LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 395 users in the forums

Perfect Scenario for 2012

Here is my scenario.

Re-Sign Braylon, Rogers, Brooks, Goldson, Costanzo, Ginn, Morgan

Rd 1- DE Jared Crick- I doubt DeCastro lasts late, so I think going with a DL like Crick is worth it.

Rd 2- CB Keith Tandy- Need a solid CB to go with Rogers, Culliver and whoever else is signed.

Rd 3- WR Dwight Jones- Solid WR, added to our solid crop of WRs, imagine Crabs and Braylon starting, with Morgan and Jones as 3rd and 4th. Ginn as Returner.

Rd 4- OLB Chase Thomas- It would be nice to see him fall, which is possible, adds to our core of Aldon and Brooks.

Rd 5- OG Lucas Nix- Adds depth to our OL(Goodwin, Iupati, Staley, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Person and Nix)

Rd 6- FS Harrison Smith- Takes over for Madieu Williams.

Rd 7- Either a RB or another OL.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I do think we will look for OL help, but it remains to be seen what these players' final grades will be.

We must look OL, CB, FS, and pass-rusher in the draft again.

Brooks, Snyder, Rachal (don't want), Goldson, Rogers, and Reggie Smith (don't want) are set to be FA's.

With seven picks, I would draft 2 OL, 2 CB, 1 FS, 1 OLB, and a WR.

I know baseball more than football. However, watching the Niners this year, it seems to me that they good use more depth at DL. I'm a little surprised you don't address DL with any of the seven picks.

I also think the Niners should look at spots to strategically trade down and add an extra pick or two for the 2013 draft. An example would be with a late 2nd see if there is an aggressive team that would be willing to trade a Mid 3rd, Mid 4rth and a 2013 3rd round draft pick for that late 2nd rounder etc.

That way in 2013 the Niners would have more flexibility to trade up for a player they covet without having to blow up an entire draft just for one player. For example if the Niners were picking 26th and an impact player was available at 21 but might not make it to 26 the Niners would have the flexibility to package a 3rd rounder to move up 5 spots to get that particular player.

I'm just of the opinion that if were picking in the bottom 6 of each round, that the strategy of taking advantage of over aggressive teams and stock piling for future drafts should be a strategy which should be closely looked at.
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
I do think we will look for OL help, but it remains to be seen what these players' final grades will be.

Brooks, Snyder, Rachal (don't want), Goldson, Rogers, and Reggie Smith (don't want) are set to be FA's.

I know baseball more than football. However, watching the Niners this year, it seems to me that they good use more depth at DL. I'm a little surprised you don't address DL with any of the seven picks.

I also think the Niners should look at spots to strategically trade down and add an extra pick or two for the 2013 draft. An example would be with a late 2nd see if there is an aggressive team that would be willing to trade a Mid 3rd, Mid 4rth and a 2013 3rd round draft pick for that late 2nd rounder etc.

That way in 2013 the Niners would have more flexibility to trade up for a player they covet without having to blow up an entire draft just for one player. For example if the Niners were picking 26th and an impact player was available at 21 but might not make it to 26 the Niners would have the flexibility to package a 3rd rounder to move up 5 spots to get that particular player.

I'm just of the opinion that if were picking in the bottom 6 of each round, that the strategy of taking advantage of over aggressive teams and stock piling for future drafts should be a strategy which should be closely looked at.

Like the idea, i think our 2012 3rd and 4th would be more than enough to get a 2013 2nd rd pick.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:

Like the idea, i think our 2012 3rd and 4th would be more than enough to get a 2013 2nd rd pick.
Agreed! In 2013 we could package a 1st and 3rd to move up to get a player in the first round and have 2 2nd round picks.

When picking this late, a team like the Niners should take a two year approach rather than a one year approach meaning what would give the Niners the best value with 2012+2013 drafts put together rather than what gives the Niners the best value for strictly the 2012 draft.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Resign Goldson, Braylon, Alex, Rodgers, Reggie Smith:

1st round: OG David Decastro Stanford 6-5 312 (gives us a beast RG for the next 8-10 years)
Staley-Iupati-Goodwin-Decastro-Davis (best OLINE in a very long time)

2nd round: CB Casey Hayward Vanderbilt 5-11 190
(gives us a good young CB who is a ballawk and will go well with Brock and Culliver for the future)
Rodgers Spencer Brock Culliver Hayward Brown

3rd round: OLB/DE Chase Thomas Stanford 6-4 240 (Harbaugh guy who gives us good depth at passrusher)
Brooks, Smith, Haralson, and Thomas

I wish we resign AARON RODGERS!
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Resign Goldson, Braylon, Alex, Rodgers, Reggie Smith:

1st round: OG David Decastro Stanford 6-5 312 (gives us a beast RG for the next 8-10 years)
Staley-Iupati-Goodwin-Decastro-Davis (best OLINE in a very long time)

2nd round: CB Casey Hayward Vanderbilt 5-11 190
(gives us a good young CB who is a ballawk and will go well with Brock and Culliver for the future)
Rodgers Spencer Brock Culliver Hayward Brown

3rd round: OLB/DE Chase Thomas Stanford 6-4 240 (Harbaugh guy who gives us good depth at passrusher)
Brooks, Smith, Haralson, and Thomas

No issues here, but I hope we pick up a CB then in FA to pair with Rogers cause Spencer isnt worth a spot anymore.

