LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

2012 running back

If we end up in that 6-10, 5-11 record range, considering where we will be drafting what are the odds we might grab a top running back like trent richardson or Lamichael James. The only reason i bring this up is if Gore becomes a free agent getting a replacement might be a concern.
Id take LaMichael James.

Even if gore doesnt sign an extension, he will be tagged. only cost like 5-7M for franchise tender.
Good RBs are usually available late. And since they usually don't last too long, it doesn't make much sense to me to take one in the first.

I think when it comes to late round RBs, bigger, physical guys tend to go better.
  • mod
  • Veteran
we have bigger needs than Gores replacement. We need a RG, OLB, S, CB, DT, DE and possibly a QB or Tackle
Originally posted by modninerfan:
we have bigger needs than Gores replacement. We need a RG, OLB, S, CB, DT, DE and possibly a QB or Tackle

. . . and a LT, LG with a brain and C.
Originally posted by modninerfan:

yea i agree, but id love to get sign the biggest FA O-lineman somebody with experience, drafting O-line has not panned out well lately. Taking a Qb other than luck in the first round would be a big gamble and would basically say kapernick was a poor choice.
Its just a thought it may be tempting if a big name is on the board, harbaugh might jump at the opportunity to grab a young back with good hands that would fit his offense.

i want a CB in next draft resign rogers (who looks the part of a shutdown CB) and draft a top 2 or 3 CB we would finally have a decent secondary
Corner should be our top priority in next year's draft. There's a ton of good corners next year. As far as running back, James is explosive, but no way I'd take him with our first pick in the 1st round.
RB is not a priority this coming draft year. Our top 5 priorities (in no particular order just yet) are:

1. CB
2. FS
3. RG
4. OT
5. NT

We could still use OLB depth outside of Brooks.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
RB is not a priority this coming draft year. Our top 5 priorities (in no particular order just yet) are:

1. CB
2. FS
3. RG
4. OT
5. NT

We could still use OLB depth outside of Brooks.
You could post this every year for the last 6 years minimum

I would never go RB in the 1st round, better to look for them in the mid-rounds.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I would never go RB in the 1st round, better to look for them in the mid-rounds.

I.E. Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Marion Barber, Michael Turner, Shonn Greene...

Or even later: Ahmad Bradshaw, Arian Foster, Peyton Hillis, Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, and LaGarrette Blount.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I.E. Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Marion Barber, Michael Turner, Shonn Greene...

Or even later: Ahmad Bradshaw, Arian Foster, Peyton Hillis, Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, and LaGarrette Blount.

Exactly, Like we are doing, it's become best to stock pile mid rd RB's rather than go for that 1st rd guy. Unless he's the rare bread chris johnson, AP type
Now that Gore is signed I don't see much need for RB. I think Hunter is the #2 and at most we need a 3 if Dixon doesn't pan out. I would go get a vet that can step in and play. I wouldn't be looking for another rookie. That would leave two young guys to replace Gore if he got hurt. Way too many other bigger needs to worry about it now.

I'll agree with OTC for his list but not necessarily in that order. Might even need a QB as well. Also agree with you guys that I am not a big fan of 1st round RBs or even LBs unless they are can't miss and elite. You can find them after round 1.
If Marcus Lattimore was eligible for next year's draft, I'd possibly consider him in the 1st. But you guys are right. Good running backs can be selected later.
Share 49ersWebzone