already 6 WR's on the roster, you bring in one more to develop and you're good on that front. They need depth at safety, at DE and several other positions, there's also no reason why drafting Fleener couldn't be a huge boost to this team, if nothing else he'll put up far better offensive stats than Walker did simply on the basis of his ability to create major mismatches against the defense.

Ideally: 1st G (Plug the hole with impact), 2nd DL (depth and potential future impact), 3rd-4th WR/DB (depth, insurance), 5th-7th (BPA)

I just don't see where a pass catching TE fits because we already have two of them. We'll just have to disagree on that. It'll be settled soon anyway.
People have rediculously exaggerated opinions in both directions on Fleener. Either he's a skinny, poor blocking, slow, one-dimensional TE, or a huge, physical, fast, multipurpose threat.

In reality he's somewhere in between. He is a big, lean, fast TE who lacks elite quickness and leverage. He will grow thicker, while quickness is a more innate physical ability. Blocking won't be much of an issue after putting on some of the right kind of meat and getting coached up. His body awareness is pretty good for his size and he won't need slot receiver type agility to be a nice 3rd down/red-zone target.

I have mixed feeling about drafting him.

But I don't think the Stanford connection does him any favors. If you were to get a new job, would you really want to bring along your co-workers? I think Harbaugh would prefer to have his new and different situation not be altered by a previous perspective, but would have the insight and connection to fight for someone if he really felt they were special. (kinda reminds me of the Pete Carroll not drafting Taylor Mays stories last year).

It would be exciting to add Fleener, but our #2 TE position is not what is holding us back. Since Harbaugh (and now the NFL) love multiple receiving TE's he could have more of a positive impact than other offensive skill positions, but there are other positions that are would benefit us much more. Fleener is not only not a "need," but he is the luxury of luxuries pick.