LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

MadDog's Final Wrap Up Grade for Niners

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Thank you for your perspective, MD.

On a side note, I've noticed a lot less s**t-slinging in these threads this year and I credit that to the change in your tone. You should be commended for that, MadDog.

I was about to post these same two thoughts.

Well done, MD.

I kinda miss the OLD MD. He was very full of himself and still is but I guess he is getting OLD like the rest of us. I sure hope some of these picks make it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Considering that MadDog had us winning the NFC West and going to the playoffs last season -- I consider his bad grades to be a Godsend.

Looks like Harbaugh and Baalke had a great draft after all.

Originally posted by billbird2111:
Considering that MadDog had us winning the NFC West and going to the playoffs last season -- I consider his bad grades to be a Godsend.

Looks like Harbaugh and Baalke had a great draft after all.

You are right. I projected the Niners to go 9-7 and make the playoffs as the divisional winner.

As for the draft, I can be wrong, but historically, I have been pretty dead-on about the Niners draft classes in the past. As stated in this thread, the top two picks have a big upside, but my concern is that both are extremely risky, and this team needs stability and hitting on the draft as a bridge to the future. We have drafted an impact second or third rounder in years, and our first rounders, even at the high end, have been met with mixed results.

In other words, this team has taken too many risks before, and they rarely pan out.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
too long, didn't read

Next time, I will add either "Christian Ponder" or "Ricky Stanzi" to each sentence.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 2, 2011 at 17:20:13 ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It has been another extraordinary draft, and was a crazy ride along the way. In a very abbreviated review of who had the most draft selections in the 254 draft, it appears that OTC once again pinned the MadDog for the second straight year, and once again beat every single draft prognosticator in the business. Yours truly coming in second once again. OTC is the draft king. At some point, when I can reclaim some bit of time from the universe, I hope to do a complete review for my records.

How many of the 254 did you guys have right? I know in the past you have topped most of the experts. Thank you both for all your hard work.

yeah!!

Appreciate it, fellas.

By my initial count, I got 206/254. MD and I both topped 200 for sure.

I've compared Maddog's and OTC's mocks with mine. Predictably, I came in third.

METHOD:
The first number indicates the number of drafted players not on that person's mock. For the second number, I used absolute values indicating how far each prediction ranged from the player's actual slot. I added 255 points when a drafted player wasn't in that person's mock. Lowest number wins.

OTC: 52 misses (202/254); 19,901 points
MD: 53 misses (201/254); 19,943 points
Me: 55 misses (199/254); 21,112 points

Paul, I went back and recounted. My initial number was off, but only by one. Still seeing only 49 misses.

I've got, by my count, 51 misses. Walters had a good year for them. Only 53 misses. Russ Lande of the Sporting News- 68 misses. Sideline Scouting-61 misses.
Well...that's one man's opinion...I'll bet if you talked to the Niner coaching staff you'd get a much different picture. The truth is, nobody, not MadDog, not me, nor anyone else really knows how good or bad this draft will be. It's true, there's a lot of work to be done...but, Harbaugh's confident his staff can coach up these guys to be productive Niners. Grades at this point are utterly meaningless...because none of these guys have stepped on a 49er practice field yet. I'll withhold judgement...because as of yet, there's nothing in their fledgling Niner careers that gives a clue how they'll do.

I've got, by my count, 51 misses. Walters had a good year for them. Only 53 misses. Russ Lande of the Sporting News- 68 misses. Sideline Scouting-61 misses.
??? walterfootball?
It has been another extraordinary draft, and was a crazy ride along the way. In a very abbreviated review of who had the most draft selections in the 254 draft, it appears that OTC once again pinned the MadDog for the second straight year, and once again beat every single draft prognosticator in the business. Yours truly coming in second once again. OTC is the draft king. At some point, when I can reclaim some bit of time from the universe, I hope to do a complete review for my records.

How many of the 254 did you guys have right? I know in the past you have topped most of the experts. Thank you both for all your hard work.

yeah!!

Appreciate it, fellas.

METHOD:
The first number indicates the number of drafted players not on that person's mock. For the second number, I used absolute values indicating how far each prediction ranged from the player's actual slot. I added 255 points when a drafted player wasn't in that person's mock. Lowest number wins.

Paul, I went back and recounted. My initial number was off, but only by one. Still seeing only 49 misses.

OTC,
Of course, I could have made a mistake although I double-checked my work and used Excel. Would you like me to PM to you the names of players I have your mock as missing?
I'm with MD. I worry about all the position changes for the players coming out.

The players they drafted have some upside, but we also gave up a lot of choices to make those pulls. I think that's where I have the most heartburn. I wish they had leveraged all those choices into a few more solid choices, rather than 'upside' players.
Well, just wanna share that I live in Austin Tx, and was listening to the local sports radio show this morning. They interviewed a beat writer from Houston. He said the Texans biggest flop was not landing Aldon Smith. They wanted to trade up with Denver and Arizona to grab Aldon, but that they both wanted too much in return. Apparently Bumm Jr thinks Aldon will be as good or better then D Ware.. So maybe that C grade will turn into a A+ sooner then later. Who knows, hopefully some day we will thank the Elways and the Tards for not taking the bait.

Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
too long, didn't read

Next time, I will add either "Christian Ponder" or "Ricky Stanzi" to each sentence.

lol
Nice recap MadDog

yeah!!

Appreciate it, fellas.

METHOD:

OTC,
Of course, I could have made a mistake although I double-checked my work and used Excel. Would you like me to PM to you the names of players I have your mock as missing?

MadDog just posted up a moment ago that he actually only had 51 misses, and that makes sense because I tracked both our results through the entire draft and knew I had two more players picked than he did, which would put me at the 49 I counted.

I use Excel as well, so go ahead and send it to me, and I'll see what's up.
You study these players way more than me. But until proven otherwise, I’ll be optimistic and give Balke et al the benefit of the doubt. The draft is full of risky picks, projections and developmental players. But here is how the 49ers are long-term projecting these players, so think positive:

Aldon Smith . . . . . = Charles Haley
Kaepernick . . . . . . = Rodger Staubach
Chris Culliver . . . . = #3 CB / nickel back
Kendall Hunter . . . = Darren Sproles
Daniel Kilgore . . . .= Heitman
Ronald Johnson . . .= #3-4 WR
Colin Jones . . . . . = Cliff Harris (6x pro bowler)
Bruce Miller . . . . . = Tom Rathman

Championship!
if they wanted a converted LB to play FB they should have just brought back Brit Miller and saved the draft pick.
Share 49ersWebzone