LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

CB watch and anyasis

this is an exve a need at CB even if we sign carlos rogers(i really hope we do) a CB is still a need they are 8 CB that have a potential first round grades
they are:
1. Dre Kirkpatrick Height: 6-3. Weight: 190
2. Morris Claiborne Height: 6-0. Weight: 185
3. stephen gilmore Height: 6-1. Weight: 190
4. alfanso dennard Height: 5-10. Weight: 195
5. Jayron Hosley Height: 5-10. Weight: 172.
6 . Cliff Harris Height: 5-11. Weight: 180
7. Chase Minnifield Height: 6-0. Weight: 185
8.Janoris Jenkins Height: 5-10. Weight: 188

in vic fangios defense we focous mainly on man and some zone

i will rank each CB (in my opinion) on:

man coverage
tackling
play making abiility
superstar potential
pro ready

man coverage:
1. morris claiborne
2. jeronis jenkins
3. dre kirkpatrick
4. alfonso dennard
5. Jayron hosley
6. chase minniefield
7. Stephen Gilmore
8. cliff harris

tackling:
1. dre kirkpatrick
2. stephen gilmore
3. morris claiborne
4. jeronis jenkins
5. Alfonso dennard
6.chase miniefield
7. jared hosely
8. cliff harris
(all 1-7 are capable tacklers cliff harris needs a lor of work)

play making ability

1. jayred hosely
2. cliff harris
3. stephen gilmore
4. chase minniefield
5 jeronis jenkins
6. morris claiborne
7. dre kirkpatrick
8. alphonso dennard

superstar potential

1. dre kirkpatrick
2. stephen gilmore
3. morris claiborne
4. jeronis jenkins
5. chase minniefield
6. cliff harris
7. alfonso dennard
8. jayrod hosely

pro ready

1. morris Claiborne
2. jeronis jenkins
3. alfonso dennard
4. chase minniefield
5. dre kirkpatrick
6. stephen gilmore
7. jayrod hosely
8. cliff harris

notes on each CB

dre kirkpatrick- hands down the best size at 6-3 190 pounds he is hands down the best tackler he will shut down the screens and great at press overage and at the short routes. He has the size to play the bigger physical WR and the speed to keep up with the faster WR. He has the tendency to get beat deep (has happened to him a lot last year and a couple times this year this is not due to lack of speed but its something that does need to be worked on

Stephen Gilmore- another player with sperstar potential he has great size and speed. He also has solid hands. However he does have lapses in coverages and he makes a few mistakes. If he fixes his mistakes then he will be a solid CB potentially a shutdown. However untill then i don't think he is a pro ready CB but a guy who will be taken in top 20 due to potential

Morris Claiborne- Last year he was overshadowed by patrick peterson. This year he leads the best secondary in college football. He is having a phenomenal year he is pro read has solid tackling skills great ball skills and has the speed size and strength to match up with any WR) overall he is the best most pro ready CB to come out this year

chase minniefield- hes having a great year he has solid coverage skills and a great tackler however in teh defensive system he plays he typically plays in zone coverage however when given the chance he has played good in man however in our D we dont play much zone so the lack of playing man coverage can be a slight red flag

janoris jenkins- hands down the best cover CB in the draft possibly the best one to come out in a long time with potential shut down corner who is ready to start immeadietly. Were talking about a guy who shut down AJ green (48, 52 yards) julio jones (19 yards) ashton jeffery (52,34 yards) all this as an underclassme. However his off the field problems will cause him to drop

alfonso dennard- solid player and solid tackler he doesnt have the size however he makes up for it with smart football has great ball skills and is great in man coverage hes extremely fundamentally. Only reason he is low on rankings is he spent most oof this year (first 3 weeks) injured

jayred hosely- good player and is a baller Hands down the biggest playmer in the draft he led all of college in INT last year and is currently one of the leaders in passes defensed has solid coverage skills and despite his size is a good tackler. He needs to bulk up a bit to play in the nfl but other than that is a solid player

cliff harris- my least favorite player and i do not like him that much. He has bad work ethic and off the field problems as well and like hosely needs to bulk up before he plays int he nfl has decent coverage but does have lapses however he is a playmaker and has take it to the house ability every time he touches the ball

thoughts and comments?
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Oct 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM ]
id hella take a chance on jenkins
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

That's some pwnage for a supposed Superstar, watch at the :39 second mark.
Give me Dennard in late 1st.

