There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

to all the pessimists...reasons for optimism

Youre right the niners management the past few years didnt know what they were doing picking the best te in davis and the best lb in willis. Also picking crabtree who will be good with an avg qb or off coord. Throw in staley and baas hell they are above average and pretty solid. What about gore he sucks too right what a bad third round pick hes the guy that was second in all purpose yards to foster before getting injured on pace to at least 1400 yards remember he still gets to play the rams ariz and sea again. Goldson is very good for a fourth rounder lawson was solid. And now Iupati will be not good but great davis will be at least avg and bowman as well.....what did he have 17 or 18 tackles his last start.

Yeah what a joke huh? Actually hitting on vernon and willis alone was pretty special. I dont know another team that has two players on their team who are the best at their position. We have good players and are better drafting then at least half of the leagues teams. The lack of a coach o line and off coord is what is holding this team back. Even alex smith could squeeze out 8 to 10 wins with a decent coach oc o line and off coord......

So for those of you who may think the niners dont know what they are doing in the last few years you are mostly wrong. They were wrong on a qb pick a guard and two sh!tty coaches and off coords but they have hit quite a few good and great players. Also bringing in justin smith pro bowler spikes solid franklin very solid was not smart either huh?

Its sad because we are really a decent qb away from being a 10 win team....right now we are a 7 to 9 win team with alex and our coaches assuming they are barely better than what we had. Have some realistic optimistism. 8 wins and the division seems realistic so cheer up.
Good post and almost totally agree. There were 3 terrible head coaches - Erickson, nolan and Sing.

We are on the path.
this happens after every draft.

The forum is full of super analysts and they become mad and pessimist if the team picks someone they haven't heard of.

dont forget that half of the board wanted huff over vernon and carriker over williws.

also almoes everyone was mad as hell when we traded back for stanley.

oh and don't forget that people were also pessimistic about balmer.... oh wait

[ Edited by hungarian9erfan on Apr 30, 2011 at 05:45:58 ]
I will admit at first I was a bit confused by the picks so far, but after sleeping on it and doing a little more homework I have come to the conclusion that these players were all selected raw so that the new 49ers coaching staff can mold them into the kind of players they would like them to be. We have to trust in Harbaugh, what choice do we really have?

This team is not going to the SB anytime soon but I feel we are on the right track. But that's just my opinion. GO NINERS!
Good post. But it does look like the 2nd year GM is is listening to the 1st year coach. The coach will probably be good but would probably would do better with an establish GM.
We drafted 3 developmental players. Unless FA is open this season Alex Smith or David Carr is our starting quarterback.

Aldon Smith against the run....look how he stands up...

Colin could be great but he's a project and doesn't have a prototypical NFL QB frame. Closer to Tom Bradys actually then Manning, Brees, or Rodgers.

Culliver was a waste. There was better talent on the board and they reached for a need with better DB's there.

Can you say Andrew Luck? What was the office thinking?

Aldon Smith (could be) good. Colin (could be) good. Culliver will be second string. Wow.
Originally posted by freetworhyme:
We drafted 3 developmental players. Unless FA is open this season Alex Smith or David Carr is our starting quarterback.

Colin could be great but he's a project and doesn't have a prototypical NFL QB frame. Closer to Tom Bradys actually then Manning, Brees, or Rodgers.

Culliver was a waste. There was better talent on the board and they reached for a need with better DB's there.

Aldon Smith (could be) good. Colin (could be) good. Culliver will be second string. Wow.

• cozz4
  • Veteran
alex smith, manny lawson, kentwan balmer..and maybe crabtree and anthony davis....ALL 1st ROUND DRAFT PICKS WHO WERE BUSTS!!! not a very good ratio for 1st rounders
Originally posted by cozz4:
alex smith, manny lawson, kentwan balmer..and maybe crabtree and anthony davis....ALL 1st ROUND DRAFT PICKS WHO WERE BUSTS!!! not a very good ratio for 1st rounders

All of which are still starting for their respected teams....

What are you thinking?

Aldon Smith against the run? He is a beast, maybe not be the bulldozer on initial contact but doesn't allow the blocker to get into his body and sheds blocks while always having his eyes on the ball carrier and the direction of the play. He plays OLB not NT or DE. Be realistic! He will still put on 10-15pnds of muscle, All-American freshman year, then all conference with a broken leg! He's mean and has the Reggie White-esque club move, not the pansy "i dont want to take people straight on" dash and swim around the side.

