LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 172 users in the forums

Biggest reach in the draft

Originally posted by susweel:
Its gotta be Jake Locker going number #8 overall. I heard most people were giving him a second round grade at best. Also Ponder going number 12 was a big shocker.

Of the players I had watched Locker would be my pick. Can't understand what they were seeing but wow!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 1, 2011 at 8:28 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Cam Newton at #1

I'd have to agree, no way was Newton worth the #1 overall pick. Only reason I wanted him to go #1 overall was to make Peterson fall to us.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Its gotta be Jake Locker going number #8 overall. I heard most people were giving him a second round grade at best. Also Ponder going number 12 was a big shocker.

Don't know...... Last year, Locker was the consensus #1 overall pick if he had come out. Would be kind of like next year if Luck has a so-so season, does that make him a non-top ten pick?

For me, even though it was not a surprise, the biggest reach was Newton.

this x1000

Definitly Newton at #1... such a panic move.

Second biggest is Locker, he is Leinart 2.0. Not in terms of skill or character but how he was in the debate as the #1 QB available a year earlier, then got a little exposed for his accuracy. Where Leinart sucks as a person and arm strength, Locker may not ever develop the accuracy needed to hit the small windows in the NFL causing him to eventually flame out.

"i'm going to go ahead and disagree with you here" (lumberg from office space). locker hit his sh*t receivers in the hands consistently, they just dropped a TON of his passes
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:

Don't know...... Last year, Locker was the consensus #1 overall pick if he had come out. Would be kind of like next year if Luck has a so-so season, does that make him a non-top ten pick?

this x1000

Second biggest is Locker, he is Leinart 2.0. Not in terms of skill or character but how he was in the debate as the #1 QB available a year earlier, then got a little exposed for his accuracy. Where Leinart sucks as a person and arm strength, Locker may not ever develop the accuracy needed to hit the small windows in the NFL causing him to eventually flame out.

"i'm going to go ahead and disagree with you here" (lumberg from office space). locker hit his sh*t receivers in the hands consistently, they just dropped a TON of his passes

jakexcuses
Ponder going 12 def
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Cam Newton at #1

I'd have to agree, no way was Newton worth the #1 overall pick. Only reason I wanted him to go #1 overall was to make Peterson fall to us.

Certainly though Newton was unworthy of the #1, but based just off of perceived value, these picks were the biggest for me. (first 2 rds)

1. James Carpenter {rd 1 / Seattle}
2. Jonas Mouton {rd 2 / SD}
3. Jaiquan Jarrett {rd 2 / Philly}
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:

this x1000

jakexcuses

His receivers were crap Ill give you that, I still saw allot of innacuracy not due to drops from the few husky games I watched. Other than the 4 husky games Ive seen him in, I haven't seen much else from him, but what I did see wasn't overwhelming in the accuracy department. So when the scouts had that knock on him, in my head it was like "that makes sense".

But you could be right, and I only saw a couple of his bad showings which every QB has. Also, my first impression of him was the state championship game when he was with Ferndale... he didnt look like a legit QB but more like the best athlete in the state playing QB. Compared to other highschool QB's like Barkley or Jake Heaps who I've watched firsthand and was just blown away by their arms.
[ Edited by 5280High on Jun 2, 2011 at 9:28 AM ]
Cam Newton at #1

Well Newton went #1.....Peterson still didnt fall to us.lol......faken hawaiian crystal ball only tell you half da story eh....
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Aldon Smith!!

Seriously, his arms are longer than Elway's face, nobody can reach like he can.

LOL

Cam Newton at #1

I feel bad for the Panthers, how do they not see what an obvious douche he is?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Cam Newton at #1

Newton is gonna be a good football player. Im not sure he will be the star he was in college but he will be a winning QB.
Cam Newton at #1

Newton is gonna be a good football player. Im not sure he will be the star he was in college but he will be a winning QB.

Your viewpoint on Alex Smith makes perfect sense now.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by redrathman:
Cam Newton at #1

Your viewpoint on Alex Smith makes perfect sense now.

Yah, Im the only one the world who think he sucks.
James Carpenter to Seattle. When you take a 2nd-3rd round guy in the 1st, you deserve to be a laughing stock.
Share 49ersWebzone