There are 176 users in the forums

What would it take for the 49ers to trade fro the #1 pic?

man... another luck thread....
Originally posted by Kolohe:
A draft and a half....and probably Michael Crabtree.

No thanks, now that QB is not our #1 need, there's no need to move into the 1st overall pick. Stay where I'm at and let the draft come to us.

Our team has been a huge surprise. Even most optimistic people had us around .500 this year. When you imply that QB is no longer a big need because of the pleasant surprise Alex has been, the same is really true of all positions.

At CB, we thought it'd be a huge need, but Rogers has been great and Culliver has stepped in. We never thought we'd be one of the best pass rushing teams in the league. We didn't know we had a budding star in Bowman. The O-line could still go either way, but it looks like Davis may be turning a corner, etc.

In other words, if (just saying if; in the grand scheme of things I still think the chances are remote) Harbaugh and Baalke believe Luck is a once-in-a-generation talent, and it's theoretically possible to get your hands on him by trading a draft away, I wouldn't put it past them.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

No thanks, now that QB is not our #1 need, there's no need to move into the 1st overall pick. Stay where I'm at and let the draft come to us.

Our team has been a huge surprise. Even most optimistic people had us around .500 this year. When you imply that QB is no longer a big need because of the pleasant surprise Alex has been, the same is really true of all positions.

At CB, we thought it'd be a huge need, but Rogers has been great and Culliver has stepped in. We never thought we'd be one of the best pass rushing teams in the league. We didn't know we had a budding star in Bowman. The O-line could still go either way, but it looks like Davis may be turning a corner, etc.

In other words, if (just saying if; in the grand scheme of things I still think the chances are remote) Harbaugh and Baalke believe Luck is a once-in-a-generation talent, and it's theoretically possible to get your hands on him by trading a draft away, I wouldn't put it past them.

I think it's a lot easier to plug in any other positional player than QB. Since we have a 2nd rounder in Kaepernick waiting in the wings and are in no rush to find a replacement QB, I can see us drafting for other positions.
Impossible. The Niners would have to give up their entire draft and maybe more to move all the way up to #1 in a year when the prize is Luck
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Impossible. The Niners would have to give up their entire draft and maybe more to move all the way up to #1 in a year when the prize is Luck

I know "give up their entire draft" sounds super dramatic and is supposed to be some kind of deal-breaker, but I see that as very different from impossible. If the team sitting at the top would actually give us Luck for our entire draft, let's face it, that may be a win-win.

Yeah, I know, blah blah blah build through the draft. Also, blah blah blah no one is a sure thing. But I still think that if Harbaugh firmly believes Luck will be the best QB in the NFL in 5 years (i.e. rivaling Rodgers after Brady and Manning are gone), he should pay the price. If Luck is really that good, then even Rookie Luck is probably comparable to the new-and-improved Alex Smith. With the talent around him, our window would be immediately open and potentially remain so for 15 years.

I am making no personal prediction as to Luck's success. I am a big NFL fan but follow CFB zero and have zero scouting expertise. If Harbaugh--even as Luck's biggest supporter and mentor--believes Luck has legitimate bust potential or that his ceiling is lower than "Best in the league," then yeah, none of these extreme trade scenarios are worth discussing.
I don't think one whole draft class would do it. Frankly with a young team like ours and with players growing into the problem areas like OL and DB, one draft would not be a lot. I am thinking whoever gets the first pick will want at least two No 1's and No 2's and probably established players as well. I think the price will rule it out for a young developing team like ours.

It is going to be manic around these parts next spring!
Originally posted by fryet:
Personally, I don't think Luck needs to spend time on the bench for whatever team drafts him. He sounds like a pro ready QB already.

"Sounds like a pro QB already" isn't the same as BEING one. Lots of "sure things" flop in the NFL, you just never know until he gets in that position. But if the Colts were to draft him, it's not about Luck needing to spend time on the bench to learn - it would be the team setting up it's future after Manning is gone. Their window is radidly closing as it is. Manning may "think" he has 5-6 years left, but 3 surgeries in 18 months may say something different. If the Colts only think he has 2-3 good years left, I would draft Luck. Manning would probably disagree, pout, and throw a tantrum - but the Colts are seeing the results of years of ignoring the back up QB position. They should learn from that mistake.
I think the niners will have to give up the 2012 draft as well the 2013 draft to draft him.
If Luck pulls an Eli Manning how much will it cost? Interesting. I could only dream
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I know "give up their entire draft" sounds super dramatic and is supposed to be some kind of deal-breaker, but I see that as very different from impossible. If the team sitting at the top would actually give us Luck for our entire draft, let's face it, that may be a win-win.