CK... well any QB selection is gonna stir the pot, but this is the QB JH wanted, loved and got. That should be enough for any fan, especially those who think we actually have a chance at Luck next year, who developed Luck again?

No one is expecting Culliver to come in and start. He is a freak athlete with limited experience. But is there a CB/DB in the draft right now that can step in and be better than Spencer and Clements... no. So they went with need and ceiling.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

All of which are still starting for their respected teams....

Without FA being open, perhaps you could tell me where we were going to get a starting qb from. Maybe, just maybe, by giving up all our picks and trading up to the first overall. Aside from that all the qb's this year need developing. And one of the strengths of our new HC is developing qb's. So that criticism really doesnt stand up.

One of our main weaknesses last year was the failure to mount an effective pass rush. So we drafted a guy who can operate in 3-4 as a pass rusher and was on many boards the 2nd best pass rusher. As the best pass rusher had gone, hard to know how that one could have been improved. Yes, the guy needs developing but I am not sure how this is a problem. This is a guy who is already successful but will, in all probability, grow into his role as his body matures and with good coaching. Which, for a change, he is likely to get. He may not right now be at his best against the run. But if his task primarily is getting to the qb, I can live with that. He can be coached into becoming an all round OLB.

"Culliver was a waste". Really? You may be right but I would be interested to hear on what basis you made that sweeping statement. The fact is that several people whose jobs and professional reputation depends on these drafts, disagree with you. Several respected posters, students of the draft, on this board ptedicted he would go around where he did. And I gather that ONE journo had him going in the fifth or so. And on that, it would appear, the rumour of a massive reach has been founded.

Can I say Andrew Luck? Yes. "Andrew Luck". By the way, Luck wasnt in this years draft and until he has played next year his standing in next years draft is pure guesswork. There doesnt appear to be any relevance in your typing his name. "What was the front office thinking?" Neither you nor I know, but I would guess they were thinking how three of our major weaknesses could be filled with young, promising and highly coachable players to begin begin the process of rebuilding this team under the new HC.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:

What are you thinking?

Aldon Smith against the run? He is a beast, maybe not be the bulldozer on initial contact but doesn't allow the blocker to get into his body and sheds blocks while always having his eyes on the ball carrier and the direction of the play. He plays OLB not NT or DE. Be realistic! He will still put on 10-15pnds of muscle, All-American freshman year, then all conference with a broken leg! He's mean and has the Reggie White-esque club move, not the pansy "i dont want to take people straight on" dash and swim around the side.

CK... well any QB selection is gonna stir the pot, but this is the QB JH wanted, loved and got. That should be enough for any fan, especially those who think we actually have a chance at Luck next year, who developed Luck again?

No one is expecting Culliver to come in and start. He is a freak athlete with limited experience. But is there a CB/DB in the draft right now that can step in and be better than Spencer and Clements... no. So they went with need and ceiling.

well said.

What do You imagine the League bust percentage for 1st round picks is? Check it out. It is way to early to critique Davis but I am amazed that you should think he may be a bust.Wishful thinking on your part, as is Crabtree. Balmer was failed by his coaches, and is starting for his new team. Lawson, whatever he is, is most certainly not a bust. He may not be what we wanted him to be, but to call him a bust displays more about you than him. And the subject of Smith has been worn our around here.

So you are simply wrong.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
this happens after every draft.

The forum is full of super analysts and they become mad and pessimist if the team picks someone they haven't heard of.

dont forget that half of the board wanted huff over vernon and carriker over williws.

also almoes everyone was mad as hell when we traded back for stanley.

oh and don't forget that people were also pessimistic about balmer.... oh wait

It also happens every year when the optimists start talking about the few good picks we made over the past 6 years and think that beacuse of 3 or 4 picks out of what 40ish that the new guys we got are going to be good. And oh BTW, contribute right away.

We are still a bad team behind the 8 ball this off season. It is what it is. But we aren't the Eagles, Patriots or Steelers. that has a system in place that no matter who we draft they will turn out to be AT LEAST decent. We are still a mess trying to implement said system. Until that happens we are going to miss on alot more players than we hit on.

With that said and albeit waaaaay too early, this draft doesn't do much for me this year.