LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Do we need a true NT? (Dontrari Poe, Memphis)

Soap is a stud, he'll be around forever he's a moster somoan. But I'd love to have a super stud to rotate a bit with him.
It would be good to have more players to keep our starters fresh into the playoffs. Soap is playing excellent and doing exactly what Fangio wants - keeping blockers off of our LBs.

We also have Williams and this guy has increible potential to grow into the position.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
It would be good to have more players to keep our starters fresh into the playoffs. Soap is playing excellent and doing exactly what Fangio wants - keeping blockers off of our LBs.

We also have Williams and this guy has increible potential to grow into the position.

Hard to argue with that since we're #1 against the run.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by strickac:
I think NT is a huge need. Sopoaga is hard to move, but he's completely ineffective generating pressure or collapsing the pocket.

All we need him to do is hold his ground. We've got quick, talented linebackers to roam and fill the holes. Justin Smith and Ray Mac are doing the pressuring real well for the d-line.

Exactly, now imagine how much more effective our front seven would be with a penetrating NT. It would open things up on the outside.
we have a true NT in the 1-gap slanting 3-4 scheme fangio runs. it's like Dallas' 3-4 w/ ratliff. there's a reason we didn't press to retain abrayo.

sopo is playing lights out, and i don't mind RJF in relief. a guy like poe wouldn't see the field much.
[ Edited by oldtimer49er on Nov 20, 2011 at 9:57 AM ]
People who say we need a Ratliff, are only kidding themselves. Guys like that come a long once a generation. He is the complete package at NT, it doesn't get better than him. If the nose tackle position was covered more, this guy would get all the hype that other great defensive players have. His pass-rushing abilities + his size for a man that can move like that, is what separates him. There's no other defensive player in the NFL that can do this on his level.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
People who say we need a Ratliff, are only kidding themselves. Guys like that come a long once a generation. He is the complete package at NT, it doesn't get better than him. If the nose tackle position was covered more, this guy would get all the hype that other great defensive players have. His pass-rushing abilities + his size for a man that can move like that, is what separates him. There's no other defensive player in the NFL that can do this on his level.

rattlif isn't a "true" 2-gap NT. DAL plays a slanting 1-gap system like the niners do. sopo is doing great in a similar system. a "true" NT would be wasted in Fangio's D. like i said, there's a reason we didn't push to retain abaryo.
Originally posted by oldtimer49er:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

rattlif isn't a "true" 2-gap NT. DAL plays a slanting 1-gap system like the niners do. sopo is doing great in a similar system. a "true" NT would be wasted in Fangio's D. like i said, there's a reason we didn't push to retain abaryo.

I appreciate your clarification. I vaguely knew there are different ways to play a 3-4, but I didn't exactly know what category ours fell into or how it affects our NT spot.
The "true" NT is dead in todays league, and there is no reason to spend a 1st round pick on one. This D is already 1st against the run... which is the primary reason you would be looking for a true NT. Look at our division as well, no team really excels at running the ball against a legit front 7. Im all for line depth, but IMO we need more penatrators over run stuffers. So if we didnt go DB for the 1st round, it would be smart to go after the best inside pass rusher like Still or Reyes and pick up a run stuffin fatty in rounds 3-5. But honestly, this team needs better DB's and LB depth. Depending on whose available, I will be rooting for either a DB or OLB as our first pick. The DB impact is obvious, but another stud OLB to rotate with Brooks(if he gets resigned) and Aldon will help tremendously. Especially if Aldon continues to develop in all areas.. he could get bumped inside to DT in the nickel package allowing another fast passrusher to get on the field at DE.
After 11 weeks of the season, apparently not.

This may be a bit Captain Obvious, but we have a great group of starters. I think all we need is more depth.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
This may be a bit Captain Obvious, but we have a great group of starters. I think all we need is more depth.

Agreed, soap has been fine, we are 1st against the run and that's pretty much all you ask out of a nose tackle really. I know some people wish we had a guy who could get enough push to make the pocket collapse on passing downs, but that's harder to do in a 3-4 and the guys we've got coming off the edge are good enough to get pressure very quickly anyway.

We just have no one behind him if he gets hurt.
Share 49ersWebzone