LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Aldon Smith vs J.J. Watt

They are both good selections. I give the nod to Aldon.
aldon is more athlethic much better fit in 3-4
I'm happy with aldon, Quinn may have issues like P.H, for the vikings!
Totally different guys.

J.J. Watt is a beast 3-4 DE.

Aldon Smith is a OLB pass rusher.

Different positions and different talents.
JJ Watt would've been a 5-technique DE for the 3-4, while Smith will be a 3-4 OLB/Nickel DE. Since we have a few 5-technique DEs (Justin Smith, Sopoaga, RJF, McDonald), and are lacking in OLB (Manny's gone, left with Parys and Brooks), Smith fit with BPA and need

Smith was the right pick
I am going to go way out on a limb here and say that the 49ers staff spent the appropriate amount of time comparing Aldon Smith with not just J.J. Watt but all other first round talents. But maybe I am way off base here.
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by natrone06:
JJ Watt=Adam Carriker
Yep both are white and wore red uniforms in college...Nailed it!

How about both 6'6" around 300lbs. with good motor may make a little more sense in the football aspects.

Then I guess JJ Watt = Richard Seymour as well?

And good Motor? I believe thats code for White.

Comparing JJ Watt to Carriker is just such a cheap comparison and not accurate at all.(imo)

[ Edited by natrone06 on May 1, 2011 at 04:44:56 ]
Aldonis Smith.

Plus, for the literary geek, his first name is easily misread as "Adonis".
per twitter

houston texas wanted aldon smith at 11

meaning wade phillips (defensive genius) believed aldon smith is the next ware
JJ Watt=Adam Carriker

How about both 6'6" around 300lbs. with good motor may make a little more sense in the football aspects.

Comparing JJ Watt to Carriker is just such a cheap comparison and not accurate at all.(imo)

J.J. Watt is a much better athlete and more instinctive than Carriker. He's the better player by far. And you are right "good motor" means WHITE. There are many race stereotypes even in football. Sadly so.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
JJ Watt=Adam Carriker

J.J. Watt is a much better athlete and more instinctive than Carriker. He's the better player by far. And you are right "good motor" means WHITE. There are many race stereotypes even in football. Sadly so.

isnt jj watt a 3-4 DE?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
JJ Watt=Adam Carriker

isnt jj watt a 3-4 DE?

That is the way he would be used best. Which is why this comparison was always a false one. Aldon is a 3-4 OLB pass rusher. Watt is a big, powerful 3-4 DE. Totally different guys with different rolls. But he's much better and more instinctive than Carriker BTW.
Share 49ersWebzone