There are 234 users in the forums

Dear Jed.......

Dear Jed,

I understand that you visit the webzone forums from time-to-time. Certainly, you pay someone to monitor the "fan experience" on a daily basis. So, in these days of lockout and obtuse oourt deliberations, accept the following fan input for what it may be worth:

You are blowing the new stadium momentum, and wasting all of your marketing dollars, with this lockout. Hook-up with some reasonable owners, who "get it", such as Dan Rooney and Al Davis, to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Interest in the 49ers is at a low ebb, and fading fast. The artificial background interest stories on draft picks are a dud. Fewer people every day, care about your ball club. In case you hadn't noticed what is happening with your competition, the local baseball club won a champioship and has sold out every home game this season. The Sharks are alive in the playoffs for at least another week. And you are offering your fans bupkus. Heck, even Glen Coffee is getting more positive Bay Area pub for a semi-pro team in Florida, than the 49ers are earning. The paying public, already tapped-out by a lousy economy, is not hoarding their precious cash for seat licenses in a new stadium, which may or may not, ever be built. Your ball club is getting fartrher and farther from view, and becoming less relevant every day. You need to do something now to turn things around, if you want to remain at the center of the Bay Area sports scene, and achieve any of your financial goals.

You recently hired a venture capital guy as Chief Strategy Officer. Let's hope that this guy can land you corporate sponsorship galore to finance your new stadium, because neither the NFL nor Bay Area residents are inclined to provide funding for an obstinate owner, who won't collaborate with Al Davis on a new stadium and who sits idly by, during this lockout, while customer interests and customer money drifts away. If you give a damn about getting your new stadium built (and increasing the value of your family's investment in the team), and/or winning an NFL championship, then quit being a subserviant disciple of Jerry Jones and his ilk, and stand on your own. Be a leader

Yoiur customers ( and it would serve you well to view and refer to the club's fans as customers). have choices. I just spent $800 for season pass ski tickets for the 2011//2012 ski/football season. That's money that the Niners will never see. My sense is that I am not alone these days, with such sentiments.

Be a leader, Jed. Didn't you learn that at Notre Dame?

***MODS - it might be best to move this to the Niner Talk Forum.
[ Edited by jimbagg on May 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM ]
No reason to hate on Jed. I'm glad he is nothing like Al Davis. I initially liked the Nolan hiring, loved the firing. Loved the Singletary hiring, and loved it even more that he finally got fired.

I am stoked about Harbaugh.

Can't really find fault with anything Jed has done. His parents sucked, but I have faith in Jed.
Not hating on Jed. Just want him to wake-up.
I agree with your sentiments, but a few comments:

1) Corporations want to align themselves with teams that are generally successful, because successful teams have much higher TV exposure (MNF, Thursday Night games, Thanksgiving, ...) and therefore, much higher customer-commercial viewership.

2) Spending all available moneys and resources on creating a new stadium at the expense of developing the team wont help either, because it will decrease the free agency spending. So you might have a stadium, but no revenue due to a lack-luster team.

3) Developing a buzz on the field will incite both the fans/customers and corporate sponsorship.

You are right to believe that the general public wont be able to contribute that much too the project. Therefore, in order to create a product that has higher demand and will provide greater revenue in the form of ticket sales, merchanise, and sponsorship for the stadium, a winning/competitive team is paramount.
The thought of the 49ers playing in a Santa Clara stadium every week makes me want to throw up in my mouth.
Quote:
Hook-up with some reasonable owners, who "get it", such as Dan Rooney and Al Davis, to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Dear Jed,

I just got another bill for the season tickets which I cancelled when you raised the price for my 2 seats from $1200 to $2000, plus $300 to be badgered by the various parking police. I too am going to spend my money on other things, rather than renewing and also saving for the big drop on new stadium PSL's.

It took a lot to disconnect a 40-year fan, but you did it.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
First off, why are you writing to the owners and not the players? It is obvious who you blame for this. Second, if you want a new stadium, support the owner position. They are trying to get more NFL dollars so that they CAN build new stadiums. If you want a better team, support the building of a new stadium, because without additional revenue, they won't be able to get the better players like that CB in Oakland (however his name is spelled (: ). And if the team does ever start winning, they won't have the money to pay all of them.
As I see it, there's enough blame to go around to cover both sides.

Just how much is enough? Both sides need to negotiate (in good faith) with their respective attorneys out of the room.

The attorneys are the only folks gaining from this, and the fans are getting the short end of the stick.

I also ask you do something proactive to halt this ludicrous battle of egos Jed.
[ Edited by ishkabibel on May 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM ]
I'm sorry but it's silly to think the 49ers owners actually suppor the lockout. If anything they would much rather get this done than some of the other owners.

They don't have as much money as some of these other guys who can wait the players out and the 49ers are hurt more than other teams by the lockout with new coaches unable to coach up their guys until all this is settled.

York can't really comment on what's going on but I'm sure he'd love nothing more than to have football come back.

If you are trying at all to be serious I would suggest you tone down what come across as insults and use a spell checker.

