There are 161 users in the forums

What is needed to make our offense elite?

What is needed to make our offense elite? Looking at our team sitting at 7-1 with a top 3 defense, and a middle of the pack offense, what do we really need? Like you I can identify we could use young players at CB, WR, Safety, OLB, OG and maybe a NT and OT if we are getting picky.

We can use depth at several positions. We all know that. But what do we need to become elite offensively? Depth on the line? A speed reciever with hands? My thoughts are this.

Our offensive line is legit, paving the way for Frank Gore and limiting the sacks Alex Smith takes.
Bruce Miller looks like a keeper at FB
The WR's Edwards, Crabtree, Ginn, Morgan, Williams have all the things any team needs in its WR core. We will need to replace any that may leave but I love our versatility at WR.
At TE we have the most complete(blocking/receiving)TE in the game, and Delanie Walker is maybe our most under-rated player.
That leaves QB.....Alex Smith has a 97 QB rating for #6 in the league. He is also #31 in yards. While Harbaugh has put a winning formula together with Alex, I believe he is the weakest link on our team. I don't believe we will beat the Packers and will be estatic if we beat any of the other 5 NFC playoff teams. We are the San Francisco 49ers. We should make the playoffs every year, be one of the best teams every year and compete in Superbowls. I think that is realistic with every phase of our current team except QB. I hope Colin Kaepernick is the guy, because it aint Alex Smith.

Your thoughts? What is needed to make our offense elite?
time

WCO usually dont take off after a full year

and thats with an offseason

also dont be discourged by alexs yards

brett favre in his first year at WCO he went from averaging 260 yards a game with 33 TD of the season down to averaging 218 yards a game and 19 TDs

next season our offense will be great
this season we will see it improve but it wont be "unstoppable" any time soon
QB. If you put in Peyton Manning it'd be an elite offense... or even Eli Manning.
exactly!
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
time

WCO usually dont take off after a full year

and thats with an offseason

also dont be discourged by alexs yards

brett favre in his first year at WCO he went from averaging 260 yards a game with 33 TD of the season down to averaging 218 yards a game and 19 TDs

next season our offense will be great
this season we will see it improve but it wont be "unstoppable" any time soon

TIME!!!

you read my miind!
Either a center or guard (depending on how the front office feels about Snyder and Kilgore). Maybe a speedy WR to develop.

Other than that....I think we just need to wait and see. If Alex improves as the season progresses we're probably good. If he stays how he is right now, we better hope Kaepernick is the answer. Also, it's crucial to retain Edwards, Ginn and possibly Snider.

I still think CB is our #1 need. I'm not convinced this secondary can shut down elite QB's like Brady, Rodgers.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:48 PM ]
TIME!!! Hitting wide open receivers that are more than 10 yards down the field will take exactly HOW MUCH TIME? 7 years and waiting. Alex has our plays down and is very effective with short passes. TIME isn't gonna make him better with deep ball accuracy, he's had long enough to prove that. Harbaugh looked at the tape and has him do what he can do well mostly. We have to take shots down the field to keep teams from putting 8....9 in the box. When we take shots down the field, he misses. It will take more then a gimick play to Staley, Sopoaga, or Miller to beat good teams. TIME will not make Alex elite. We have had many areas that killed us in the past. The O-Line, the secondary, our pass rush, and of course Alex. He's the only weakness we have not addressed. The supporting cast is here, it's TIME TO UPGRADE OUR QB
Calvin Johnson
Receivers with YAC
Originally posted by King49er:
Calvin Johnson

This.

Originally posted by btthepunk:
Calvin Johnson

This.

We would be absolutely unstopable
Originally posted by davidboutte:
TIME!!! Hitting wide open receivers that are more than 10 yards down the field will take exactly HOW MUCH TIME? 7 years and waiting. Alex has our plays down and is very effective with short passes. TIME isn't gonna make him better with deep ball accuracy, he's had long enough to prove that. Harbaugh looked at the tape and has him do what he can do well mostly. We have to take shots down the field to keep teams from putting 8....9 in the box. When we take shots down the field, he misses. It will take more then a gimick play to Staley, Sopoaga, or Miller to beat good teams. TIME will not make Alex elite. We have had many areas that killed us in the past. The O-Line, the secondary, our pass rush, and of course Alex. He's the only weakness we have not addressed. The supporting cast is here, it's TIME TO UPGRADE OUR QB

Not sure if you noticed or not, but we're 7-1 and he only has 2 int's a mid season and is one of the top rated passers in the league, yeards aren't everything, look at the field position that we get from ST and the run game....

Seriously, some of you guys make me wonder sometimes...
2 years in the same system for Alex Smith. If he can be this much improved after NO OFFSEASON, new sytem, new OC again why can't he be better next year?
Originally posted by davidboutte:

Not sure if you noticed or not, but we're 7-1 and he only has 2 int's a mid season and is one of the top rated passers in the league, yeards aren't everything, look at the field position that we get from ST and the run game....

Seriously, some of you guys make me wonder sometimes...

They make me wonder too...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
#1 wide reciever. We're pretty much set every where else. Maybe a shut down corner.
Share 49ersWebzone