There are 210 users in the forums

Kiper's and McShay's final draft grades

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by WildBill:
I love how people say with definity that that the pick was a reach etc. or that Baalke doesn't know what he is doing without taking into account other factors. People forget the coaches have every much the responsibility to properly coach up the OLB or any other player to all star possibility, not just the QB.

The players will only be a reach if they only start and not perform to expectations. eg. If Aldon starts but turns out to be like lawson.

However, if Aldon gets double digit sacks, preasures, interceptions, passes batted down etc. Then he will not have been a reach. Think like how he in the weeks before the draft, we saw the draft do overs.

A good example-remember the DE Houston picked and everyone critisized? Had a slow first year, but now everyone sings his praise.

That is a great point. I hear people say how great the 1986 draft was but how would it have graded out the next day. Also our first pick was Larry Roberts. The right situation and more importantly the right coaching can make any draft great.

Here is that draft after Roberts and I ask you: Did the players drafted matter as much as our coaching staff?

3 1 Tom Rathman FB 6-1 232 Nebraska
3 9 Tim McKyer CB 6-0 174 Texas-Arlington
3 21 John Taylor WR 6-1 185 Delaware State
4 14 Charles Haley LB 6-5 230 James Madison
4 19 Steve Wallace T 6-5 276 Auburn
4 20 Kevin f*gan DT 6-3 260 Miami (Fla.)
5 21 Pat Miller LB 6-1 220 Florida
6 24 Don Griffin FS 6-0 176 Middle Tennessee State
8 9 Jim Popp TE 6-5 239 Vanderbilt
8 sup Roosevelt Snipes RB 5-9 175 Florida State
9 19 Tony Cherry RB 5-7 187 Oregon
10 18 Elliston Stinson WR 5-10 175 Rice
10 21 Harold Hallman NG 5-11 234 Auburn

lulz
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I love how people say with definity that that the pick was a reach etc. or that Baalke doesn't know what he is doing without taking into account other factors. People forget the coaches have every much the responsibility to properly coach up the OLB or any other player to all star possibility, not just the QB.

The players will only be a reach if they only start and not perform to expectations. eg. If Aldon starts but turns out to be like lawson.

However, if Aldon gets double digit sacks, preasures, interceptions, passes batted down etc. Then he will not have been a reach. Think like how he in the weeks before the draft, we saw the draft do overs.

A good example-remember the DE Houston picked and everyone critisized? Had a slow first year, but now everyone sings his praise.

That is a great point. I hear people say how great the 1986 draft was but how would it have graded out the next day. Also our first pick was Larry Roberts. The right situation and more importantly the right coaching can make any draft great.

Here is that draft after Roberts and I ask you: Did the players drafted matter as much as our coaching staff?

lulz

Ya LOL I copied and pasted it from the 49erswebzone All Time Draft Picks link. Not sure what a f*gan is.

LINK

[ Edited by dwett on May 3, 2011 at 17:45:24 ]
Mel had Stanzi and Mallet higher than Kap. Therefore we didn't draft well. We should have picked what Mel thought rather than Harbaugh (yeah right) .
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Mel Kiper is an absolute jackass. He had miss after miss after miss in his projections. He has been doing it for 28 years and looked like a rookie. He falls in love with players and then gets pissed when teams pass them up.

lol You're right he is a jackass, but his contribution was never about being right about the picks, it's about helping to turn what is actually a pretty boring event into a primetime spectacle involving the drama of what a team needs, who the coaches like, the tightness of a player's hips (lol), etc. Look at the drafts of other sports, is it anywhere near the galaxy the NFL draft has turned into?
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Day-after draft grades are something of a joke since no one knows how the picks will actually turn out. The grades are given out on the basis of pure speculation and are about as valid as mock drafts. Which is to say, somewhat valid but prone to wild misses and unexpected surprises. How many mock drafts had Gabbert falling to #10? How many had the Vikings taking Ponder at #12?

I went back and looked at Kipers' grades for the 49ers from 2005 to 2009. He gave us a B+ every year except for 2008, where he gave a C+. That's actually somewhat accurate. 2006, 07, and 09 were all pretty decent drafts, but 2008 was when we took Balmer and Rachal... by far the worst draft of the McCloughan era. So, broadly speaking, the day-after draft grades have some validity, as long as you understand that it's only a general indicator and from time to time there will be wild misses and big surprises. All it takes is one bust or one big steal to totally change the grade.

Seven starters from that group, 4 small school and 4 big time schools. I wondered what they graded this draft.

I expect one of our 2 small school OL to start eventually in place of Chilo or whoever they bring in.
Grades = "Variance in how I think you should have picked"
Share 49ersWebzone