There are 354 users in the forums

MadDog's Final Wrap Up Grade for Niners

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by dj43:
Too much of the success of this draft depends on Aldon Smith. With so many high value picks available at positions of need for the 49ers, if Smith turns out to be a first year starter and Pro Bowl-level guy in three years, he will have been a good pick. If not...

After that, Hunter is the most encouraging pick.

It seems there was little emphasis placed on getting high value. That emphasis gave this a frenetic feel.

Of course if Harbaugh and staff are the great teachers everyone here feels they are, they will coach these guys up quickly and MAYBE earn a playoff berth...but I am going to be very cautiously optimistic.

IMO, I dont think that was the purpose of this draft. We drafted a lot of raw talent from rounds 1-7. I think Harbaugh plans to field Sings 2010 team and figure out who's worth keeping. That's why this lockout could work to our advantage (2010 FA rules). Meanwhile, guys like Aldon, Kap and Culliver will get some spot duty. With that said, I think if any of our draft picks look worthy to start they will. I think we will slip into the playoffs, if we can sign a few of our FAs. 2011 is a 2010 redue.

Outstanding point and my thinking as well. I would also have been fine with not taking a QB for this reason. If the lock out drags, and I think it will, next season is shot and pretty much a "see what you have and develop youth" season for teams w/o a veteran QB. We really need a full offseason to have a chance, so I see 2013 as the turning point. Might as well have drafted with that mindset, immediate contributors aren't going to be the difference.

Don't you think the longer we wait to draft a QB the longer it will take that QB to get acclimated? Even in a lockout, at least Kaep can memorize the playbook and work with others to play it out and learn things. New QB next means ground zero.

Not saying I didn't like the pick, I did. But I also would have understood not taking one this year only, there isn't going to be another lockout in the next couple of years. I don't know that simply getting a playbook matters much w/o coaching and practice. He can work with other players (like AS who learned to drop back) but you also run the risk of developing habits early on.
I am not even close to being an optimist. But our luck has to change for the good at sometime dosen't it? Ok who want to sell there soul to the Devil for this draft to turn out good?
A week later, looking at this draft, I can say that many of the picks do excite me.

My five favorite prospects entering into the draft were Amukamara, Kaepernick, Bruce Miller, Kendall Hunter, and Greg Little. I didn't expect the team to take Kaep or Miller, but I'm happy they did.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
A week later, looking at this draft, I can say that many of the picks do excite me.

My five favorite prospects entering into the draft were Amukamara, Kaepernick, Bruce Miller, Kendall Hunter, and Greg Little. I didn't expect the team to take Kaep or Miller, but I'm happy they did.

Did you expect us to try Miller at FB?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by dj43:
Too much of the success of this draft depends on Aldon Smith. With so many high value picks available at positions of need for the 49ers, if Smith turns out to be a first year starter and Pro Bowl-level guy in three years, he will have been a good pick. If not...

After that, Hunter is the most encouraging pick.

It seems there was little emphasis placed on getting high value. That emphasis gave this a frenetic feel.

Of course if Harbaugh and staff are the great teachers everyone here feels they are, they will coach these guys up quickly and MAYBE earn a playoff berth...but I am going to be very cautiously optimistic.

IMO, I dont think that was the purpose of this draft. We drafted a lot of raw talent from rounds 1-7. I think Harbaugh plans to field Sings 2010 team and figure out who's worth keeping. That's why this lockout could work to our advantage (2010 FA rules). Meanwhile, guys like Aldon, Kap and Culliver will get some spot duty. With that said, I think if any of our draft picks look worthy to start they will. I think we will slip into the playoffs, if we can sign a few of our FAs. 2011 is a 2010 redue.

Outstanding point and my thinking as well. I would also have been fine with not taking a QB for this reason. If the lock out drags, and I think it will, next season is shot and pretty much a "see what you have and develop youth" season for teams w/o a veteran QB. We really need a full offseason to have a chance, so I see 2013 as the turning point. Might as well have drafted with that mindset, immediate contributors aren't going to be the difference.

