LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Biggest reach in the draft

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Its gotta be Jake Locker going number #8 overall. I heard most people were giving him a second round grade at best. Also Ponder going number 12 was a big shocker.
There we're some people who thought it was a possibility that Locker could go top 15, but NO ONE thought Ponder would...
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
There we're some people who thought it was a possibility that Locker could go top 15, but NO ONE thought Ponder would...
I saw Ponder to the 'Phins in more than one mock...and with QB's there really is no such thing as reaching. It's such a unique position that I don't buy into the dratkniks rankings. So much of what makes a QB is off film.
Aldon Smith!!

Seriously, his arms are longer than Elway's face, nobody can reach like he can.
Originally posted by susweel:
Its gotta be Jake Locker going number #8 overall. I heard most people were giving him a second round grade at best. Also Ponder going number 12 was a big shocker.

Don't know...... Last year, Locker was the consensus #1 overall pick if he had come out. Would be kind of like next year if Luck has a so-so season, does that make him a non-top ten pick?

For me, even though it was not a surprise, the biggest reach was Newton.
i gotta say ponder

imo he is worth the 12th pick but hasnt proved it in college
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Don't know...... Last year, Locker was the consensus #1 overall pick if he had come out. Would be kind of like next year if Luck has a so-so season, does that make him a non-top ten pick?

this x1000
Cam Newton at #1
Locker surprised me, ponder too.

But before 2010 season started, I had both Locker & Ponder in the 1st round, i believe top 25 too.

But I had Ponder as a 1st rd pick, not a top 15, but 1st anyway.

Locker I had also 1st rd, more 20 range, near Seattle, but didn't think he would go 8th to Tennessee.

Newton wasn't a surprise, his hype leading in was obvious he would be there.

I was surprised Gabbert fell, even though I think he will not pan out, but thats my opinion.
its gotta be Newton or Ponder. I wanted Locker at our pick so it wasnt a big surprise that he went where he did.

Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by socal9er42:

this x1000

Definitly Newton at #1... such a panic move.

Second biggest is Locker, he is Leinart 2.0. Not in terms of skill or character but how he was in the debate as the #1 QB available a year earlier, then got a little exposed for his accuracy. Where Leinart sucks as a person and arm strength, Locker may not ever develop the accuracy needed to hit the small windows in the NFL causing him to eventually flame out.
I think Jonathan Baldwin. I know QB's flame out but you have to keep taking one until you get a guy in there to start.
I had heard reports that the Titans wanted Locker and were going to take him at #8 but I really wasnt buying it. I think it was a reach but not a bad pick. He's the guy they wanted and they got him. He was a first rounder whether they took him or not, IMO.
I think James Carpenter to Seattle and Jon Baldwin to the Chiefs were bigger reaches. I had only seen a couple mocks with Baldwin in the first but none with Carpenter. It was obviously a panic pick because no one wanted to trade. Who knows though they may turn out to be two of the best players from this draft. We all just have to wait and see.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Paz de la hurtface
according to the WZ..every niner pick
Share 49ersWebzone