Yeah, I know, blah blah blah build through the draft. Also, blah blah blah no one is a sure thing. But I still think that if Harbaugh firmly believes Luck will be the best QB in the NFL in 5 years (i.e. rivaling Rodgers after Brady and Manning are gone), he should pay the price. If Luck is really that good, then even Rookie Luck is probably comparable to the new-and-improved Alex Smith. With the talent around him, our window would be immediately open and potentially remain so for 15 years.

I am making no personal prediction as to Luck's success. I am a big NFL fan but follow CFB zero and have zero scouting expertise. If Harbaugh--even as Luck's biggest supporter and mentor--believes Luck has legitimate bust potential or that his ceiling is lower than "Best in the league," then yeah, none of these extreme trade scenarios are worth discussing.

I agree...I would have no problem at all if it cost the Niners thier entire 2012 draft and picks in 2013 to move up to #1 and take this guy..He's that good

He would come into our system already knowing everything he needs to know and would continue to get coached by Harbaugh.. The only thing he would have to adjust to is the speed of the game and throwing to new teamates..Thats it!! Luck is the best QB prospect since P. Manning and some say he is even better than Manning was

If drafting Luck meant that the 49ers would become a dominant team for at least 10 years and be contending for the Superbowl every year, then it is absolutley worth it to give up the kitchen sink for him.
[ Edited by artiga1 on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM ]

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by artiga1:
I agree...I would have no problem at all if it cost the Niners thier entire 2012 draft and picks in 2013 to move up to #1 and take this guy..He's that good

He would come into our system already knowing everything he needs to know and would continue to get coached by Harbaugh.. The only thing he would have to adjust to is the speed of the game and throwing to new teamates..Thats it!! Luck is the best QB prospect since P. Manning and some say he is even better than Manning was

If drafting Luck meant that the 49ers would become a dominant team for at least 10 years and be contending for the Superbowl every year, then it is absolutley worth it to give up the kitchen sink for him.

Betting everything on 1 guy is not the smartest thing. In fact, it is a pretty stupid thing to do, considering Elway never won a championship without pro-bowl WRs, HOF TE, a RB who was MVP in the league, and a damn good OL - oh and he also had a pretty good defense when he won the whole thing. I can replace Elway with Manning in that sentence and it'd be mostly true for him as well.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Oct 21, 2011 at 3:05 AM ]
We have the best team in the NFL as is. Why mess with a good thing? Alex Smith will probably be better than Luck anyway.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by valrod33:
If Im the Colts and get the number 1 pick I keep it and Draft Andrew Luck to learn under Peyton Manning

I think Peyton is around for another 5 or 6 years and they have some need to fill around him.

He is the same age as Farve was when they drafted Rodgers......
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

But look what hes asking, how much to move into the #1 overall spot and I'm pretty much gonna assume we make the playoff which would land us right at #25-32. Hes not asking me if I would trade up to the #1 overall spot, cause I'd do pretty much anything to draft Andrew Luck. But would Baalke do it, absolutely not, matter of fact if Alex Smith was to blow chunks the rest of the season and we land at the #15 spot which is 8-8. The most realistically we could get to drafting a top notch QB would be either Landry Jones or Matt Barkley, at 5 overall thru 8, which I think they would go that high. But even so, jumping from #15 to #5 would still require our #2, #3 and #5 and probably more, that's not the Baalke we've seen so far. And finally with the drafting of Kaepernick in the 2nd round, no way do I see Baalke and Harbaugh moving up for any QB in this draft, even if Smith blows.

Could Baalke and Harbaugh do the unthinkable and pull off a monster trade to move up to the #1 overall spot, sure, but I just don't see it with a lot of our own impact players becoming free agents.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
We have the best team in the NFL as is. Why mess with a good thing? Alex Smith will probably be better than Luck anyway.

Look I'm loving what Alex Smith is doing and all, but C'mon, once Luck hits the Pro's he will turn into a beast and not the game manager we have right now.
Share 49ersWebzone