There are 210 users in the forums

What is the Gap between Luck and Barkley & Jones?

Clearly, Luck is the best QB prospect to come around in quite some time. However, I feel that Matt Barkley and Landry Jones are also #1 overall pick material in a normal year -- AND I think that Barkley and Jones are better prospects than Stafford and Bradford were.

As a result, I don't think any teams are going to 'sell the farm' in order to trade up for Luck when they could just as easily take Barkley or Jones elsewhere in the Top 5.

Thoughts?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
If RGIII continues his pace he will likely be the #2 quarterback taken (today will be a big test for him). If Barkley and Jones didn't play for USC and Oklahoma they probably wouldn't even be first round picks so I say the gap is HUGE between Luck and those two quarterbacks.
Originally posted by Jcool:
If RGIII continues his pace he will likely be the #2 quarterback taken (today will be a big test for him). If Barkley and Jones didn't play for USC and Oklahoma they probably wouldn't even be first round picks so I say the gap is HUGE between Luck and those two quarterbacks.

Really? Barkley was the #1 recruit in the country and one of the most heralded recruits in a long, long time. Mel Kiper said he'd be the #1 over all pick in 2012 the day he signed with USC.He gets down to his 4th progression on certain plays and is very good at reading defenses.

It's a little harder to read Landry Jones because he plays in a non pro-style offense
The gap is about the distance between the earth and moon. Teams are giving up there season to draft Luck.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
The gap is about the distance between the earth and moon. Teams are giving up there season to draft Luck.

That's absurd. John Elway was the best QB prospect in the past 30 years, maybe in history. Yet there were other top picks who were pro bowlers and hall of famers as well.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Really? Barkley was the #1 recruit in the country and one of the most heralded recruits in a long, long time. Mel Kiper said he'd be the #1 over all pick in 2012 the day he signed with USC.He gets down to his 4th progression on certain plays and is very good at reading defenses.

It's a little harder to read Landry Jones because he plays in a non pro-style offense

What does his high school ranking have to do with his NFL draft stock?

This is just fan speculation. I don't believe it for reasons which have been discussed in full in the numerous, and mainly ridiculous, tanking threads.
That's absurd. John Elway was the best QB prospect in the past 30 years, maybe in history. Yet there were other top picks who were pro bowlers and hall of famers as well.

I agree. But every team needs a franchise qb. And its better for a team financially to go 2-14 and get Luck then 6-10 and get a project LT.

I agree. But every team needs a franchise qb. And its better for a team financially to go 2-14 and get Luck then 6-10 and get a project LT.

Who said a LT. I'm talking about Barkley and Jones
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Guess your forgetting our own Steve Young who was a WAY better QB prospect coming out of BYU.

Guess your forgetting our own Steve Young who was a WAY better QB prospect coming out of BYU.

Not according to scouts
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Not according to scouts

which scouts?
Not according to scouts

which scouts?

Just the football scouts.
As glorious as this class of QBs look I am not all impressed.

Luck is the clear guy. Barkley I have never bought into the hype, just another USC QB.

Griffin looks good, could be a cam newton and maybe better. He is probably the top QB in 2013 if waits till then, which he very well could.

Jones is one that is hard to evaluate, he comes from the same system Sam Bradford came from in Oklahoma.

The rest are meh, Weeden is nice, but remember he is like 28 years old. I doubt you will get 10 years out of him. I wouldn't make him a 1st rd pick.

Cousins, Tannehill and Lindley are the 3 guys I would want to see the 49ers look at.

Kellen Moore I fear will fall and fall and fall down the draft board.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
Just the football scouts.

cause that makes it soooo much clearer...
Share 49ersWebzone