LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 356 users in the forums

Make Your Mid-Season 2011 49ers Draft Pick Grades

Make Your Mid-Season 2011 49ers Draft Pick Grades

Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Overall: A-

The only blemish is trading up for and selecting Kaepernick, IMO. But even then, we won't know if he's a good pick or not for a couple of years. But relative to their draft position, Baalke knocked it out of the park this year.

Aldon Smith..........A+
Colin Kaepernick...D-
Chris Culliver........B+
Daniel Kilgore.......Inc.
Ronald Johnson....F
Kendall Hunter......A
Colin Jones..........Inc.
Bruce Miller..........A
Michael Person....Inc.
Curtis Holcomb....Inc.

Then shouldn't Kaepernick's grade be incomplete? I can't give a D- to an unknown.

That's fair. I thought he was God awful in the preseason, but you're right.
That's fair. I thought he was God awful in the preseason, but you're right.

No, keep it there... because to be fair, everyone's grade is somewhat incomplete (unless the player's been cut). If we giving A+'s this early, no reason not to give F's and D-'s early too.
B
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
At this point of the season, I see it this way. Hopefully we can run it up on the Cards, Rams and Hawks so Kap, Kilgore get some serious play time.

Aldon Smith..........A
Colin Kaepernick... Inc
Chris Culliver........B
Ronald Johnson....F
Kendall Hunter......A
Bruce Miller..........A
Michael Person....Inc.
Curtis Holcomb....Inc.

Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Very good.

I think we need to give credit where credit is due, Jim Harbaugh. Under the old unnamed regimens, there is no way that Kendall Hunter, Chris Culliver, Bruce Miller or Aldon Smith would have been given playing time. They would have ridden the bench like Bowman, Jason Hill, Ray McDonald, did for years.

The coach is making this an excellent draft by utilizing their talents.

This is the truth for sure!
  • dj43
Originally posted by Hopper:

The only blemish is trading up for and selecting Kaepernick, IMO. But even then, we won't know if he's a good pick or not for a couple of years. But relative to their draft position, Baalke knocked it out of the park this year.

Aldon Smith..........A+
Colin Kaepernick...D-
Chris Culliver........B+
Ronald Johnson....F
Kendall Hunter......A
Bruce Miller..........A
Michael Person....Inc.
Curtis Holcomb....Inc.

Then shouldn't Kaepernick's grade be incomplete? I can't give a D- to an unknown.
I agree with the D-. I love the kid. He grew up just down the road from me but he proved in PS that he is a LONG way from being ready to play QB in this league. It would be interesting to see how an open competition between him and Tolzien would turn out. T showed more readiness in PS than Kaep. That earns the D-.

I would give Miller an A+ considering where he was drafted and how well he has done in a brand new position on the opposite side of the ball. Some scouts deserve a great big bonus for digging this guy up. Also the staff needs kudos for prepping him to make Norris dispensible.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
^lol You never grade a guy based off preseason. Does the preseason favorite Nate Davis ring any bells.
[ Edited by Hopper on Nov 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM ]

Aldon Smith..........A+
Colin Kaepernick...D-
Chris Culliver........B+
Ronald Johnson....F
Kendall Hunter......A
Bruce Miller..........A
Michael Person....Inc.
Curtis Holcomb....Inc.

This is about it. I agree.
I would too but Colin gets an INC because he's not even attempted an NFL pass yet in the reg. season.
I would too but Colin gets an INC because he's not even attempted an NFL pass yet in the reg. season.

CK doesn't look good at all. I really don't like that pick. Especially trading up to do it. But nobody knew Alex would improve this much by leaps and bounds. Not even the 49ers. So in that context the pick originally made some type of sense. It makes less sense now IMO. What really bothers me is he just doesn't seem like a QB. He seems like a tall RB.

Well, to be accurate he is 3 out of 3 for 35 yards in the regular season.

Originally posted by English:

Well, to be accurate he is 3 out of 3 for 35 yards in the regular season.

And that's why he gets a D-
Keep an eye on Culliver, he impresses me
Kaep is a good pick for the single reason that we needed someone to develop. We only had Carr on the team who was 100% getting released and who would we have drafted after Kaep. The real question is if (in Hindsight) after knowing Alex would play this well and not needing to get a QB in rd 2. who should we have drafted.
Smith- A- (The minus is for a lack of complete game; Smith is still a reserve, a situational pass rusher; and while very good for what he does, does not match the overall productivity of some other rookies in the league...sacks, tackles, coverage ability. Still very one-dimensional)
Kaepernick- F (Not the start that fans wanted. An incomplete grade cannot be given because he is not even pressing for the starting lineup, and looked bad in preseason. Time to change for sure).
Culliver- A- (Superb pick for third round value. Can he start? That would move him to the next level).
Hunter- B (Solid change if pace back).
Kilgore- B- (Looked good in preseason, which is all we can base his grade and other non-contributing rookies at this point).
Johnson- F (Cut)
Jones- F (Cut)
Miller- A (Made the transition well. Looks good for the future).
Person- C (Made the team as a 7th rounder. Didn't show much in preseason).
Holcolmb- Inc.(Injured too early to make any impression)

Overall, B/B+ grade so far.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It was a real good draft. The only thing I question is Kaep. I think he is less prepared than Alex Smith coming in. LOL.

As a whole I say A. Major contributions form Aldon, Culliver, Hunter and Miller. Then if Kaep turns out to be a starter later and either Kilgore or Person starts, it will be a draft that can be said that turned the franchise around. Like the year niners drafted Lott Wright and Williamson along with the 85 draft.
Share 49ersWebzone