LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Breaking down the 2012 QB class

Quote:
An early look at some of the top quarterback prospects for the 2012 NFL draft.

Seniors

Ryan Tannehill: Texas A&M (6-4, 220)
In my mind he’s the most intriguing senior quarterback prospect in the class. Tannehill only has seven starts under his belt as a QB. However, he’s decisive, accurate and a gifted athlete inside/outside the pocket. He displays a real understanding of the game and I expect him to take off this year as a QB prospect.

Ryan Lindley: San Diego State (6-3, 218)
A tall, lean quarterback prospect with a great arm, but will need to prove he can still be efficient with a new head coach and two new receivers to throw to come September. However, the tools are there.

Brandon Weeden: Oklahoma State (6-4, 220)
He’s older than most prospects and doesn’t have a ton of experience. However, the guy can really spin the football and easily makes all the throws. Physically, I don’t think there’s too much separating him from former Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert to be honest.

Kirk Cousins: Michigan State (6-3, 205)
A tough, savvy Big Ten quarterback who knows how to move the chains, is accurate with the football and consistently wins football games. He’s not as naturally gifted as some of the other top QB prospects on the list, but he just finds a way to get the job done.

Nick Foles: Arizona (6-5, 245)
Foles possesses great size, can make all the throws and completed over 67 percent of his passes last year as a junior. However, the biggest question I have concerning him is… Can he win football games down the stretch? He lost his final five games of the year last season.

John Brantley: Florida (6-3, 220)
I’m not ready to write off the kid yet. He was thrown into a tough situation at Florida trying to replace Tim Tebow in an offense that wasn’t an ideal fit for him. However, with Charlie Weis now calling plays, I think the kid has a chance to mature into a legit NFL quarterback prospect.

Terrelle Pryor: Ohio State (6-6, 235)
He’s a better thrower of the football than many give him credit for. However, he is slow to decipher information, doesn’t have a natural feel for the pass game and struggles whenever he can’t improvise or make his mind up before the snap. Looks more like a developmental/late round QB prospect to me at this stage.

Underclassmen

Andrew Luck: Stanford (6-4, 235)
Simply put: He’s the best QB prospect I have ever seen. He can make all the throws and displays impressive accuracy on all levels of the field. Watching him get his team in and out of plays and deciphering information flawlessly is what really has me intrigued.

Matt Barkley: USC (6-2, 220)
If there’s one guy who could challenge Luck for the top spot it’s USC’s Matt Barkley. Barkley has started for the Trojans since his freshman year, is efficient in a pro-style offense and even as a freshman was a leader of men. Look for him to take that next step this season in year two under Lane Kiffin.

Landry Jones: Oklahoma (6-4, 220)
Some scouts I’ve talked with think it’s Jones who could end up challenging Luck as the number one overall pick. I’m not nearly that high on him, but you can’t ignore the kid’s skill set.

Link Here...
too early besides im more interested in the CB and NT prospects
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

My thoughts exactly.
Originally posted by strickac:

My thoughts exactly.

this
I'm about as big of an Andrew Luck honk as there is, but the best QB prospect Bunting has ever seen? Come on now.
LUCK.
Don't forget about Boise State's, Kellen Moore.
Originally posted by strickac:

My thoughts exactly.

I'm not. I honestly think almost all these guys are better QB prospects than even Newton and Gabbert.
I think next year's class has more upside that this year's class.

I believe the QB draft order will go like this:

1) Luck- first overall
2) Landry Jones- third overall
3) Matt Barkley- seventh overall
4) Nick Foles- thirteenth overall

Weeden probably is a first rounder, as well. Five first round QB's make sense to me.

The top three guys are pretty good players, and beat the top three from this year's class.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 10, 2011 at 08:03:22 ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

1) Luck- first overall

Weeden probably is a first rounder, as well. Five first round QB's make sense to me.

The top three guys are pretty good players, and beat the top three from this year's class.

I'd expect at least one, if not two, of them to end up playing in our division.

Soooo, who are these compelling prospects? They must be pretty good to distract your attention from Andrew Luck, who ... ahhhh, n/m.

For the record, I am very interested in Luck.

Is there a Ngata or Deion type coming out in next year's draft that I haven't heard about?
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:

Soooo, who are these compelling prospects? They must be pretty good to distract your attention from Andrew Luck, who ... ahhhh, n/m.

For the record, I am very interested in Luck.

Is there a Ngata or Deion type coming out in next year's draft that I haven't heard about?

we are not gonna get luck because we are not getting the first overall pick and if we were intrested in qb prospects picking collin was an extremely stupid move
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

1) Luck- first overall

Do you actually expect the top 3 to declare for the draft?? Like you said, those three are better than this years top 3. One of them could easily go #1 overall in the 2013 draft.

BUT if all 3 to declare I have no doubt in my mind teams are gonna be knocking over other teams for these 3 guys.

Btw I think Nick Foles is horrible, no way that guy is a 1st round pick. Slow feet, leaves his receivers out to dry, stares down his targets, decision making stinks. I wouldn't select this guy in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

1) Luck- first overall

Do you actually expect the top 3 to declare for the draft?? Like you said, those three are better than this years top 3. One of them could easily go #1 overall in the 2013 draft.

BUT if all 3 to declare I have no doubt in my mind teams are gonna be knocking over other teams for these 3 guys.

Btw I think Nick Foles is horrible, no way that guy is a 1st round pick. Slow feet, leaves his receivers out to dry, stares down his targets, decision making stinks. I wouldn't select this guy in the 2nd round.

i agree i think either matt barkley or landry jones will not declare whoeever is the consensus #3 qb after this season
I see next years top 3 QB prospects being rated higher than this year's number one overall pick.
Share 49ersWebzone