There are 238 users in the forums

So what have we learned...

• World
  • Veteran
Looking at the 3 picks made so far in this draft, I see a couple of things, but 1 thing stands out above the rest - RAW. That's a word that comes up in every draft profile for the players selected. That tells me that Harbaugh and his staff are supremely confident in their ability to coach up these players. That they feel that if given the raw materials, they can mold these players into what they need them to be. I like that mentality, although if he and his staff are unable to follow through, it could lead to a bunch of bust picks. But it's still draft weekend, the 49ers have yet to take the field under Harbaugh, so for now I will absolutely give him the benefit of the doubt.

I've also noticed that all of the players selected have had predraft visits with the 49ers. So that tells me the Niners have done their homework on these guys. That Harbaugh feels they are coachable, that they have a passion for football and will buy into the system.

And finally, specific to the Kaepernick pick, I like the fact that they moved up to get him. This tells me that they were not just waiting for whichever QB fell down to them to plug a hole on the roster. While Kaepernick was not my top choice (I preferred Stanzi), I'm DEFINITELY going to give Harbaugh the benefit of the doubt here as he knows a million times more about Quarterbacking in the NFL than I ever will. Again, he certainly has all of the physical tools to be a star in this league, I just hope he has it between the ears enough to take the coaching Harbaugh will give him as well as the drive to work on things on his own (film study, etc.) to get the most out of those tools.
Another thing I see is size. This is a recurring them over the last two drafts now: we want big football players.

This leads me to think we'll continue that trend, and look for guys like Powe, Cannon, etc.

I'm not sure I agree with the philosophy, but like you said, we'll need to wait and see.
Share 49ersWebzone