LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 371 users in the forums

Taking a Center in the First Round in 2012?

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Can I get a DB!!! I'm serious since Nate C was signed, but spencer one of my favorites is up in age, Brown sucks, Carlos i would resign but we need an upgrade! Also Dline, OLB.
Fb, Wr unless braylon is resigned..
Also kicker!
As for oline, i think they looked better, davis seems to be the only one with problems but he's young, the center is adjusting to a new playbook with a short offseason. We will see how it goes with him before i start wanting to shuffle the most important spot on the oline.

How is DL a need? If Sopoaga fails sure.

And Kicker, we have Akers, not happening.
Maybe Luck will fall to us at 20.
I would prefer a CB if drafting that late
Pending on where the 49ers draft, I'd love to see them draft a WR. The senior receiver class alone looks good with Michael Floyd, Ryan Broyles and Nick Toon available.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Can I get a DB!!! I'm serious since Nate C was signed, but spencer one of my favorites is up in age, Brown sucks, Carlos i would resign but we need an upgrade! Also Dline, OLB.
Also kicker!
As for oline, i think they looked better, davis seems to be the only one with problems but he's young, the center is adjusting to a new playbook with a short offseason. We will see how it goes with him before i start wanting to shuffle the most important spot on the oline.

D Line is our biggest strength
LB is our 2nd biggest strength
Miller is doing a fine job at FB
Akers is one of the best kickers in the NFL
We are set at WR, especially if Edwards is resigned.

You mentioned Davis on the O-line but some how missed our biggest weakness, RG.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Also kicker!

D Line is our biggest strength
LB is our 2nd biggest strength
Miller is doing a fine job at FB
Akers is one of the best kickers in the NFL
We are set at WR, especially if Edwards is resigned.

You mentioned Davis on the O-line but some how missed our biggest weakness, RG.

He is right about the defensive backfield, though. And you are right about RG. And you can never have enough OLB pass rushers.
wtf ever happened to Cody Wallace?
We signed Goodwin to three years, it is not an immediate issue, so I doubt they are going to draft one in the 1st. I know everyone is down on the line, but I think that time together will improve their play, knowing each others weakness and strengths and how much the other needs help, will add to the cohesivness. Davis hopefully will improve, as he is young. The niners have in the past given up on people who turned out to be productive. The only question may be Snyder, is he signed for 2012?

JH is a pro, unlike some on the board who want to throw people under the bus so quickly

WR and CB/DB are the two biggest concerns right now, however who knows Culliver is a Rookie but by the start of next year he maybe ready. Rodgers is proving more than adequate if he continues, we need to resign him.

I think people are getting ahead of themsleves, I know people want to have something to talk about, but lets wait to see how the season progresses, who is available in Free agency and the draft and where we end up.
Originally posted by WildBill:
We signed Goodwin to three years, it is not an immediate issue, so I doubt they are going to draft one in the 1st. I know everyone is down on the line, but I think that time together will improve their play, knowing each others weakness and strengths and how much the other needs help, will add to the cohesivness. Davis hopefully will improve, as he is young. The niners have in the past given up on people who turned out to be productive. The only question may be Snyder, is he signed for 2012?

JH is a pro, unlike some on the board who want to throw people under the bus so quickly

WR and CB/DB are the two biggest concerns right now, however who knows Culliver is a Rookie but by the start of next year he maybe ready. Rodgers is proving more than adequate if he continues, we need to resign him.

I think people are getting ahead of themsleves, I know people want to have something to talk about, but lets wait to see how the season progresses, who is available in Free agency and the draft and where we end up.

1. It looks like with Snyder in at RG that our Oline has started to stabilize. The next question will be where does Harbaugh see Kilgore playing? If the line plays well consistently then our greatest backup issue will remain OC, so I see us getting a center in the draft.

2. The next question is whether Culliver turns out to be a quality CB? If he does then again we have addressed starting CB.

3. If Dobbs, Williams, Tukuafu all pan out then our DL is well cared for.

4. If A. Smith and Brooks develop then we are set for OLBs.

5. If Alex Smith pans out, and Kap and Tolzien develop we might not need to go looking for QB unless a quality one sinks to us as BPA.

6. If 1 - 5 are settled, then our draft can be BPA within in the needes of our team. So for me that would be Center in training, CB, RB, WR and BPA for competition.

Don't know if we will get any comp picks this year but we should see another interesting draft.
Originally posted by lamontb:

He has been gone for 2 years already. He was a reach by like 2 rounds and it showed. He bounced around 4 practice squads since we cut him. Anyways, now that Beeler is gone who they are looking at for the center of the future. Not that we couldn't resign Beeler to the PS once we get a WR back and cut say Kerry Taylor or Matthews. Goodwin is doing better than he was early on but not sure he can go all 3 years that we signed him for. Could be on our draft list next year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM ]

WE have given Alex Smith 7 years to develop. I'm not ready to give up on our young lineman and Goodwin is locked up for 3 years. Drafting top talent at positions that are expensive to fill in free agency is a must. Elite corners are too expensive in free agency, it takes over paying.

2010 RT, LG
2011 OLB, QB
2012 CB, WR/FS
Obviously, it depends who is still on the board. A lot of high quality players fall into that area that were slotted to go higher.

But off the top, I'd look for BPA in a CB, Safety and a high motor DL to rush the passer in a passing league. Justin still is incredible but he's over 30 and we'll need to groom his eventual replacement.

Center - JH/Ballke seem to have a good eye for talent that other teams overlook in the 3-7th rounds. Look where they got Kilgore, Culliver, etc.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by lamontb:

He has been gone for 2 years already. He was a reach by like 2 rounds and it showed. He bounced around 4 practice squads since we cut him. Anyways, now that Beeler is gone who they are looking at for the center of the future. Not that we couldn't resign Beeler to the PS once we get a WR back and cut say Kerry Taylor or Matthews. Goodwin is doing better than he was early on but not sure he can go all 3 years that we signed him for. Could be on our draft list next year.

2008 4th Rd Pick, and like you said a huge reach, I think John Sullivan was picked by Minnesota later on, and he is starting for them.

That 08 draft pisses me off too this day.

Balmer and Rachal are busts.
R.Smith is ok when healthy
Wallace was too high
Morgan is the best of the bunch
Grant is back
I believe Clayton was picked in this draft and he is Idk where.

Terrible draft.
BPA

But draft DLINE, or OLINE..

I still think we need an heir for justin smith, or any monster NT that may be on the board when we pick, or another DB....
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM ]
Im hoping CB or WR in first round
Share 49ersWebzone