The success of this draft will ultimately come down to BOTH Aldon Smith and Kaepernick. Honestly, If Kaepernick becomes a stud QB and the rest of our picks suck, this draft will be considered a success
OTC, MD and others draft guru... A simple question. You are Baalke, at n. 7, and 49ers pick is...
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

The success of this draft will ultimately come down to BOTH Aldon Smith and Kaepernick. Honestly, If Kaepernick becomes a stud QB and the rest of our picks suck, this draft will be considered a success
whats so wrong about that...if you are not absolutely stupid, you will always find CBs, NTs, pass-rushers somewhere. but franchise-qbs are hard to find...
Interesting listening to Razzano and playing speed saying that some teams will put the players fastest 40-time on their board so if he ran a 4.3 at the combine, that's what the team would grade the player by but when he was with the Niners, he said they put the players in-game 40-time.

So, I guess scouts will have a stopwatch on hand and time a player during a game or if the film is raw footage with no speed altercations, then they time when viewing the film. That's very interesting.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Interesting listening to Razzano and playing speed saying that some teams will put the players fastest 40-time on their board so if he ran a 4.3 at the combine, that's what the team would grade the player by but when he was with the Niners, he said they put the players in-game 40-time.

So, I guess scouts will have a stopwatch on hand and time a player during a game or if the film is raw footage with no speed altercations, then they time when viewing the film. That's very interesting.

Like a Boss!!!
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Maddog I enjoy your input and analysis of prospects. I hope you are wrong about this draft so the 49ers can become a playoff team once again.

Over the last several drafts the Niners have not drafted a Qb or pass rusher and in this draft they got both, so hopefully this draft which is getting C grades is a better draft then the 2009 draft which was a B avg draft and is still waiting for Crabtree to prove that to be an accurate grade.

Your analysis is pretty weak. There is a good reason that scouts spend a whole year in there evaluations of potential draft picks. They study every inch of game film from high school through college, and talk to every coach that came in contact with that person. You read what other's have written and put your own spin on the info as do most analysts. Case in point you gave Aldon Smith a C grade when most scouting departments had him going at #6 through #15' which is an A or A- grade. Where did your info come from for a C grade, draft media I'm sure, not real evaluation. Also a big named "big college" player does not equal NFL success, and likewise a "small program" obscure player does not mean a lesser talent. We have to trust our scouting department to correctly evaluate those prospects wherever they come from, and neither you or I are really qualified to do that!
I give your evaluation a D+.
Originally posted by destroyer:
Your analysis is pretty weak. There is a good reason that scouts spend a whole year in there evaluations of potential draft picks. They study every inch of game film from high school through college, and talk to every coach that came in contact with that person. You read what other's have written and put your own spin on the info as do most analysts. Case in point you gave Aldon Smith a C grade when most scouting departments had him going at #6 through #15' which is an A or A- grade. Where did your info come from for a C grade, draft media I'm sure, not real evaluation. Also a big named "big college" player does not equal NFL success, and likewise a "small program" obscure player does not mean a lesser talent. We have to trust our scouting department to correctly evaluate those prospects wherever they come from, and neither you or I are really qualified to do that!

Care to provide your own analysis in addition to attacking the OP's?
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Did you expect us to try Miller at FB?

No. And I still hope that somehow we either find a better alternative, or he's a two-way player.

Back to back Conference Defensive POY awards and three-time All Conference USA First Team, 2010 Bowl game defensive MVP, Rivals.com 2010 All Bowl Team, CBSSports.com 2010 All Bowl Team.

Never less than 7 sacks in a season and career totals of 57.5 TFL and 35.5 sacks, 6 forced fumbles, and 3 interceptions (2 returned for TDs).

An incredible list of credentials to not be used at pass-rusher. His only knock is not having the longer arms that most elite NFL pass-rushers do.

At the VERY worst, he would make an outstanding TED guy to replace Spikes.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I actually think his point has validity even without providing his own analysis. I actually think it would contradict his point to a certain extent.

We have very limited access to game tape, and a lot of game action happens either off camera (receivers and secondary) or in the midst of a huge clusterf**k (offensive/defensive lines) with obstructed views. I'd also have a hard time envisioning someone having enough time to adequately evaluate the amount of potential prospects that there are in a thorough manner.

As a result, I think it's a reasonable POV.
Share 49ersWebzone