I think Kirkpatrick and Claiborne, who will sore up the boards will go top 15 IMO.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

That's some pwnage for a supposed Superstar, watch at the :39 second mark.
one play doesnt mean much he still had a solid game

but like i said he is still a bit raw either way he will definitally be an effective starter in the nfl the question is just how long it will take and we have the best DB coach the nfl has to offer

again imo dre isnt a top 10 pick but if he drops outside the top 15 i wouldnt mind trading up for him
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
one play doesnt mean much he still had a solid game

but like i said he is still a bit raw either way he will definitally be an effective starter in the nfl the question is just how long it will take and we have the best DB coach the nfl has to offer

again imo dre isnt a top 10 pick but if he drops outside the top 15 i wouldnt mind trading up for him

Your right, that was only one play, but it shows poor technique. I just don't think hes as good as everyone says he is. And his tackling could use some work, hes not as strong in run support as I've seen so far.

Watch him take on Alshon Jeffery in this video.
I wouldnt mind using a 1st n 2nd on Gilmore and Jenkins. Just to finally fix our CB situation once and for all.
No thx. Usually I wouldnt never ever going for CBs with my first 2 picks unless a 1st-round talent like Bowers is available in the 2nd round.
I know the guy isn't eligible for the draft, but a guy to watch is Tyrann Mathieu out of LSU. Easily the best defensive playmaker in all of college football right now. He is a bit on the small size and he lacks elite athleticism, but he can flat out play.

Last year he had 4.5 sacks, 2 INTs, 5 forced fumbles, and 3 fumble recoveries as a true freshman.

This year he has 1 INT, 1.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 3 fumble recoveries with 2 going for TDs.

He is probably the only defensive player who is Heisman worthy right now. I'll gladly make that statement

Originally posted by communist:
No thx. Usually I wouldnt never ever going for CBs with my first 2 picks unless a 1st-round talent like Bowers is available in the 2nd round.

Bill Walsh did it before in 81.

give me janoris jenkins in the late first and hosley in the early third after we trade up thanks!
We will be picking in the 20's, and CB should be our top priority. Even if we resign Carlos Rogers which we need to do now, not later, upgading the right side/depth should be this teams top draft priority. I think Claiborne and Jenkins would be my top 2 choices.
I don't follow CFB and rely on threads like this for my scouting info... but based on your description give me Jenkins. Reading your reports I saw a lot about physical tools and superstar potential and getting beat deep, but I want a guy who will come in and develop a reputation like Revis or Asomugha. I don't care about big plays; I want half the field shut off for the next 10 years.
I don't think you give much credit to Alfonzo Dennard. The guy is definitely a sound tackler and by far, better than Stephon Gilmore and maybe even Kirkpatrick. Gilmore does take some chances to make plays, but he tackles too high very often and the same can be said about Kirkpatrick. Because he's such a big corner, he can get away with it at times in college, tackling high and using poor technique. As for Dennard, due to his size, he goes low for the tackle a lot which is something you want to see out of a corner. I agree with Kolohe that Kirkpatrick may not be as good as everyone thinks. At least not yet.

IMO, at this point, Dennard is the best corner. Had he not gotten injured in the beginning of the season, we'd probably have different opinions right now.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I don't follow CFB and rely on threads like this for my scouting info... but based on your description give me Jenkins. Reading your reports I saw a lot about physical tools and superstar potential and getting beat deep, but I want a guy who will come in and develop a reputation like Revis or Asomugha. I don't care about big plays; I want half the field shut off for the next 10 years.

Janoris Jenkins has all the talent in the world and he should be in the conversation for being the top corner in this draft, however, his off the field issues are going to knock him down as a late 1st rounder. Depending on how he does in his interviews, I don't know if we'll be drafting him.
Share 49ersWebzone