LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

2012 49ers Needs and Prospects That Could Fill Them

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Yeah I want him back honestly. He's playing really well right now.

Yeah, he is playing almost like his 09 self but we need some ints out of him. He did have the one forced fumble. Only problem is would he let down after a big contract. Also, does he still think he is worth Eric Weddle 40 million dollar contract or will he settle. I would offer something like 3-5 years at 4-5 million a year. Maybe something like 3 years 15 million, 4 years 18 million or 5 years 20 million. I know we offered him 5 years 25 million that he turned down to test the market. I'd top out at like 5 years 20-22 million. Otherwise, I would draft his replacement early in the draft. Also, wondering if we want Reggie Smith back. Personally, I would be fine without him.

Ya Goldson definetly brings a form of physicality that is rare among FS. It has proven valuable in both run and pass prevention.
Tim McDonald Jr is the Free safety at USC and rated as a late 2nd early 3rd. He's 6'2'' 205lbs with range and ball skills.....He also has some decent bloodlines....2 INT's vs Arizona early this year. Someone to watch going forward. Signing John Taylors nephew made me think of it. Goldson and Williams only have 1 year contracts at FS and our secondary is a priority despite improved play from LCB and SS
Goldson is playing for his next contract and is likely going to get the level of his interest (and $) that he was looking for last offseason. Williams is a placeholder at best for this year at SS. Rogers is also on a one year deal, but I see re-signing him as a top priority.

What does all that mean? The Niners will still need to draft one FS and a top flight corner to compete with Spencer and Tarrell Brown. The need is not as dire as it was two weeks ago, but it still should be a priority for next year's draft.
I think Baalke has proven his ability to find real players unlike some poseurs who fake their way into the nfl. I also am of the opinion that now Alex Smith has learned to play that he will not revert to the old Alex so qb will not be a need as we have some good rookies there too. The niners are going to have to draft real quality players to gain from this next draft and not just guys who they might have to cut. I think dbs and OL might be picked as well as another back but as of now the niners are pretty loaded with young future starters so they are sitting pretty well. I think they might try sitting and try picking off the best talents they can according to team evals and try to land stars. Not necessarily the most hyped but the best players for example Aldon Smith. If they target DBs, I think they can replace both Tarell Brown and Spencer and they have both Holcombe and Nelms to look at besides any rookies. I think guys like Culliver and Bruce Miller types are who we should be looking for and possibly trading picks for futures if we do not find needs. I do not foresee much needs for special teams nor the defensive line except for a truly monstrous nose tackle. I think another really good OLB would be a great pick to cover any injuries but Aldon seems to be able to cover all needs by himself. I would love for the niners to draft a great interior lineman or two. I think that would ensure more success for Alex and co. I think replacing Rachal and one more top guard center would set the niners up well. I think both Kilgore and Person are keepers but if they get two more solid OL, we won't deflate like the Jets and Philly and the Cowboys. I suppose drafting more OL may be gilding the lily but IMO that is the one thing that could kill the niners is the collapse of the OL. Even if they turn out to be too superfluous, we should be able to get good trades. How much would teams like Philly give to make the dream team a possibiity with a good OL? I am not too nervous as to recievers as I think we could between free agents and draftees acquire what we need and we have Bynam returning and I have this suspicion next year we go with four tightends. Either Reuland improves his blocking or we find another or perhaps Bynam can supply enough blocking by himself. I kind of like having Bruce Miller and four tightends for moving the chains as well as pounding the heck out of defenses. We seem to be developing a knack for bunging people up so we need to keep it up.
Originally posted by prometheus:
I think Baalke has proven his ability to find real players unlike some poseurs who fake their way into the nfl. I also am of the opinion that now Alex Smith has learned to play that he will not revert to the old Alex so qb will not be a need as we have some good rookies there too. The niners are going to have to draft real quality players to gain from this next draft and not just guys who they might have to cut. I think dbs and OL might be picked as well as another back but as of now the niners are pretty loaded with young future starters so they are sitting pretty well. I think they might try sitting and try picking off the best talents they can according to team evals and try to land stars. Not necessarily the most hyped but the best players for example Aldon Smith. If they target DBs, I think they can replace both Tarell Brown and Spencer and they have both Holcombe and Nelms to look at besides any rookies. I think guys like Culliver and Bruce Miller types are who we should be looking for and possibly trading picks for futures if we do not find needs. I do not foresee much needs for special teams nor the defensive line except for a truly monstrous nose tackle. I think another really good OLB would be a great pick to cover any injuries but Aldon seems to be able to cover all needs by himself. I would love for the niners to draft a great interior lineman or two. I think that would ensure more success for Alex and co. I think replacing Rachal and one more top guard center would set the niners up well. I think both Kilgore and Person are keepers but if they get two more solid OL, we won't deflate like the Jets and Philly and the Cowboys. I suppose drafting more OL may be gilding the lily but IMO that is the one thing that could kill the niners is the collapse of the OL. Even if they turn out to be too superfluous, we should be able to get good trades. How much would teams like Philly give to make the dream team a possibiity with a good OL? I am not too nervous as to recievers as I think we could between free agents and draftees acquire what we need and we have Bynam returning and I have this suspicion next year we go with four tightends. Either Reuland improves his blocking or we find another or perhaps Bynam can supply enough blocking by himself. I kind of like having Bruce Miller and four tightends for moving the chains as well as pounding the heck out of defenses. We seem to be developing a knack for bunging people up so we need to keep it up.
Please use paragraphs... So hard to get through this...even though you make some good points.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Coming back to this thread, I think FS is still a MAJOR concern, Goldson just seems to be late on his reads and out of position at times. It just seems like all this guy is looking for is the big hits. I'd like to see us pick up more of a ball hawking FS. I know OTC has wondered why they don't try Culliver at FS, but you gotta admit, Culliver has been looking pretty solid at CB.

