LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

What is the Gap between Luck and Barkley & Jones?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Better prospects than Bradford perhaps, but not Stafford. Stafford was pretty prototype coming out of school. Big arm, accurate, pretty solid base of fundamentals etc etc.

Stafford has never been that accurate of a QB. 57% in college and 56% in the pros.
[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i think kellen moore might have the best NFL career out of all the qbs

His problem is size and you cant really improve that.

not a problem for brees

Yes lets compare him to the ONE guy that has worked out. Name one other QB 5'10"- 6' that has done anything in the NFL.... And no Mike Vick doesn't count unless Kellen Moore is suddenly going to be able to run a 4.3 40.
Doug Flutie.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I actually got into a debate with Maiocco on Facebook about their opinions on Luck. I don't want to brag, but I pretty much schooled him. It doesn't seem that Maiocco really follows college football at all for him to make an assessment like that. He started talking about how Landry Jones makes more big time NFL-throws than Luck. Uhhhh, with the shotgun system they run at Oklahoma, OF COURSE he has more of an opportunity than Luck does. I brought up the fact that Stanford is a RUN FIRST, west coast-type offense, where Luck doesn't have to carry the whole team on his shoulders. His mechanics are out of this world, strong arm, extremely accurate, and makes quick reads. Maiocco never responded after that.

At the same time, it's not necessarily a good thing where Stanford is a run first offense... he'll certainly be more pro ready, and obviously is a prospect with a very high floor and good ceiling, but how many times have we seen him where he has to carry the load by himself, a la Cam Newton? I think it's ridiculous that people view Luck as a perfect prospect, because no prospect is perfect. That doesn't mean that he'll be great, because every great player used to be a prospect, but there are and should be questions asked about Luck if you do your due diligence.

It's really difficult when you have to compare Luck, a college QB playing out of a pro style WCO system, and Cam Newton, who ran the spread. Clearly, they both had talent surrounding them in their respective teams, but let's face it, I don't think that many people really thought Cam would be performing the way he is right now in the pros. He's adjusting real well in the NFL, and I feel that Luck will make the transition quickly too.

Honestly, I do feel that Luck is the perfect prospect. He's got prototypical size at the QB position and is very athletic. He's intelligent and reads defenses pretty quick evident to his high completion percentage. He's got a strong arm, which isn't up for show as often due to the offense they run, but we've seen him toss a 40-50 yard throw while getting tackled and still completing the pass. He throws an accurate ball rolling to his left. His mechanics are ahead of all QB prospects in the draft. He'd be the perfect prospect for a team in need of a QB.

It's rare that any of us calls a prospect "perfect", but for me, the last time I called a prospect "perfect" was BJ Raji. I felt that for our team, he was the perfect prospect.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
I actually got into a debate with Maiocco on Facebook about their opinions on Luck. I don't want to brag, but I pretty much schooled him. It doesn't seem that Maiocco really follows college football at all for him to make an assessment like that. He started talking about how Landry Jones makes more big time NFL-throws than Luck. Uhhhh, with the shotgun system they run at Oklahoma, OF COURSE he has more of an opportunity than Luck does. I brought up the fact that Stanford is a RUN FIRST, west coast-type offense, where Luck doesn't have to carry the whole team on his shoulders. His mechanics are out of this world, strong arm, extremely accurate, and makes quick reads. Maiocco never responded after that.

At the same time, it's not necessarily a good thing where Stanford is a run first offense... he'll certainly be more pro ready, and obviously is a prospect with a very high floor and good ceiling, but how many times have we seen him where he has to carry the load by himself, a la Cam Newton? I think it's ridiculous that people view Luck as a perfect prospect, because no prospect is perfect. That doesn't mean that he'll be great, because every great player used to be a prospect, but there are and should be questions asked about Luck if you do your due diligence.

It's really difficult when you have to compare Luck, a college QB playing out of a pro style WCO system, and Cam Newton, who ran the spread. Clearly, they both had talent surrounding them in their respective teams, but let's face it, I don't think that many people really thought Cam would be performing the way he is right now in the pros. He's adjusting real well in the NFL, and I feel that Luck will make the transition quickly too.

Honestly, I do feel that Luck is the perfect prospect. He's got prototypical size at the QB position and is very athletic. He's intelligent and reads defenses pretty quick evident to his high completion percentage. He's got a strong arm, which isn't up for show as often due to the offense they run, but we've seen him toss a 40-50 yard throw while getting tackled and still completing the pass. He throws an accurate ball rolling to his left. His mechanics are ahead of all QB prospects in the draft. He'd be the perfect prospect for a team in need of a QB.

It's rare that any of us calls a prospect "perfect", but for me, the last time I called a prospect "perfect" was BJ Raji. I felt that for our team, he was the perfect prospect.

There has been a lot of Luck hate lately, Phil Simms said he doesn't think Luck has the arm strength and our very own Ricky Jean Francois said that Luck wouldn't even be the top QB in the SEC This guy is the most NFL ready QB since P.Manning.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aman49:
Doug Flutie.

3 seasons as a NFL starter and only one was any good..... He was more a good story then a good player.
Originally posted by jimrat201:
There has been a lot of Luck hate lately, Phil Simms said he doesn't think Luck has the arm strength and our very own Ricky Jean Francois said that Luck wouldn't even be the top QB in the SEC This guy is the most NFL ready QB since P.Manning.

There's always haters lurking around. Dude is the best QB prospect and people just don't want to realize it so they nitpick on every little thing.
Share 49ersWebzone