LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

did you hear trent baalke on chronicle live last night?

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

This is only my guess but I just think a guy like Harbaugh is wired in a way that he can't resist the challenge of fixing Alex Smith. Kinda like those guys that love to fix beat up old cars just for the sake of doing it.

And as 9erred already said there really isn't anything to lose by him rolling the dice on him. Nobody is expecting the team to go to the Super Bowl this year and he fixes Alex Smith he'll have that notch on his belt as the guy who fixed Alex Smith the bust.

If Smith still falters than it'll be because Smith sucked and even Harbaugh couldn't salvage him than Harbaugh turns the page to Kaepernick.

I think JH see's a young Qb that has never been coached up since he was drafted.

This!!!!

Yeah . . . McCarthy, Norv Turner and Martz sure sucked. All three won superbowls as either OCs or HCs. But we know better . . . they couldn't coach worth a dime.

FWIW . . .

2005: McCarthy was dealing with a rookie
2006: Turner had Smith moving in the right direction . . . clearly.
2008: Smith's shoulder was never right under Martz before he got shelved for the year at the end of training camp.

2011: We'll see.

they all had one year with Alex (Martz did not even have that), they had to install their offense (each guy ran a different system) and never got to teach the nuances of the position that Steve Young is so fond of mentioning.

People will spin that just because coaches swept through here for a year that we had good coaching. Nolan picked names out of a hat (literally signing Martz to save his ass) switching schemes at will, not exactly the pillar of vision. Sing set the team, and offense as a whole back 25 years, gladly it seemed. Having stability on offense will help this team tremendously, not just Alex, but the entire team.
Kaepernick "operates well in chaos". Doesn't that describe the exact opposite of an Alex Smith which makes me wonder if Harbaugh is selling up Alex ONLY because we have no QB.

Not really the "opposite." Haven't Alex's "best" moments been under chaos? Doesn't he operate "best" out of 2 min situations where he "calls his" plays, etc etc.

The problem with Alex has been putting it ALL together. Playing mistake free (or at least avoiding game-changing mistakes) football the other 58 minutes is the problem.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Not really the "opposite." Haven't Alex's "best" moments been under chaos? Doesn't he operate "best" out of 2 min situations where he "calls his" plays, etc etc.

The problem with Alex has been putting it ALL together. Playing mistake free (or at least avoiding game-changing mistakes) football the other 58 minutes is the problem.

Very true.

This is only my guess but I just think a guy like Harbaugh is wired in a way that he can't resist the challenge of fixing Alex Smith. Kinda like those guys that love to fix beat up old cars just for the sake of doing it.

And as 9erred already said there really isn't anything to lose by him rolling the dice on him. Nobody is expecting the team to go to the Super Bowl this year and he fixes Alex Smith he'll have that notch on his belt as the guy who fixed Alex Smith the bust.

If Smith still falters than it'll be because Smith sucked and even Harbaugh couldn't salvage him than Harbaugh turns the page to Kaepernick.

I think JH see's a young Qb that has never been coached up since he was drafted.

This!!!!

Yeah . . . McCarthy, Norv Turner and Martz sure sucked. All three won superbowls as either OCs or HCs. But we know better . . . they couldn't coach worth a dime.

LOL thanks for the fail argument. McCarthy dealt with a rookie QB with an offense that was mocked as being less talented than that year's USC squad. With Norv, Alex had an improved season and looked very confident with the system before he left for SD. With Martz, Smith was put in a no win situation due to his injury and JTO, Martz's savior.

Not using chaos in the same terms as Baalke meant I think.

I believe Baalke meant chaos as it relates to pass-rush pressure and collapsing or broken pockets. That he is able to improvise, shift, or move and still complete the play.

Alex imo does not excel in that situation.

He plays well under situational pressure. 1:42 on the clock with 50 yds for a TD and 1 time out is about the only time Alex plays calm and confidently imo. In that situation I trust Alex.

It's the average middle of the quarter no pressure plenty of game left and the score is within 3 that I don't trust him.

THIS

Very true.

Anticipating and throwing receivers open rather than waiting for them to get seperation from a DB is also his main weakness. I always wondered when the coaches and him would say "Alex made the correct reads on all plays but 1 or 2", if these were the correct reads because in his mind the receiver was still covered or whether checking down to Gore was really the right read for the play.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

This!!!!

LOL thanks for the fail argument. McCarthy dealt with a rookie QB with an offense that was mocked as being less talented than that year's USC squad. With Norv, Alex had an improved season and looked very confident with the system before he left for SD. With Martz, Smith was put in a no win situation due to his injury and JTO, Martz's savior.

So what are we now . . . the judge and jury on "fail argument"?

What's going to be the excuse . . . err, sorry, reason . . . this year? There weren't any OTAs? Seeing a pattern here, perhaps?

Never mind.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by servegmo:
I am an optimistic!

