There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Final Wrap Up Grade for Niners

Originally posted by jreff22:
As for Smith, he is a good straight ahead rush backer. At the same time, he is not an elite athlete, which is what you want from a guy this high on the board.

How did Manny do during the combine?

Aldon Smith is by far one of the best athletes from this class. just have to find out how good of a football player he is?
HEY MD

why do you have culliner rated so high (im just wondering) cause from all the scouting reports ive seen he is all track star but has no instincs so what do you see in him and what do you feel his role in the team will be (not talking now but in the future)
Thanks for doing all of the pre-draft homework, MD.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Must sign a veteran QB (A. Smith or Hasselbeck most likely?).
2. Must re-sign NT Franklin or a FA clone. No draft help at NT.
3. Must re-sign Lawson at SAM. Aldon Smith is a WILL, replacing Haralson.
4. Must re-sign Baas or a FA Baas clone. Heitmann is retiring. Need a vet at Center.
5. Must re-sign Spikes, and must still believe in both McKillop & Penn State guy.
6. Must re-negotiate and re-sign Clements.
7. Club will not make a big effort to re-sign Goldson (see Culliver/Jones)
8. Club will not make a big effort to resign Westbrook (see Hunter)
9. Club will not make a big effort to re-sign Wragge (see Kilgore/Person)
10. Kyle Williams better stay healthy or buh-bye.
11. I don't expect any post draft trades (no Josh Johnson, Kolb, etc).
12. When FA open, this club had better get busy!

Draftee - Stylistic Comparison

1. Aldon Smith - Greg Lloyd
2. Kaepernick - Randall Cunningham
3. Culliver - Merton Hanks
4. Hunter - Ricky Watters
5. Kilgore - Conrad Dobler
6. R. Johnson - Mike Wilson
7. Bruce Miller - Brit Miller
8. Jones - Curtis Taylor
9. Person - Chris Patrick
10. Holcomb - Vickiel Vaughn

Lots of small-school guys (compare to where the Raiders picks came from) and too many position-changers to suit my taste. But, hey, we'll see.

Final thought: Hope that Alex Smith and whomever else got a playbook on Friday, has been to Kinko's and made/distributed copies for ALL their team-mates. Everybody has to cut corners (cheat?) to get this team up to speed on the new schemes. You know that other clubs are doing this.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
And do you think any coincidence that the two Head Coaches that were most perceived to be QB guru's JH and Mike Shanahan past on Gabbert and the other "1st Round QB's" for that matter. While the defensive coaches took the QB's. And being that Mike has ran the WC offence for over twenty years I think I'd trust his and JH's opinion on what QB's fit their offence.
Thanks for the breakdown MD. Also thanks for all the work you did leading up to and during the draft. Guys like you, OTC, GoFD, and AB are the reason this is hands down the best message board. Great job man.
Originally posted by KID9R:
And do you think any coincidence that the two Head Coaches that were most perceived to be QB guru's JH and Mike Shanahan past on Gabbert and the other "1st Round QB's" for that matter. While the defensive coaches took the QB's. And being that Mike has ran the WC offence for over twenty years I think I'd trust his and JH's opinion on what QB's fit their offence.

THIS!
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Thanks for doing all of the pre-draft homework, MD.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Must sign a veteran QB (A. Smith or Hasselbeck most likely?).
2. Must re-sign NT Franklin or a FA clone. No draft help at NT.
3. Must re-sign Lawson at SAM. Aldon Smith is a WILL, replacing Haralson.

Draftee - Stylistic Comparison

1. Aldon Smith - Greg Lloyd
2. Kaepernick - Randall Cunningham
3. Culliver - Merton Hanks
4. Hunter - Ricky Watters
5. Kilgore - Conrad Dobler
6. R. Johnson - Mike Wilson
7. Bruce Miller - Brit Miller
8. Jones - Curtis Taylor
9. Person - Chris Patrick
10. Holcomb - Vickiel Vaughn

Lots of small-school guys (compare to where the Raiders picks came from) and too many position-changers to suit my taste. But, hey, we'll see.

Final thought: Hope that Alex Smith and whomever else got a playbook on Friday, has been to Kinko's and made/distributed copies for ALL their team-mates. Everybody has to cut corners (cheat?) to get this team up to speed on the new schemes. You know that other clubs are doing this.
MadDog I appreciate the work you do on the boards and I always enjoy your view on all things Niners. I think your wayyyyy off with your grade on this draft but only time will tell. Some of your logic into why you graded the picks the way you did wasn't very solid.
Originally posted by jreff22:
As for Smith, he is a good straight ahead rush backer. At the same time, he is not an elite athlete, which is what you want from a guy this high on the board.

How did Manny do during the combine?

Also he may not be a workout warrior or combine guy but is that really a bad thing? Would hate to get sucked into a kid because his combine numbers were great, a lot of potential OLB's have failed who were combine kings. And you don't think Jim would know who could run his system the best...I doubt he would want a kid who couldn't do it. Do you see any potential or are they utter failures like you pegged Mays as?
As I stated in another thread, this may be a case of a draft braintrust thinking it sees what others don't. I admit the picks are ceratinl;y deserving fo a "huh?" Hopefully they don't end up with a "duh". Time, coaching, desire, work ethic and potential will all play into whether or not the choices prove out. If MadDog's evaluations prove accurate though, it makes you wonder why the 9'er professionals didn't see the same things.
It seemed to me Baalke was drafting for players that they believed could play in their system. Now to be fair, Bill Walsh himself drafted players in a similar fashion in that his choices may have not looked as good to others but he believed he could mold them to fit his system. I'm not saying Baalke is Bill Walsh by any stretch of the imagination but time could change people’s opinions. I recall Walsh making some "so-called" experts scratch their heads in the1986 draft. I remember hearing somebody say it was the worst draft he's ever seen and low and behold Walsh plucks out eight starters for a two-time Superbowl winning team. I’m not holding my breath but I am keeping an open mind with an optimistic outlook. Will see…
value is almost impossible to determine on those later round picks, so im not sure why you kill the 49ers on it. How did you determine value of those picks? draftniks? nfl.com? Prospects in the 1st round or two are far more scrutinized by media, so its easier to ascertain their value. Not really so this time. What's interesting is that they traded up for kilgore which will really tell us how good the scouting really is. They must've really liked him.

On the other hand, I think the niners should've taken locker/gabbert/dalton/ponder in the 1st if they had them ranked much higher than kaep. QB position trumps all.

[ Edited by dhp318 on May 1, 2011 at 20:25:56 ]
I think I will trust Harbaugh and this regime a bit more than people like McShay or even worse amateurs from this website. The draft could be an A+ if Smith and Kap become stars. Check back in 2013 and only then will any grade be relevant.
Originally posted by KID9R:
I agree with you (first time ever) with the grades. exept for Aldon I'd give a B-. A lot of sheep around here will be up in arms though.

I just love how In years past we get the "name" players at a later round then expected and its all "we got a steal here, we nailed the draft, look at the grades we got here and here".

But the second that its the other way around it's "well I trust the coach, or you guys didn't put in the work the FO did."

This is how the day after grades work, perceived value. They mean nothing. But people around here can't even admit that we should get a bad "day after grade". That doesn't mean it will be a bad draft.

The good thing about reaching at nearly every pick is that at least we now they probably got most of the guys they wanted.

This I agree with. Excellent post Kid!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think I will trust Harbaugh and this regime a bit more than people like McShay or even worse amateurs from this website. The draft could be an A+ if Smith and Kap become stars. Check back in 2013 and only then will any grade be relevant.