There are 216 users in the forums

MadDog's Final Wrap Up Grade for Niners

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Kaepernick's throwing motion is much ado about nothing. He gets the ball out fast.

Kendall Hunter is fine but the best 49er pick in this draft... please. The fact that Noel Devine went undrafted shows that RBs are a dime a dozen.

Also Kaepernick > Andy Dalton.

Still, he needs to tighten that up, that's a funky looking delivery. At the least so it looks astically pleasing.
I'm really concerned about this draft overall. Aldon was a huge reach IMO. They couldn't get a trade to go through and panicked and threw down the phone and made a huge reach. The Kaepernick pick while I like it in some ways is a huge projection. Pistol offense... And a funky release and run a lot rather than stay in the pocket. Throw in small hands. I just don't know. I will hope for the best. Then a speedy corner who is raw but has upside. Then a speedy back who was productive. I agree I like that pick. Later you have a guy who was hugely productive as a pass rusher in college and they want him to play fullback... A position he never played before ever.

I just don't know about this draft. But I'm worried in a lot of ways. I will hold my final judgement and hope for the best. I do feel Baalke is over his head and have always believed that. I'm really concerned.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm really concerned about this draft overall. Aldon was a huge reach IMO. They couldn't get a trade to go through and panicked and threw down the phone and made a huge reach. The Kaepernick pick while I like it in some ways is a huge projection. Pistol offense... And a funky release and run a lot rather than stay in the pocket. Throw in small hands. I just don't know. I will hope for the best. Then a speedy corner who is raw but has upside. Then a speedy back who was productive. I agree I like that pick. Later you have a guy who was hugely productive as a pass rusher in college and they want him to play fullback... A position he never played before ever.

I just don't know about this draft. But I'm worried in a lot of ways. I will hold my final judgement and hope for the best. I do feel Baalke is over his head and have always believed that. I'm really concerned.

How was Smith a huge reach? So far as I can tell he was predicted to go somewhere between around 8-12. I dont see a reach, and certainly not a huge one.
Originally posted by English:

How was Smith a huge reach? So far as I can tell he was predicted to go somewhere between around 8-12. I dont see a reach, and certainly not a huge one.

A lot of boards had him rated around 20. After the fact a lot of WZ guys will tell you how awesome he was because the want the pick to be ok. But they were on the phone and couldn't get a trade to go through. So they were forced to pick. And I think the panicked a bit and reached. I hope it works out. But I just don't see him worth #7.
Originally posted by English:

A lot of boards had him rated around 20. After the fact a lot of WZ guys will tell you how awesome he was because the want the pick to be ok. But they were on the phone and couldn't get a trade to go through. So they were forced to pick. And I think the panicked a bit and reached. I hope it works out. But I just don't see him worth #7.

I think they're calm and collected enough (Harbaugh was a successful NFL QB ffs and a great college coach which requires you to NOT panic). Do you really think Harbaugh panicked so much that they submitted the pick with several minutes to spare? If they really didn't know what they were doing, they would've waited until the very end to make a pick (since that would've shown they didn't know what to do).

The draft IS about value, but it's also about picking the best player on your board. If you think you can get that player by trading back, then you do that, but if you can't trade back to the point where the risk of losing the player you want is worth it, then you've got to stick with the pick and take who you think is the best player.
I don't get how Smith was a panic pick?? I think Gabbert would have been the panic pick. They wanted to trade, that didn't happen. Some of you act like they should have easily been able to trade back but that simply isn't the case. Once they knew a trade wasn't happening they immediately took Aldon who was the second best 3-4 OLB prospect in the draft. Fits possibly the biggest need. This guy draws some comparisons to Ware who a lot of people thought was a reach when he was draft at #11 and that seemed to work out fine.
Read something recently that indicated the Texans had Smith as their top target over Watt, but who knows for sure?

Overall, I agree with you MD... stated that I couldn't give our draft grade anything higher than a C.

The thing to remember is that WE are not insiders to all that our F/O does, tries, and knows. Just keep that in mind. We make judgments on all of the info we get over the months leading up... but that info can be limited compared to what our F/O gets opportunities to dig into.
warren sapp and steve maruucci se a lot in smith as well does vic fangio and wade phillips

he had 12 sack in rookie year despite only playing football for 2 years prior

had 5 sacks last season despite a beoken fibia (coming maybe 5 weeks early) and missed 3 games

also he is freaklishly athlethic great footwork and great with his arms
great stuff as always MadDog
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Agree with MadDog. This draft gets a C from me. Could've gotten a NT, a real FB, didnt address the need at CB. Ugh.

Yeah i would give a C also for the reason you just listed. And Culliver maybe be a safety meaning they didn't address CB or NT at all. IF Nate and Franklin walk the defense is gonna have 2 major holes. RJF, and T Brown aren't gonna cut it. Gonna have to hit free agency if it ever begins.

What bothers me is almost EVERY pick is a PROJECT. Some even expected to play a completely different position or to go from defense to offense.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
What bothers me is almost EVERY pick is a PROJECT. Some even expected to play a completely different position or to go from defense to offense.

They can't all be top five picks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

It's was really kind of a draft for depth.. We took some OL, DB, and ST. There's only two that will probably see playing time, Smith and Hunter. Everyone else is their for ST and depth.

[ Edited by mayo49 on May 2, 2011 at 08:26:05 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redrathman:

They can't all be top five picks.

Exactly.
not that issue again guys, it is NOT usual that a prospect is a day one starter. do u really think that newton will be ready? i dont.
Share 49ersWebzone