I don't follow college football much so I am not going to pretend to be an expert of which exact player we should be drafting each round but I do question the logic of spending our 1st rounder on a RG.

One it seems to me that Adam Snyder is doing a decent job at RG. Also, it seems that teams can easily draft a decent starting RG in later rounds of the draft. I believe the Niners would be better off seeing if there is either a DL, WR, or CB that warrants taking in the late first round other wise move down and get more picks rather than blowing a first rounder on a RG.
Here is my scenario.

Rd 1- DE Jared Crick- I doubt DeCastro lasts late, so I think going with a DL like Crick is worth it.

Rd 2- CB Keith Tandy- Need a solid CB to go with Rogers, Culliver and whoever else is signed.

Rd 3- WR Dwight Jones- Solid WR, added to our solid crop of WRs, imagine Crabs and Braylon starting, with Morgan and Jones as 3rd and 4th. Ginn as Returner.

Rd 4- OLB Chase Thomas- It would be nice to see him fall, which is possible, adds to our core of Aldon and Brooks.

Rd 5- OG Lucas Nix- Adds depth to our OL(Goodwin, Iupati, Staley, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Person and Nix)

Beautiful AB... You just saved me a lot of work. Crick would be my first choice and then you follow him with the exact order of needs that I was going to post. Crick would be the perfect guy to eventually replace J Smith and better yet, he gets mentored by a great tutor. Plus, before Crick got hurt this year, he was predicted by many to go in the top 10-15 picks. Now, the Niners may actually have a realistic shot at him.

If the Niners get Crick, then they must get another big CB (they do operate in the NFC West) and then a WCO (big) WR who can block (They have their smallish wideouts already and who knows if Morgan and/or Edwards will be healthy and back next year). After that, getting an OG, OLB, S (ballhawk), RB, and another OLman would be welcome. Depending on who they like, the team could change that order slightly, especially in the later rounds but I personally would love to see the draft unfold this way.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Here is my scenario.

Beautiful AB... You just saved me a lot of work. Crick would be my first choice and then you follow him with the exact order of needs that I was going to post. Crick would be the perfect guy to eventually replace J Smith and better yet, he gets mentored by a great tutor. Plus, before Crick got hurt this year, he was predicted by many to go in the top 10-15 picks. Now, the Niners may actually have a realistic shot at him.

If the Niners get Crick, then they must get another big CB (they do operate in the NFC West) and then a WCO (big) WR who can block (They have their smallish wideouts already and who knows if Morgan and/or Edwards will be healthy and back next year). After that, getting an OG, OLB, S (ballhawk), RB, and another OLman would be welcome. Depending on who they like, the team could change that order slightly, especially in the later rounds but I personally would love to see the draft unfold this way.

Thanks bud, some may say why a DE? Well like you said as a potential successor to Justin Smith, plus we can always use a solid backup DE.

In rd 2, at CB i would also consider guys like Brandon Boykin, Jamel Fleming. If we somehow get a top notch FA CB if one comes up, then in rd 2, go for a S like Markelle Martin, Robert Lester, etc..
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Decastro wont be available at 32

LMAO!!!! "THE FACE OF MISCHIEF"

I don't even think he'll be available at 22, not that we'll be picking there. DeCastro is a beast.

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

I don't even think he'll be available at 22, not that we'll be picking there. DeCastro is a beast.

The list of OG's going early has grown the past 3 years, the trend will continue most likely.

The list of OG's going early has grown the past 3 years, the trend will continue most likely.

There are really only 2 OGs in the 1st 2 rounds, DeCastro and Cordy Glenn, then the next that could play G but is a T is Boise State's Nate Potter.
Resign Alex, Rogers, Brooks, Ginn, Morgan, Goldson, and Braylon

Draft

1st Best corner available
2nd Jered Crick DE Nebraska
3rd TJ Macdonald FS USC

There are really only 2 OGs in the 1st 2 rounds, DeCastro and Cordy Glenn, then the next that could play G but is a T is Boise State's Nate Potter.

I think we may see a C sneak in as well. I am so pissed I have had to work on Saturdays this year, I have seen almost 0 college ball. I do have a feeling that if we draft very late we trade out and acquire a bunch of picks. The FA signings should really show what we will and wont be drafting.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by marshniners24:

LMAO!!!! "THE FACE OF MISCHIEF"

Share 49ersWebzone