LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Kiper's and McShay's final draft grades

Mel Kiper says 49ers "reached" with Kaepernick. Mel was in love with Jimmy Clausen last year and even thought the Panthers wouldnt draft Cam Newton because the Panthers already had Clausen??

When their careers are said and done, Kaepnick is going to blow Clausen out of the water. In my opinion, Kaepernick and Aldon Smith made this draft
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Mel Kiper says 49ers "reached" with Kaepernick. Mel was in love with Jimmy Clausen last year and even thought the Panthers wouldnt draft Cam Newton because the Panthers already had Clausen??

When their careers are said and done, Kaepnick is going to blow Clausen out of the water. In my opinion, Kaepernick and Aldon Smith made this draft

just like any player in the draft, except for the elite like Sue last year, I don't think its given they will succeed,,,,,we will know after a season or two, but i like our chances with these two, Aldon Smith is young and has the perfect body, for the position, and Kappy, is a competitor and winner.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by susweel:
After this draft and last year its clear that Baalke does not know how to work the draft. He reaches constantly through out the draft, hopefully his players turn out to be good or he's gonna look really bad.

________

Every GM, reaching or not, will look bad if his players don't "turn out to be good".

I really don't care if Baalke can "work a draft". I can that in a few years, the players produce up to his expectations.

The Cardinals usually take BPA and their drafts have turned out horrible.

There is no one way to "work a draft". Baalke did just fine.

I like the Cardinals drafts over the past 5 seasons compared to the niners. I think this years draft was better for the Cardinals than the niners also.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I personally don't friggin care what Darth Helmet or McShay say.

Exactly
I was not really paying attention today but I thought I heard kiper say aldon smith was going to be the best player from this draft.
Baalke and Harbaugh made a commitment to a certain type of player, as was said earlier, and stuck to their plan. Going with guys from small schools is not a bad way to go in the late rounds. The alternatives are to take guys who were injured or who have character flaws. I'll go with the small school plan every time.

Taking two left tackles who have experience inside was an interesting move. One was a HS center for a few years so that gives him some experience.

Gore is an example of taking an injured player who has fallen down the board but he only fell to the midrounds and was a better risk.

If Singletary or Nolan had been in charge I would not like this draft but that is because I don't trust their ability to evaluate players. Harbaugh's ability to pick QBs makes this draft for me.

Kiper and McShay are fun to listen to but so are all the other guys. I love listening to Kiper talk so fast that no one can interrupt him!

[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 2, 2011 at 18:49:02 ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

If Singletary or Nolan had been in charge I would not like this draft but that is because I don't trust their ability to evaluate players. Harbaugh's ability to pick QBs makes this draft for me.

Exactly.

The reason I am okay with how everything fell through is because we have COACHES that can COACH their players to play. Not just close their eyes and pray that they're doing something right.
  • lyer
  • Veteran
San Francisco 49ers
Top needs: QB, OLB, WR, CB

Summary: You'll hear Smith called the first big reach of Round 1, but he wouldn't have lasted long at all past the No. 7 slot where the Niners nabbed him. And beyond the obvious question at quarterback, an outside linebacker who can rush the quarterback was the biggest position of need for this team, and if Smith continues on his developmental path, he could be a star. Jim Harbaugh found a quarterback he can develop with Kaepernick in Round 2, but even with the run on quarterbacks, I saw that as a reach. There's a lot of development needed. San Fran did hit on other top needs at cornerback and wide receiver, and got decent value in Hunter for depth at running back. Kilgore also offers a little more depth at guard. It's all about what happens at quarterback in terms of how we judge the success of the 2011 49ers, but I judge this weekend as a relative success. It's just a small worry when your first two picks both have development requirements.

