LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

Boatload of picks or a top ten player? You be the GM, if we had a trade partner.

Boatload of picks or a top ten player? You be the GM, if we had a trade partner.

Before the draft i would say take the picks. But Aldon is one of our own now and im gonna back him up! So glad this monster is on our team!!!!!
We got Aldon Smith.....all teams should be praising us for getting him......
Originally posted by lifer49erfan:
I would do the trade back everytime unless I was able to get a sure fire starter at a need position.

thats pretty much what we got
0-16 this year...
next year andrew luck. SIMPLE
Hindsight is 20/20, knowing what you know now, who would you have taken and would that player be worth it and make an impact? All tose picks from Atlanta don't mean squat if your picks don't result in anything.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Hindsight is 20/20, knowing what you know now, who would you have taken and would that player be worth it and make an impact? All tose picks from Atlanta don't mean squat if your picks don't result in anything.

Since Aldon Smith hasn't stepped on the field and since we don't know more about him than we did after his pro-day, there is no hindsight involved in this scenario.

-9fA
I really think the team was trying to only trade back far enough to still be able to get Smith. When they couldn't, they still took him.It would have been bonus to be able to get him plus all the draft picks. Didn't someone say that they saw Balke throwing the phone down or something like that?I think that was the original goal. They had ample opportunity to pick someone else that was "Projected top 7". That tells me they were real high on him Period.
I wish we would have traded away our 1st round pick in 2005.
I wish everyone would stfu.

We got him, deal with it.
[ Edited by 49erAllTheWay on May 14, 2011 at 3:42 AM ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
We almost did get what ATL gave Clevland. I woulda loved that. We probably would've gone Jimmy Smith @ our new position.

Plus we'd have a hundred picks to trade to #1 next year for Andrew Luck. I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland did that.

lol you actually think whoever has the 1st pick will trade it. Andrew Luck is percieved as this decades Peyton Manning. Youd have to throw this season to get Luck.

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
We almost did get what ATL gave Clevland. I woulda loved that. We probably would've gone Jimmy Smith @ our new position.

Plus we'd have a hundred picks to trade to #1 next year for Andrew Luck. I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland did that.

lol you actually think whoever has the 1st pick will trade it. Andrew Luck is percieved as this decades Peyton Manning. Youd have to throw this season to get Luck.

also atlanta is probally gonna go the the nfc campionship game at least theyre easily one of the best teams in the nfc along with the packers that isnt enough ammunition to trade up for a decade player
Oh come one! Everyone knows you trade a boat load of picks for a top player. Jimmy Johnson should have done that in the early 90's instead of building up picks.

I am reminded of the Eric Dickerson trade.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Since Aldon Smith hasn't stepped on the field and since we don't know more about him than we did after his pro-day, there is no hindsight involved in this scenario.

-9fA
Let me clarify since you missed the point. The hindsight being that knowing where all the players have fallen and taken in the draft. What or who would you have taken in the draft with the Falcons picks.

The second phrase is in reference of course to those players you then take, but it won't matter or be known if you made the right decision or if they bust. Until its too late. That is what I am saying, so you get cache load of picks, but if these late picks don't materialize into something meaningful and Smith does become a force, then you just screwed up big time. If it turns out like the cowboys for Walker
I don't think the question and the actual poll answers are the same thing.

There is also the fact that we didn't make that trade for a reason....we COULD NOT!

It's stupid to even look back on something that happened before our pick.

We won't really know for like 5 years. For a while there it looked like the Cutler to Chicago trade was very one sided in favor of Denver...well now all those picks Denver had didn't ammount to much.

Same problem here. If Aldon Smith goes on to be a hall of famer pass rusher and Cleveland doesn't draft a single decent starter with all the picks they got then the answer is obvious.

More doesn't always mean better when it comes to draft picks. As fans you always think/hope your team drafts well so obviously more picks = more chances to draft stud players. Realistically it doesnt' happen all that often.

They tried to trade down, nobody bit so they stayed and took a player they liked. Let's just see how the kid does.
Share 49ersWebzone