LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Praise for Baalke

Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I sure hope Baalke was not pounding the table for Mays, Rachal and Balmer.

His fingerprints on this draft will pretty much come down to these two players: Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick. If Gabbert ends up the better pro, and a solid franchise QB, as I expect, then Baalke will be known as the guy who passed on him for a redshirt sophomore OLB.

Gonna pass on praising him now. The Niners' fans were elated with new head coach Mike Singletary about two years ago.

P.S. I graded this draft class below average compared to the other teams in the draft, but will be pleased to eat crow if wrong.

Baalke had nothing to do with the Balmer and Chilo pick!

See people don't read the truth, if you gonna blame then blame Harbaugh, he wanted CK and Dalton in that order, Baalke relied on JH's judgement on QB, if Baalke was told that BG was the man and we need to get him, then I am sure he would have, but we didn't. As for the comment known as passing on BG for sophmore OLB, not if CK turns out better than BG. Also, I would rate this draft on how the over all scheme of things turns out not just two picks. Does any turn out to be a Don Griffin, Time McKyer or Jeff Fuller, Keena Turner, Tom Rathman, Jessie Sapolu, John Taylor etc.

But yes I will save praise and chastisement till after four-five years.

Baalke was the Director of Player Personnel, and that is why I said, "pounding the table" (pounding the table can be done by coaches, assistants, scouts, who are pushing for certain players to be selected). He surely had some influence/voice in the pick, even if it wasn't his final call. Hence, the....."pounding the table".

Role players are going to be insignificant in this draft, if Gabbert becomes a solid, top level franchise QB, and Colin ends up being average at best.

I will be around after 4-5 years, and I will enjoy your compliments at that time.

His fingerprints on this draft will pretty much come down to these two players: Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick. If Gabbert ends up the better pro, and a solid franchise QB, as I expect, then Baalke will be known as the guy who passed on him for a redshirt sophomore OLB.

Gonna pass on praising him now. The Niners' fans were elated with new head coach Mike Singletary about two years ago.

P.S. I graded this draft class below average compared to the other teams in the draft, but will be pleased to eat crow if wrong.

See people don't read the truth, if you gonna blame then blame Harbaugh, he wanted CK and Dalton in that order, Baalke relied on JH's judgement on QB, if Baalke was told that BG was the man and we need to get him, then I am sure he would have, but we didn't. As for the comment known as passing on BG for sophmore OLB, not if CK turns out better than BG. Also, I would rate this draft on how the over all scheme of things turns out not just two picks. Does any turn out to be a Don Griffin, Time McKyer or Jeff Fuller, Keena Turner, Tom Rathman, Jessie Sapolu, John Taylor etc.

Baalke was the Director of Player Personnel, and that is why I said, "pounding the table" (pounding the table can be done by coaches, assistants, scouts, who are pushing for certain players to be selected). He surely had some influence/voice in the pick, even if it wasn't his final call. Hence, the....."pounding the table".

Role players are going to be insignificant in this draft, if Gabbert becomes a solid, top level franchise QB, and Colin ends up being average at best.

I will be around after 4-5 years, and I will enjoy your compliments at that time.

There's the pompous, arrogant MD that we all know and love
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I'm back, and with a vengeance.

I think the labor lock-out makes me grumpy. Cheers.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I'm back, and with a vengeance.

I think the labor lock-out makes me grumpy. Cheers.

You and the rest of us, good sir.

WaHahahaha-well said, but the truth is like a three edged sword and it can cut you also. IF you are right I will compliment you, if not I will be a MADDOG w/rabies and shred you. I don't pretend to be all knowing, but like the saying goes every dog has his day, whether the top dog will be you or me we will see, but I like my chances as Colin has a better person behind him (JH) than Gabby.

You say role players insignifcant, I say if the others turn out like how they did in the 86 draft, and they become starter and contributors and get or win the SB then they are not insignificant, as long as CK becomes say a warren moon, doug williams, tony romo, p rivers, phil simms (above average) then I will be happy, if he becomes brady, farve, young, montana then I'll be estatic. The main thing isn't he who shall be named.

See you in five years!
Mcfruitcake would have traded back and selected Kerrigan. Praise Baalke.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on May 12, 2011 at 4:45 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
It is clearly to early too praise or condemn Baalke, but there are some initial, tentative signs.

1. TRADING UP IN THE SECOND

I think that we can assume that Harbaugh wanted to draft Colin Kaepernick.

At the end of the day, Harbaugh should get the credit, or the blame, for the selection of CK.

But, no matter how the Kaepernick pick actually turns out, Baalke should be given credit for making the moves needed to insure that the team got the quarterback that Harbaugh wanted.

2. ATTEMPTING TO TRADE DOWN IN THE FIRST

The selection of Aldon Smith with the seventh pick indicates that Smith was the highest ranked player still available.

It also seems that team felt the seventh pick was a bit high for Smith. By all accounts, it seems pretty clear that Baalke was attempting to trade down and get Smith plus an extra pick.

When it proved to be impossible to work a good trade, Baalke stuck with the board and took Smith.

In my opinion, these are two clear indications, but only indications, that Baalke is going to be good.

There is a third indication, but to me it is much less clear. My sense, my gut feeling is that the selection of Culliver in the third was a selection scripted by the new defensive coordinator.

