LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Taking a Center in the First Round in 2012?

I think we'll be picking in the 20s, and I can see Ohio St C Mike Brewster ad a great pick there. Thoughts?
I'd much prefer Peter Konz out of Wisconsin
As soon as MD brought up Konz, draft scout had him to us in their new mock.

So the idea and prospect are being looked at.
We need to go with the best CB available. Our current line has demonstrated taking O-lineman early does not always mean better lineman. Kilgore could be our C of the future as well.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
We need to go with the best CB available. Our current line has demonstrated taking O-lineman early does not always mean better lineman. Kilgore could be our C of the future as well.

still need a OG

if Konz is available in the 2nd I would be ok with the pick, just no more 1st round OL
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I agree, but I'd prefer NOT to pick one in the 1st.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Maybe not a guard, but I think center is a critical position. Also I hate to give up on him already, but I think Anthony Davis is not going to turn out to be a good starter for us. Staley has been solid, but struggles against elite pass rushers. Idk about any lineman coming out but if there is a blue chip tackle when we pick, id be all for picking him
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Maybe not a guard, but I think center is a critical position. Also I hate to give up on him already, but I think Anthony Davis is not going to turn out to be a good starter for us. Staley has been solid, but struggles against elite pass rushers. Idk about any lineman coming out but if there is a blue chip tackle when we pick, id be all for picking him

I think we're proving time and time again through these last 3-4 years that you don't need every O-lineman to be a 1st round pick. In the past our O-lines or Centers hardly consist of 1st round picks. Shoot we probably have our future starting Center already on the roster in either Kilgore or Beeler. Sure I wouldn't get my hopes up on either one, but there is good potential there. But its time we STOP neglecting our secondary in the draft and time to rebuild it, or continue to work at it. We're finally becoming a well respected defense in the NFL, pretty much the only thing that's been holding us back is the secondary.....the time is now!!!!
WR or CB in first please
Well it looks like we're going to be picking in the 20's so I'm really not against it considering whose there.

I agree howcritical center is, but it just is not a position that gets taken in the first. Different I guess if it was pretty much the last building block, but we need corner, safety, guard and maybe a receiver if Edwards won't re-sign (hope he does). 2nd or 3rd round are quite early enough to take a really good center, which will also allow us to repopulate the defensive backfield.
I like a Center but like others said probably not in the 1st.
Can I get a DB!!! I'm serious since Nate C was signed, but spencer one of my favorites is up in age, Brown sucks, Carlos i would resign but we need an upgrade! Also Dline, OLB.
Fb, Wr unless braylon is resigned..
Also kicker!
As for oline, i think they looked better, davis seems to be the only one with problems but he's young, the center is adjusting to a new playbook with a short offseason. We will see how it goes with him before i start wanting to shuffle the most important spot on the oline.
RG way way before a C.

Gotta give Goodwin some time to adjust, he hasn't been the started for the entire time here.

Snyder was getting most reps.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we have bigger needs
Share 49ersWebzone