LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

What was the biggest Niners' Draft Surprise?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by bret:
For me, it was not drafting a nose tackle. What are your thoughts?

this and the fact that we didn't spend a pick on a true CB until round 7. Hopefully this means the team is confident they will get Franklin back and maybe we intend on making a splash and signing Nnamdi????

also kind of p surprising was passing on Stanley Havili and drafting a DE/OLB to play FB for us rather than the #2 FB that was still on the board.

For the last time, what makes you think that Havili was a good fit for this team? An undersized fullback that struggles with blocking and has a reputation of being "uncoachable." Seriously people need to get off his nuts, I never understood what the deal was. He's like the polar opposite of a fullback like Marecic who's a strong blocker, very coachable, hard worker, not so much a good runner or receiver.

Havili is a good receiver, decent runner and thats.....pretty much all. People hyped him like crazy on these forums.......yet I never understood why. Harbaugh never remotely indicated he was interested in Havili in any shape or form.

Yeah, lets keep Norris in there.

We needed a fullback and in the WCO a fullback has to do everything not just block. Havilli is a great pass catcher and a decent blocker who played in a pro style offense, so has an idea of pass protections. He can be an explosive playmaker at times which is exactely what we need more of.

He was a huge value at the spot he was taken and instead of trying to convert a lb to play the position we could have had him.
Is it me or does Aldon Smith kinda look like Bokeem Woodbine on steroids?

LOL nothing alike. Like alot of people are saying, he looks like VD and Michael Jordan sometimes.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
How about the LB being converted to f**king FB lol.
the biggest surprise was we didn't draft a Stanford player! just kiddin.

To me the biggest surprise was Aldon Smith---but the more I read about this guy the more i like the pick.

The other big surprise was the 3rd round defensive back Culliver---and I don't like this pick---till i see him play in a preseason game.

I think the special teams coach has to be happy with this draft.
Originally posted by DominantQE:
Kaep selection
think the same...i like him a lot but where is the system-fit?

though, the absolutely biggest surprise was aldon smith...nobody saw us going for him over quinn, prince AND gabbert.
Originally posted by genus49:
Culliver easily.

I'm embarrassed by how many people didn't know who Aldon Smith was when he was drafted. It's like outside of the top 10 guys nobody matters afterwards.
best jokes of the year

[ Edited by communist on Apr 30, 2011 at 19:13:06 ]
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

This. But it's turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The more I learn about the kid, the more I like.

Susweel likes Aldon Smith?!
No NT or DE, also the sexy CB was a bit of a miss
aldon for sure
Aldon was by far the bigget surprise but I think he is a pretty good pick. I would say that Culliver in round 3 was the pick I was most upset about.
Is it me or does Aldon Smith kinda look like Bokeem Woodbine on steroids?

it's you

The biggest surprise was the draft strategy to me as this dictated the picks more than anything. Every single position coach got his body to coach and all got players who were prototypes at their positions with tremendous upsides and are extremely coachable...and ALL fit into a clearly defined system on offense, defense and ST. This is a180-degrees different from what we have come to "expect" from past regimes. I liken this to a Steelers draft where year in, year out, they find guys who fit their system perfectly, develop them and watch them shine.

I believe the ONLY position coach who did not get a player to coach up is Tomsula and hey, we've already seen what he's done for Sopoaga, Franklin, RJF and McDonald.

FA targets will be at NT, OL & CB and possibly Palmer at QB.
Ummmm.... all of them minus Hunter and Bruce Miller but if we make him FB I am back to being stumped. Also, surprised by no Stanford guys and no NT.
1. Aldon Smith - Like most I was expecting to hear Amukamara, Gabbert or maybe Quinn.
2. No defensive tackle - Re-signing Franklin is now an absolute must.
harbaugh didnt draft any of his stanford players there were like 4 lol and they didnt try trading up to 4 to get peterson if they were that in love with him they would have at least tried oh yea culliver in the third head scratcher
NT, and that's it. I am okay with everything else.
Share 49ersWebzone