If this was the case, and again my feeling is that it was, Baalke has shown an ability to work with and trust his coaching staff. This gives a sense that the team has a unity of command and I find that positive.

Of course, the final bottom line is going to depend, and should depend, on how well the drafted players play.

I feel very good about the selection of Colin Kaepernick.

I am optimistic about the selection of Aldon Smith.

And I am hopeful, but nervous about the selection of Culliver.
Originally posted by buck:
It is clearly to early too praise or condemn Baalke, but there are some initial, tentative signs.

At the end of the day, Harbaugh should get the credit, or the blame, for the selection of CK.

But, no matter how the Kaepernick pick actually turns out, Baalke should be given credit for making the moves needed to insure that the team got the quarterback that Harbaugh wanted.

The selection of Aldon Smith with the seventh pick indicates that Smith was the highest ranked player still available.

It also seems that team felt the seventh pick was a bit high for Smith. By all accounts, it seems pretty clear that Baalke was attempting to trade down and get Smith plus an extra pick.

When it proved to be impossible to work a good trade, Baalke stuck with the board and took Smith.

In my opinion, these are two clear indications, but only indications, that Baalke is going to be good.

There is a third indication, but to me it is much less clear. My sense, my gut feeling is that the selection of Culliver in the third was a selection scripted by the new defensive coordinator.

If this was the case, and again my feeling is that it was, Baalke has shown an ability to work with and trust his coaching staff. This gives a sense that the team has a unity of command and I find that positive.

Of course, the final bottom line is going to depend, and should depend, on how well the drafted players play.

Completely agree with you Buck!!! Baalke has been great in my eyes because he targets the guys that they want and then goes and gets them. We will have to wait and see if the guys pan out. If the team doesn't get better it will catch up with him, but surely Harbs said he wanted Kaep, or Fangio said he was high on Culliver, etc... Why would you not listen an expert in their respected field. I'm excited about our picks.
I am starting to understand why guys like Kilgore and Persons were drafted. They were poor fits for their positions in the NFL but good players just handicapped by physical size weight and experience but did well at their positions in college. Excellent tweeners may be an apt description. I looked at Kendell Hunter and he sure reminded me of Gore. He has that one or two step burst that breaks him open. He may not have that long speed but I doubt many backs have that super quick burst that I saw.
I think like our other two backs, he will excel with our OL. They all only need tiny holes to break runs and the maulers we have can make those by falling down. Bruce Miller is an improved white version of Norris and probably stronger. One thing impressed me of Miller was his lower body strength powering thru OL. I thought Norris was losing it in leg drive last year. He wasn't pushing guys out like he used to.
Too often I saw him stacked at the line and I think he was slow getting to his guy which hurt his performance too. At one time he was dominating guys with his strength but those days have gone. I think what with Norris's lousy catching skills and serious drop off on blocking, Miller may be the only Fullback and we use TE/HB
hybrids instead. IMO we will have four TE's. I think Miller may be better then two or three of our linebackers so he may play defense a lot.
Originally posted by prometheus:
I am starting to understand why guys like Kilgore and Persons were drafted. They were poor fits for their positions in the NFL but good players just handicapped by physical size weight and experience but did well at their positions in college. Excellent tweeners may be an apt description. I looked at Kendell Hunter and he sure reminded me of Gore. He has that one or two step burst that breaks him open. He may not have that long speed but I doubt many backs have that super quick burst that I saw.
I think like our other two backs, he will excel with our OL. They all only need tiny holes to break runs and the maulers we have can make those by falling down. Bruce Miller is an improved white version of Norris and probably stronger. One thing impressed me of Miller was his lower body strength powering thru OL. I thought Norris was losing it in leg drive last year. He wasn't pushing guys out like he used to.
Too often I saw him stacked at the line and I think he was slow getting to his guy which hurt his performance too. At one time he was dominating guys with his strength but those days have gone. I think what with Norris's lousy catching skills and serious drop off on blocking, Miller may be the only Fullback and we use TE/HB
hybrids instead. IMO we will have four TE's. I think Miller may be better then two or three of our linebackers so he may play defense a lot.

Miller is not athletic enough to play linebacker any more than as a situational rusher. He would have to compete with Gibson, Brooks, Harylson and Lawson for playing time, all much more athletic and experienced at LB than Miller. He is a passrusher that lives off of his effort. Effort alone usually does not get it done at OLB in the NFL. I am excited to see him at FB however.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on May 13, 2011 at 4:29 PM ]

Originally posted by jacklegniner:

Agree. Great input

Completely agree with you Buck!!! Baalke has been great in my eyes because he targets the guys that they want and then goes and gets them. We will hoave to wait and see if the guys pan out. If the team doesn't get better it will catch up with him, but surely Harbs said he wanted Kaep, or Fangio said he was high on Culliver, etc... Why would you not listen an expert in their respected field. I'm excited about our picks.

Good stuff, buck, as usual. I agree with you.
I will praise him when he gives Alex Smith the boot. I know he really wants to cut that bum, but Harbaugh is holding him back.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i like baalke a lot he has shpwn he isnt afraid to get his guy last year it was davis this year it was kaepernick

hopefully next year it will be a good CB

Baalke shpwned the draft.

That Culliver pick will forever bother me unless the guy at least turns into Shawntae Spencer.

Could happen. Spencer was a height/speed guy who didn't play a lot of football coming out but turned out well.
Share 49ersWebzone