So next draft Ball Hawking FS pretty please!!!!
Now what?

I was saying we need #2 CB but culliver seems solid maybe now we need a WR?

What do u guys think?( talking 1st round)
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Coming back to this thread, I think FS is still a MAJOR concern, Goldson just seems to be late on his reads and out of position at times. It just seems like all this guy is looking for is the big hits. I'd like to see us pick up more of a ball hawking FS. I know OTC has wondered why they don't try Culliver at FS, but you gotta admit, Culliver has been looking pretty solid at CB.

Yeah, I'd like us to go FS as most pressing concern followed by WR. I'd also like to see another QB added to the roster in the mid to late rounds.

And add a CB, OT and OG for depth.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Now what?

Agree. Culliver is turning out to be very solid. A ball hawking free safety would be great
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Now what?

I'm feeling Michael Floyd outta Notre Dame!! In my opinion the guy has all the tools to be a great wideout! Hands, great size, speed, big play after the catch ability..... I feel you can throw to him underneath, deep, up the middle, on the sideline really anywhere and he'll come down with it! My only concern is his route running but I'm sure Harbaugh and the gang can fix that! He honestly reminds me of Brandon Marshall...

But if we don't get him then I'd really like to see us take a DB or DL/OLB hybrid player who can rush the passer because I feel that you can never have too many quality players on defense! Quality defensive rotations always cause issues for an opposing defense..

I think we are talented enough at this point to choose the best available player regardless of position (other than MLB and TE). We will more than likely be selecting in the late 20's (or 30's ) and there's always someone that falls through the cracks.

WR, FS, RG, NT.

A lot depends on who we extend after this year. If the season ended today, we would more than likely extend Rogers, Alex Smith, and Morgan. But what we do with Edwards, Goldson, and others will be a big factor in our draft. Also, if a highly-rated QB falls to us, we would have to at least consider it. Kaepernick is still an unknown commodity.

It's nice to be in a position where you can let the draft come to you and select good players without depending on the draft to make/break a season.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Yeah, I'd like us to go FS as most pressing concern followed by WR. I'd also like to see another QB added to the roster in the mid to late rounds.

Hoping our draft looks something like this:

1st - Alfonzo Dennard

2nd - Dwight Jones

3rd - Brandon Taylor/Lance Mitchell/Aaron Henry

4th - Chase Thomas
1st. alfonzo or minnifield.

2nd. tim mcdonald. or dwight jones.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I can't get behind your mid-late round QB idea. Our current QBs are an above-average [young] veteran and two super raw prospects. We don't need a third. QB should only be in the discussion if it's a first or second rounder that our staff REALLY feels they just can't pass on.
I wouldn't mind drafting Floyd in round 1 and then tim mcdonld round 2 and picking up a big db n FA
Share 49ersWebzone