I think Alex is going to perform above avarage and will put this team in a position to make the playoffs!

We were so close last year and that with the worst HC and offensive system in the league!!

the nfc west is terrible! we were 1 win away from being in the playoffs!

I hope Kaep doesn't have to start this year, so he can get comfortable with the offense and comes next season ready to be our starter!!

As for Alex, I hope he have a great season so he can compete for next year starter role with any team he desires or even staying with us!

I am supporting him 100%

I agree Alex has shown flashes of brilliance, the Texans game 2 years ago, the Saints and Falcons in a two minute drill. He had the worst coaching I have seen in years so don’t know what we have. I also would love to see him shine; it would give us the Division.

That being said he has not shown any consistency and could be a bust. At least we will now know if he can succeed under better circumstances.

I don't know if you could call it brilliance when the texans game ended in a pick. We also lost all 3 of those games. Alex Smith is a bust. 6 years after this guy was drafted 1st overall we are praying for "above average" play, meanwhile the QB picked after him wins the superbowl. That is by definition a bust of a pick. Doesn't mean he can never be a decent player.

My favorite Alex Smith game.

I think this is everyone's favorite Alex Smith game.

Almost 5 ears ago

Seriously why are we pointing to 1 game half a decade ago while we are still HOPING for consistent AVERAGE play from him? I am done talking about the good things Alex Smith has been able to do until he can start a full season and win more then 8 games. I don't want to hear about reasons why its not his fault either. We drafted the guy 1st overall he needs to be able to put a team on his back.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on May 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM ]

This!!!!

What's going to be the excuse . . . err, sorry, reason . . . this year? There weren't any OTAs? Seeing a pattern here, perhaps?

Never mind.

I understand fans hate to give Alex the benefit of the doubt cuz we expected him to be better than he is, but its sorta true. We hated Sing the last two seasons cuz of his preferred offense. Then he gets fired and Alex plays a great game in his finale. Dude has talent and he should progress under Harbaugh.

This!!!!

Never mind.

I understand fans hate to give Alex the benefit of the doubt cuz we expected him to be better than he is, but its sorta true. We hated Sing the last two seasons cuz of his preferred offense. Then he gets fired and Alex plays a great game in his finale. Dude has talent and he should progress under Harbaugh.

Using the last game as an argument that he has talent is mute. It was a meaningless game. Yes I agree that to be efficient, a player needs to get familiar, the longer the better. Still Mcarthey and Turner, still had to have taught some basics in football. Like understanding what pro defenses are trying to do when they do this and what to look for. Lets face it, Alex can't handle pressure. Harbaugh will find this out, he plays better when their is no pressure. Otherwise he will wilt.

JH knows better than I, but even Walsh erred (Carmazzi). You can't measure if a player can stand to be squeezed and focus or wheather they will wilt. Weather they have heart. I said this, if JH gets Alex, Alex will look better only because they will not put him in situations that will cause him to get in trouble, that is what I feel.
Originally posted by WildBill:

This!!!!

Never mind.

Using the last game as an argument that he has talent is mute. It was a meaningless game. Yes I agree that to be efficient, a player needs to get familiar, the longer the better. Still Mcarthey and Turner, still had to have taught some basics in football. Like understanding what pro defenses are trying to do when they do this and what to look for. Lets face it, Alex can't handle pressure. Harbaugh will find this out, he plays better when their is no pressure. Otherwise he will wilt.

JH knows better than I, but even Walsh erred (Carmazzi). You can't measure if a player can stand to be squeezed and focus or wheather they will wilt. Weather they have heart. I said this, if JH gets Alex, Alex will look better only because they will not put him in situations that will cause him to get in trouble, that is what I feel.

I see where you are coming from, but my argument is more towards the coaching style the Singletary dictated. The guy wanted a smash mouth type of offense and stressed the importance of taking less risks as a QB. Another example was when Mike Johnson took over and Troy Smith had that good game against the Rams. He took a lot of risks and helped us win the game, but the first thing Sing talked about was him taking less risks. He did the same thing with Alex. Two seasons ago, Alex did well under Raye before Singletary wanted to ruin the playcalling.

Now I know people are just going to read this and say "Alexcuses" or whatever, but I think it's true that Sing really screwed with the QB play.
Originally posted by WildBill:

This!!!!

Never mind.

I see where you are coming from, but my argument is more towards the coaching style the Singletary dictated. The guy wanted a smash mouth type of offense and stressed the importance of taking less risks as a QB. Another example was when Mike Johnson took over and Troy Smith had that good game against the Rams. He took a lot of risks and helped us win the game, but the first thing Sing talked about was him taking less risks. He did the same thing with Alex. Two seasons ago, Alex did well under Raye before Singletary wanted to ruin the playcalling.

Now I know people are just going to read this and say "Alexcuses" or whatever, but I think it's true that Sing really screwed with the QB play

I think you're on the money with that.
Share 49ersWebzone