LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 321 users in the forums

Justin Smith Clones?

Are there any guys to watch out there who could potentially be another Justin Smith?
Jared Crick, DE/DT, Nebraska
  • sfout
  • Veteran
he wen't down for the year last weekend so his stock will fall a bit. I don't want us using our 1st pick on a DE - only DE/OLB I'll be okay with us using our 1st selection is Courtney Upshaw. 1st round should be used on WR or CB whichever position gets thinned out the most by FA.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
he wen't down for the year last weekend so his stock will fall a bit. I don't want us using our 1st pick on a DE - only DE/OLB I'll be okay with us using our 1st selection is Courtney Upshaw. 1st round should be used on WR or CB whichever position gets thinned out the most by FA.

^exactly. Plus we have guys like dobbs that can at the very least fill in temporarily if justin ever starts to have injuries. Then figure in that when justin absolutely can't play anymore, top DE draft picks pretty much immediately impact(like aldon, these college guys already know how to rush the passer). For now deal with the areas we need upgraded the most, and that's wr or dbs.
Crick is an obvious choice, but keep an eye on Billy Winn out of Boise. He might work his way into the first round.

Hard to spend a first rounder on DE, but Crick may be BPA by the time our pick comes around. He'd be a good fit!
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Hard to spend a first rounder on DE, but Crick may be BPA by the time our pick comes around. He'd be a good fit!

yup id like to groom him

but id rather take a WR or CB
  • buck
  • Veteran
Devon Still PSU

6-4 310 5.06

Has 15.5 tackles for a loss so far this year. Plays both run and pass well.
I like our depth at DL for now. Justin Smith has been a beast for us and he will need to be replaced but I don't think they draft a DE high this year. I also like Demarcus Dobbs. We have 7 guys that play 3 positions. Smith still has 2 or 3 years left on his contract. Other positions will be addressed early in the 2012 draft
Originally posted by buck:
Devon Still PSU

6-4 310 5.06

Not even close to Justin Smith physically. Much more of a run stuffer, pure tackle type. Not much of an athlete

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by buck:
Devon Still PSU

6-4 310 5.06

Not even close to Justin Smith physically. Much more of a run stuffer, pure tackle type. Not much of an athlete
Perhaps, but I would argue that he has a good motor and that is what makes Justin Smith so good.

Devon Still plays in the other team's backfield. He could fit in well as a 3-4 defensive end.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
We need to keep adding depth on the defesive line.
We woudl have had Balmer as a player in reserve ready to step up but somebody screwed that up.
6'5 295' please
Here are a few I like.

Crick, 6'4 286 (Nebraska)
Trevor Guyton 6'2 283 (Cal)
Kheeston Randall 6'4 297 (texas)
Kendall Reyes 6'3 291 (Uconn)
Billy Winn 6'3 293 (Boise State)
Kaleb Ramsey 6'3 283 (BC)

and then if they could put a little on

Cam Johnson 6'3 273(Virginia)
Melvin Ingram 6'2 272(South Carolina)
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Here are a few I like.

Are some of those guys who could provide good value in the 3rd or 4th round if we address the secondary and O-Line earlier?
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Here are a few I like.

Are some of those guys who could provide good value in the 3rd or 4th round if we address the secondary and O-Line earlier?

Ramsey, Reyes and Guyton are more 3rd-4th rd guys, the others are more 1st-2nd rd guys
Share 49ersWebzone