Getting his hackles raised isn't going to result in him reading your plea with an open mind.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Dear Jed,

I understand that you visit the webzone forums from time-to-time. Certainly, you pay someone to monitor the "fan experience" on a daily basis. So, in these days of lockout and obtuse oourt deliberations, accept the following fan input for what it may be worth:

You are blowing the new stadium momentum, and wasting all of your marketing dollars, with this lockout. Hook-up with some reasonable owners, who "get it", such as Dan Rooney and Al Davis, to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Interest in the 49ers is at a low ebb, and fading fast. The artificial background interest stories on draft picks are a dud. Fewer people every day, care about your ball club. In case you hadn't noticed what is happening with your competition, the local baseball club won a champioship and has sold out every home game this season. The Sharks are alive in the playoffs for at least another week. And you are offering your fans bupkus. Heck, even Glen Coffee is getting more positive Bay Area pub for a semi-pro team in Florida, than the 49ers are earning. The paying public, already tapped-out by a lousy economy, is not hoarding their precious cash for seat licenses in a new stadium, which may or may not, ever be built. Your ball club is getting fartrher and farther from view, and becoming less relevant every day. You need to do something now to turn things around, if you want to remain at the center of the Bay Area sports scene, and achieve any of your financial goals.

You recently hired a venture capital guy as Chief Strategy Officer. Let's hope that this guy can land you corporate sponsorship galore to finance your new stadium, because neither the NFL nor Bay Area residents are inclined to provide funding for an obstinate owner, who won't collaborate with Al Davis on a new stadium and who sits idly by, during this lockout, while customer interests and customer money drifts away. If you give a damn about getting your new stadium built (and increasing the value of your family's investment in the team), and/or winning an NFL championship, then quit being a subserviant disciple of Jerry Jones and his ilk, and stand on your own. Be a leader

Yoiur customers ( and it would serve you well to view and refer to the club's fans as customers). have choices. I just spent $800 for season pass ski tickets for the 2011//2012 ski/football season. That's money that the Niners will never see. My sense is that I am not alone these days, with such sentiments.

Be a leader, Jed. Didn't you learn that at Notre Dame?

***MODS - it might be best to move this to the Niner Talk Forum.

As a fellow fan, I feel your "right" to give your opinion but I guess I have a bit of consternation to some of your statements. You sure put out a lot of opinions and make them sound like facts!!
You state:
"Certainly, you pay someone to monitor the "fan experience" on a daily basis." How do you know this for fact?

"Hook-up with some reasonable owners, who "get it", such as Dan Rooney and Al Davis, to be part of the solution, not part of the problem" Once again, how do you know who Jed is hooked-up with? Also, wasn't Dan Rooney one of the owners who voted for this CBA in the first place? And however do you use Al Davis and "get's it" in the same sentence?!?! Ralph Wilson and Mr. Brown were the ONLY owners to vote against the last CBA.

"Interest in the 49ers is at a low ebb, and fading fast." Once again, your opinion?? I do agree with you on the current plight of all of us and this lousy economy!

I don't see the Glen Coffee stories as positive press; a story out there with so little football to discuss, but a positive story _ questionable.

"because neither the NFL nor Bay Area residents are inclined to provide funding for an obstinate owner, who won't collaborate with Al Davis on a new stadium." Am I missing something here? Is it not part of a future CBA that funds be allocated for new stadiums, so doesn't that mean the NFL does want to fund the new 49er stadium? AND, didn't Santa Clara pass the initiative on the ballot FOR the stadium? Isn't voting 'By the People?'

I do agree with you that as customers, we all have the choice as what to do with our money!

"Be a leader, Jed. Didn't you learn that at Notre Dame?" So are you saying you want Jed to be out in the forefront Against this lockout, against the solidarity of the other owners? Unfortunately that's not the way it works to go against "one's side." Did you learn to be a leader at university? I did not learn to be a leader until I gained valuable work experience. Many others may not learn to be a leader until given the opportunity such as being in the Military. Just because he went to ND does not mean he came out a leader. Experience, training and mentoring and yes, natural ability helps one become a leader.

You have a right to write this letter but how do you expect to be taken serious with your spelling errors?

Personally, I don't agree with the Owners nor the Players but the one thing I absolutely do not agree with is the one lawyer for the players (I think his name is Kessler) that wants to change the NFL in it's entirety when it comes to the draft and free agency.
[ Edited by BodyRocker on May 16, 2011 at 7:55 PM ]
Dear Jed,

Didn't read, lol.
Dear Jed,

Get Eddie on the phone!
Dear Jed,
I do hope you read this, but I doubt you will. Why should I waste my money on you? I every year buy a jersey and go to games. I am a loyal fan, but as a wise man once told me "why am i gonna help you? I pat you on the ass, you sh*t in my hand." Jed, its the nfl, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY? I find myself caring about the nfl less everyday. This lockout has shown me how greedy of a sport this is. Thanks for destroying my love of football....a$$hole..
Share 49ersWebzone