There are 222 users in the forums

MadDog's Final Wrap Up Grade for Niners

Quick question MD. The grade isn't more about who we picked as they all may pan out with good coaching but he fade is more about the fact that we could have gotten those players at later spots?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It has been another extraordinary draft, and was a crazy ride along the way. In a very abbreviated review of who had the most draft selections in the 254 draft, it appears that OTC once again pinned the MadDog for the second straight year, and once again beat every single draft prognosticator in the business. Yours truly coming in second once again. OTC is the draft king. At some point, when I can reclaim some bit of time from the universe, I hope to do a complete review for my records.

Still greatly commend and respect your tremendous work, MD. It was incredibly close this year, with just a few picks making the difference.

As far as the grades go... For those that thought I was being too critical with an overall "B" grade, this will bring shrieks of terror.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It has been another extraordinary draft, and was a crazy ride along the way. In a very abbreviated review of who had the most draft selections in the 254 draft, it appears that OTC once again pinned the MadDog for the second straight year, and once again beat every single draft prognosticator in the business. Yours truly coming in second once again. OTC is the draft king. At some point, when I can reclaim some bit of time from the universe, I hope to do a complete review for my records.

How many of the 254 did you guys have right? I know in the past you have topped most of the experts. Thank you both for all your hard work.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

How many of the 254 did you guys have right? I know in the past you have topped most of the experts. Thank you both for all your hard work.

yeah!!
Meh. I trust in OTC/AB, MadDog's day are waning.

Still greatly commend and respect your tremendous work, MD. It was incredibly close this year, with just a few picks making the difference.

As far as the grades go... For those that thought I was being too critical with an overall "B" grade, this will bring shrieks of terror.

next year can the both of you put your lists in excel books so I can track easier
Agree with MadDog. This draft gets a C from me. Could've gotten a NT, a real FB, didnt address the need at CB. Ugh.
Originally posted by 49erJim:

yeah!!

Appreciate it, fellas.

By my initial count, I got 206/254. MD and I both topped 200 for sure.
Nice work as always, MD. Even if I might disagree with some of your assessments, you always back up your views with evidence, which I respect.

All of that being said, it is my view that this is an extremely difficult draft to judge because of the labor circumstances and the behind the scenes stuff going on.

I think what this draft also proves is that the Niners have different criteria for evaluating players than most so-called NFL experts do. Harbaugh has definitely left his mark on this draft...and one can see that he allowed a lot of input from his coaching staff.

Now it seems the Niners place a high priority on character, on a "team first" attitude, on versatility, and on guys who truly love the game. In other words, they value guys who may not be the most talented or highly rated but who are going to work hard to develop their skills and become better players.

Obviously, they also have a tremendous amount of confidence in their coaching staff to identify the types of guys they like and then to develop them into effective players. Bill Walsh had the same type of approach as a matter of fact, and Dwight Clark was the poster child of just such a player.

It is certainly a different way of drafting than most teams do. The only other team that has drafted this way in the past few years is New England. They tend to draft versatile, under the radar players who fit their system. It has certainly worked for the Patriots. Let's hope it does for the Niners.

Cheers!
i was wondering if we should read this draft in the light of the lock out and our ability to resign own FA?
would they have pass on Gabbert if they didn't already known that alex smith was coming back?
can't we come to the conclusion that they're very confident that they will keep Franklin too?did they pass on Amukamara cause they already known that clements accept to restructure his contract?
i'd like to know ,in your opinion, what are the odd of keeping our differents fa: baas ; franklin; spikes? also what about our chance to keep the rfa?(lawson goldson and mc donald).i really think that ultimatly the succes or failure of this off season linges on the ability to keep most of our own free agent?your thought?
finally any free agent we should target?personnaly i would love the FB of the Ravens and cullen jenkins of green bay

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Quote:
Sixth Round- Ronald Johnson and Colin Jones- C- grades
Both players will struggle to make the roster in 2011, as Johnson will be competing for the 4th or 5th WR position, and may find it hard to supplant Williams and Zeigler. Jones, who I like as a player, will have to compete with a bunch of safeties, and maybe even draftee Chris Culliver. Johnson and Jones present good special teams value, as both are fast players. Johnson can return kickoffs, Jones could be a gunner. However, both non-special team positions are pretty well stocked, and I'm not sure I see much of an upgrade. In Johnson's case, the better pick was two selections later, with 3-4 DE David Carter of UCLA. Don't we need a fullback or nose tackle, or backup DE, or center with experience????

Mad, you've got to remember that Williams can't stay healthy and Zeigler is coming off a torn ACL. Johnson will be the 3rd reciever, just by default, once the season starts.
i call bulls**t because i like this draft but i guess well see in a year or two if you were right. i think we got some studs out of this draft.
Kaepernick's throwing motion is much ado about nothing. He gets the ball out fast.

Kendall Hunter is fine but the best 49er pick in this draft... please. The fact that Noel Devine went undrafted shows that RBs are a dime a dozen.

Also Kaepernick > Andy Dalton.
Originally posted by 49erJim:

yeah!!

Appreciate it, fellas.

By my initial count, I got 206/254. MD and I both topped 200 for sure.

I've compared Maddog's and OTC's mocks with mine. Predictably, I came in third.

METHOD:
The first number indicates the number of drafted players not on that person's mock. For the second number, I used absolute values indicating how far each prediction ranged from the player's actual slot. I added 255 points when a drafted player wasn't in that person's mock. Lowest number wins.

OTC: 52 misses (202/254); 19,901 points
MD: 53 misses (201/254); 19,943 points
Me: 55 misses (199/254); 21,112 points
Great post, as always. I just want to post some random thoughts...

In my opinion Aldon Smith was a bad pick. For the little I have seen of him, he plays too high and he is stiff, too. His combine numbers seem to confirm this.I hope to be very, very wrong. If you agree with me, probably the C grade is too kind.

You are really high on Gabbert. IMHO he is difficult to judge, because he played in the spread, and I don't see the upside in his play; I prefer to see another year of Alex Smith.

Colin Kaepernick has a great upside and he seems to be a very good guy. I think that in the long run he could be the best qb in this class. He has some problems on the release (low release/sidearm at times), but it doesn't seem slow to me. He needs time to grow, as every qb, especially in this class. Good pick (better than C).

I completely agree with your opinion on Culliver and Hunter.

The trade up for Kilgore was fool. He wasn't even in you big board .

Ronald Johnson could be a good pick, we'll see. We saw nothing of Williams last year and we needed another punt returner if we give up on him or Ginn.

I hope Harbough will try Bruce Miller at OLB first, because he will show his hustle and he will remain there. I don't know how you can think to convert such a productive defensive player to FB. Great pick, terrible idea. He could be a very good backup in the 3-4.

[ Edited by jrice80 on May 2, 2011 at 02:47:29 ]
Share 49ersWebzone