LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 431 users in the forums

2012 49ers Needs and Prospects That Could Fill Them

Yeah, with Culliver and Rogers looking like starters, I am thinking safety in round 1.
At this point, if we're looking at safety, I really don't know if there is one worth taking in the 1st, unless we're picking really late and we select Markelle Martin, who in my mind, is an early to mid 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Yeah, with Culliver and Rogers looking like starters, I am thinking safety in round 1.
there are no FS worth in round 1

i say we go WR or CB still (even with culliver as starter) or maybe a 3-4 DE we lack depth there
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i say we go WR or CB still (even with culliver as starter) or maybe a 3-4 DE we lack depth there

Way too early to be saying that, especially since picks 25-32 all could go either way.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Way too early to be saying that, especially since picks 25-32 all could go either way.

im pretty confident they wont be any FS barron is a SS so is lester

only one is mcdonald who is probally a earl y to mid pick who may sneak into first round but really id rather have goldson back
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:

im pretty confident they wont be any FS barron is a SS so is lester

only one is mcdonald who is probally a earl y to mid pick who may sneak into first round but really id rather have goldson back

If you watch Alabama play they both line-up FS and SS, Safety spots are pretty much interchangeable. But I think there's a lot of talent your overlooking that could easily step into the middle of the 1st round, all it takes is one of them to blast a solid 40 at the Combine. I've been watching the draft for the last 11 years and it always happens that way.
I won't put any mocks up until November -- by then we'll start to have a better idea of some player values -- but I could see the 49ers looking some players like this:

1. Billy Winn-DE-Boise State
2. Vinny Curry-OLB-Marshall
3. Kevin Zeitler-OG-Wisconsin
4. Antonio Allen-S-South Carolina
5. Jamell Fleming-CB-Oklahoma
6. Joe Adams-WR-Alabama
7. Philip Blake-C-Baylor

Obviously some of these guys are likely to rise. Usually the ones I see as my favorites at this time of year tend to skyrocket up a couple of rounds at least, so those Rounds 4-6 players might be 3-4th round guys in April, but right now, I like that as a list of potential new 49ers.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I won't put any mocks up until November -- by then we'll start to have a better idea of some player values -- but I could see the 49ers looking some players like this:

6. Joe Adams-WR-Alabama
7. Philip Blake-C-Baylor

Obviously some of these guys are likely to rise. Usually the ones I see as my favorites at this time of year tend to skyrocket up a couple of rounds at least, so those Rounds 4-6 players might be 3-4th round guys in April, but right now, I like that as a list of potential new 49ers.

I would love that kid! He's a beast.

This is going to be a very interesting off season with all the FA on our team including Rogers and Edwards. Even with Rogers and Culliver, I think they need a better option than Brown. This draft doesn't seem to have a true 1st rd FS. I still think we need a true NT fatty for some depth, but RJF seems to be doing well as the back up. I love the fatty from Washington though and looks like he will be available in the mid to late twenties.

Right now, I am looking at FS, WR, NT, CB, OLB and C.

BPA now more than ever next year. We need another rook who can come in and be an upgrade to a position of need. There will be some interesting FAs so anything is possible.

I have to say that I am very surprised at how quickly Culliver is coming on. I don't think anyone saw this coming. He really looked good at times against Megatron, boy's got some huevos for sure. I like his attitude as well.
Originally posted by ninertico:

6. Joe Adams-WR-Alabama
7. Philip Blake-C-Baylor

I would love that kid! He's a beast.

This is going to be a very interesting off season with all the FA on our team including Rogers and Edwards. Even with Rogers and Culliver, I think they need a better option than Brown. This draft doesn't seem to have a true 1st rd FS. I still think we need a true NT fatty for some depth, but RJF seems to be doing well as the back up. I love the fatty from Washington though and looks like he will be available in the mid to late twenties.

Right now, I am looking at FS, WR, NT, CB, OLB and C.

BPA now more than ever next year. We need another rook who can come in and be an upgrade to a position of need. There will be some interesting FAs so anything is possible.

I have to say that I am very surprised at how quickly Culliver is coming on. I don't think anyone saw this coming. He really looked good at times against Megatron, boy's got some huevos for sure. I like his attitude as well.

Championship teams are always adding playmakers on defense and quality along the OL. This is what we need to do to establish annual dominance. I think we did a good job of drafting development which will turn into good depth while our next set of developmental players come.

I fully expect Chilo to be gone. Person and Kilgore both looked even better than expected in this past pre-season, and they should be even better next year. They supposedly want Kilgore to be the C of the future. Person can play all positions on the line basically, but he was strong at both LT and RG.

Our OL depth next year could look something like:

OT: Staley, Davis, Boone, Person
OG: Iupati, Snyder, Kilgore (G/C), *Rookie*
C: Goodwin, Kilgore

This gives us 9 OL, which most teams carry, with of course Snyder, Kilgore, and Person being swing players.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 18, 2011 at 1:54 PM ]
Championship teams are always adding playmakers on defense and quality along the OL. This is what we need to do to establish annual dominance. I think we did a good job of drafting development which will turn into good depth while our next set of developmental players come.

I fully expect Chilo to be gone. Person and Kilgore both looked even better than expected in this past pre-season, and they should be even better next year. They supposedly want Kilgore to be the C of the future. Person can play all positions on the line basically, but he was strong at both LT and RG.

This gives us 9 OL, which most teams carry, with of course Snyder, Kilgore, and Person being swing players.

Originally posted by ninertico:

Sounds good. Playmakers for the defense would be great!
I think a game changing, play making WR is clearly the Niners #1 need in next years draft
  • sfout
  • Veteran
My favorite targets for our needs, not paying too much attention for projected round or anything.

CB - Based on our performance and likely spot in the draft we'll be in line for Chase Minnifield but my favorite CB so far this year is Casey Hayward from Vanderbilt.

OLB - Courtney Upshaw would be my favorite choice here but Brandon Lindsey is also up there for me.

S/FS - Markelle Martin but if we are looking for depth rather then immediate star I'd say Aaron Henry or Lance Mitchell.

WR - Favorite choice of Alshon Jeffery but would also be happy with Fueller or Criner. Smaller receivers I have my eye on are Keshawn Martin or Jermaine Kearse, and I can't ignore Kendall Wright either.

Tackle - As of now we would need to worry about depth with Adam Snyder as a FA and I haven't been paying too much attention to tackles this year so I won't touch this.

Guard - Rachal is a FA and was recently benched and he responded fairly well to the message but should we move on from him I would hope we went after a solid OG in FA rather then the draft.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think a game changing, play making WR is clearly the Niners #1 need in next years draft

We would benefit the most by choosing a WR in the 1st round.

I also wouldn't mind a guard or safety.
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

We would benefit the most by choosing a WR in the 1st round.

I also wouldn't mind a guard or safety.

Im with both of you. A playmaking WR can take this team to the next level. And we don't know what Edwards and Morgan will do after this year.
Share 49ersWebzone