There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

PhilGood's 2011 Draft Review

Solid draft so far. Let me know what you guys think about my draft review. I will add more once we draft more.

1st Round Pick 7 (7th overall): Aldon Smith DE/OLB 6'4 263 Missouri

Great pick! With the first pick of the Baalke/Harbaugh regime they take a pass rusher. It is too risky to pick a quarterback with the first pick of the regime so they go with the best available pass rusher, and the second best rusher in the draft. I believe we drafted him just a tad bit high, but the 49ers couldn't find a trade partner. Besides, most teams had Aldon slotted to go from ten to fifteen coming into the draft. Aldon has a squeaky clean resume with no off the field issues, a very grounded person for his age, and is very passionate about playing football. This kid is only twenty years old, and still has a VERY high upside. When it is all said and done he will be able to play at 6'5" 270-280 range at OLB. Freakish athlete with the ability to get to the quarterback consistently. Most of you don't know this, but he has a crazy large wingspan. For a kid who is 6'4", he has a 7'2" wingspan! Plenty of length to reach/grab/tackle/sack the quarterback. Ahmad Brooks (Our best pass rushing linebacker from last year), Patrick Willis (Perennial All-Pro, and possibly the best MLB in the game today), NaVarro Bowman (Our third round pick last year who also has a very high upside), and Aldon Smith (Second best pass rusher in this years draft). That is the makings for a potentially GREAT linebacker corps. Opposing teams can no longer double team Justin Smith with Aldon's presence. Freeing up Justin Smith and keying less on Willis will do wonders for our defense and allow us to have our first double digit sack artist since Andre Carter. Defense was the strength of our team last year, despite the lack of pass defense. Aldon is the key to fixing our pass rush and taking this defense from a good one, to a great one.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBee49viSK8

Article:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110428/sports/110429351?p=1&tc=pg

2nd Round Pick 4 (36th overall): Colin Kaepernick QB 6'5" 233 Nevada

We found our quarterback of the future! We traded our second (45th overall), fourth (108th overall), and fifth (141st overall) to Denver for their second (36th overall). Most of you did not like that we traded so many picks to move up and get Kaepernick. Look.. we had twelve drafts picks this year, TWELVE! I always say quality over quantity. And even after all the trades we still have eleven draft picks, so do not be so bummed out. He is the definition of a developmental quarterback prospect with first round talent. But who else would you rather have developing a prospect with so much raw talent than our very own Jim Harbaugh? Kaepernick is one of the most prolific quarterbacks in NCAA history and will do great with good coaching (See: Jim Harbaugh). Of course it will take time for him to be a contributer, and eventually develop into a starter, but some have said in a few years we might have the best quarterback out of this draft class.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq1gL_Q-vO0

Article:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2011/04/29/tale-of-the-tape-on-49ers-pick-kaepernick-vs-qb-draft-class/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

3rd Round Pick 16 (80th overall): Chris Culliver DB 6'0" 199 South Carolina

Speed, speed, speed. Speed kills and it is something our defensive secondary has been lacking. We traded our third (76th overall) to Jacksonville for their third (80th overall), and their sixth (182nd overall). He was rated a sixth round CORNER, but a third round SAFETY (Mayock is a d**che anyways). The knock on this kid is that he was soft in coming up in run support, and tackling in the open field. I believe his best position with us is at free safety making him perfect in roaming the field, covering ground, and making plays. He has the perfect combination of height/weight/speed. Goldson is a free agent, and will most likely ask for a big contract which we will not give him. Pairing him up with our second round pick from last year, Taylor Mays, we could possibly have the fastest safety tandem in the NFL. Instant contributor on special teams and on nickel/dime sets. Will eventually challenge Reggie Smith for the starting free safety spot.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPg32dRGs4

Article:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/920-chris-culliver-6th-round-3rd/

Can't wait for tomorrow!
great analysis Phil. I agree 100%, loving the draft already.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Thanks AB! I just do not get why people are so worked up about this years draft. Just because they hear it on ESPN or NFLN it has to be true. Hahaha! Just by this years first few picks I think it is obvious Baalke and Harbaugh know what they are doing.
Originally posted by PhilGood:

Thanks AB! I just do not get why people are so worked up about this years draft. Just because they hear it on ESPN or NFLN it has to be true. Hahaha! Just by this years first few picks I think it is obvious Baalke and Harbaugh know what they are doing.

Good Breakdown man. I'm actually really excited to see these guys on the field. We getting some great athletics, with lots of potential. I can't wait.

I dont buy anything espn or nfln say. I go by my own reviews etc.....

But again good analysis.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Good Breakdown man. I'm actually really excited to see these guys on the field. We getting some great athletics, with lots of potential. I can't wait.

I'm excited too! Good athletes can be coached into great football players. I believe Harbaugh and staff have the ability to tap into the potential of these kids we just drafted and the players on the roster! I'm juiced for the coming season.

And AB, right back at ya.