Needs: B Value: C Overall: C+

if anyone wants the full article...
This year's draft is going to be based solely on Colin's turnout. When the Niners drafted Montana in the 3rd rd does anyone know who went in the 1st? 2nd? 4th? 5th? NO, they drafted Dwight Clark in the 10th but even if they didn't get him and Montana was the only player that turned out the way he did, 10 out of 10 teams would take that draft just b/c of the way the QB turned out. So even if Smith leads the team in sacks for the next 5 years, if Colin is a Carmazzi bust, this draft will be a flop, if Colin turns into a good/great QB for the next 10 years, it won't matter what anyone else does, this draft will be a great draft. It's just the way the NFL is....
Originally posted by lyer:
San Francisco 49ers
Top needs: QB, OLB, WR, CB

Summary: You'll hear Smith called the first big reach of Round 1, but he wouldn't have lasted long at all past the No. 7 slot where the Niners nabbed him. And beyond the obvious question at quarterback, an outside linebacker who can rush the quarterback was the biggest position of need for this team, and if Smith continues on his developmental path, he could be a star. Jim Harbaugh found a quarterback he can develop with Kaepernick in Round 2, but even with the run on quarterbacks, I saw that as a reach. There's a lot of development needed. San Fran did hit on other top needs at cornerback and wide receiver, and got decent value in Hunter for depth at running back. Kilgore also offers a little more depth at guard. It's all about what happens at quarterback in terms of how we judge the success of the 2011 49ers, but I judge this weekend as a relative success. It's just a small worry when your first two picks both have development requirements.

Needs: B Value: C Overall: C+

if anyone wants the full article...

i agree that we didn't get the best value of some of our picks (culliver, kilgore) but we also got steals in Hunter and Miller

Mel Kiper is an absolute jackass. He had miss after miss after miss in his projections. He has been doing it for 28 years and looked like a rookie. He falls in love with players and then gets pissed when teams pass them up.
These draft grades mean nothing it's the biggest waste of time. Who are they to say anything they have as much credibility as me or you.
I love how people say with definity that that the pick was a reach etc. or that Baalke doesn't know what he is doing without taking into account other factors. People forget the coaches have every much the responsibility to properly coach up the OLB or any other player to all star possibility, not just the QB.

The players will only be a reach if they only start and not perform to expectations. eg. If Aldon starts but turns out to be like lawson.

However, if Aldon gets double digit sacks, preasures, interceptions, passes batted down etc. Then he will not have been a reach. Think like how he in the weeks before the draft, we saw the draft do overs.

A good example-remember the DE Houston picked and everyone critisized? Had a slow first year, but now everyone sings his praise.
I say screw these guys, do they really think they know about our football team than our coaches? I'd like to think the HarBaalke and company know something they/we don't.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
I love how people say with definity that that the pick was a reach etc. or that Baalke doesn't know what he is doing without taking into account other factors. People forget the coaches have every much the responsibility to properly coach up the OLB or any other player to all star possibility, not just the QB.

The players will only be a reach if they only start and not perform to expectations. eg. If Aldon starts but turns out to be like lawson.

However, if Aldon gets double digit sacks, preasures, interceptions, passes batted down etc. Then he will not have been a reach. Think like how he in the weeks before the draft, we saw the draft do overs.

A good example-remember the DE Houston picked and everyone critisized? Had a slow first year, but now everyone sings his praise.

That is a great point. I hear people say how great the 1986 draft was but how would it have graded out the next day. Also our first pick was Larry Roberts. The right situation and more importantly the right coaching can make any draft great.

Here is that draft after Roberts and I ask you: Did the players drafted matter as much as our coaching staff?

3 1 Tom Rathman FB 6-1 232 Nebraska
3 9 Tim McKyer CB 6-0 174 Texas-Arlington
3 21 John Taylor WR 6-1 185 Delaware State
4 14 Charles Haley LB 6-5 230 James Madison
4 19 Steve Wallace T 6-5 276 Auburn
4 20 Kevin f*gan DT 6-3 260 Miami (Fla.)
5 21 Pat Miller LB 6-1 220 Florida
6 24 Don Griffin FS 6-0 176 Middle Tennessee State
8 9 Jim Popp TE 6-5 239 Vanderbilt
8 sup Roosevelt Snipes RB 5-9 175 Florida State
9 19 Tony Cherry RB 5-7 187 Oregon
10 18 Elliston Stinson WR 5-10 175 Rice
10 21 Harold Hallman NG 5-11 234 Auburn
Share 49ersWebzone