LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

very disappointing draft...

And now, let me move onto the Kap pick. I know some might be disappointed that we had to give up those picks to move up for a project player, but heres my reasoning for that one, pretty easy if you think about it: Because Harbaugh wanted him.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't say this because I have blind faith in harbs and believe he should get whatever he wants, I say it because the MAIN reason we hired him was because of his expertise with QBs. So it's not to say he is some QB God, but just that if thats the main reason we hired Jim, then we should let him do whatever it takes to get HIS GUY.

If Kap was his GUY, then so be it. Now all we have to do is hope and wait to see whether Kap turns into our future star QB with the tutelage of Harbaugh..
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
Originally posted by cozz4:
smith would have went to dallas???? no chance dallas was looking at smith...they have a pass rusher...his name is DEMARCUS WARE!!!!!

Washington took Kerrigan and they have Orakpo!

Detroit took Fairley and they have Suh!

apparently having 2 sack artists on one team is bad

Lol yeah. Some guys call that overkill. Overkill on who, da QB? Sounds good to me!
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner4life21:
And now, let me move onto the Kap pick. I know some might be disappointed that we had to give up those picks to move up for a project player, but heres my reasoning for that one, pretty easy if you think about it: Because Harbaugh wanted him.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't say this because I have blind faith in harbs and believe he should get whatever he wants, I say it because the MAIN reason we hired him was because of his expertise with QBs. So it's not to say he is some QB God, but just that if thats the main reason we hired Jim, then we should let him do whatever it takes to get HIS GUY.

If Kap was his GUY, then so be it. Now all we have to do is hope and wait to see whether Kap turns into our future star QB with the tutelage of Harbaugh..

Big fan tonight. You're saving my fingers
smith would have went to dallas???? no chance dallas was looking at smith...they have a pass rusher...his name is DEMARCUS WARE!!!!!

I heard the league put a new rule that you can have only one pass rusher on your team,, maybe thats his reasoning,, hahahahhaha

[ Edited by RonRon on Apr 29, 2011 at 22:51:13 ]

I'm not sure Washington is an example I would EVER use to support my position in a draft argument. Especially since I think Kerrigan is a terrible pick for them. Now they have two players basically the same: pass rushers that can play from a couple of different positions, but can't drop back in coverage.

That being said, it's not that having Ware would keep them from picking another pass rusher, it's just that Dallas had other bigger needs. They were set on OL, and that's what they got. CB would have been the next need. Dallas would not have taken Smith, but there is a chance Washington could have, or the Texans.
Originally posted by Furlow:

Thank you. I swear, fans who overreact and don't even THINK before they complain piss me off. People need to look at things from different perspective..
LMAO.

I swear, I wonder why some of the guys on this board aren't NFL GMs or scouts or coaches. Obviously, they know more than the f**king professionals.

Ok, let me start of with Aldon Smith- The only worthy players at 7 IMO were Quinn, Prince, Gabbert, and then Smith, for some. Most of us didn't want Gabbert, and most of us figured Harbaugh didn't either. Cross him off. I'll admit, I thought Prince was the pick too, but certainly, it wasn't just us, since he fell A LOT down all the way to the Giants.. Cross him off, for now. So Quinn and Smith are left, and both play the same position. I woulda thought Quinn was the pick, but if the Niners wanted Smith, then why should we argue? Just because some so called analyst who has never drafted a player in his lifetime thought otherwise? Bill Parcells was high on Smith.

Now for the 'why didn't we trade back' argument... IT TAKES TWO f**kING TEAMS TO MAKE A TRADE. Baalke even admitted that he tried trading back to the 11-13 range, where there were certain teams ( Houston ), who wanted Smith. The other teams didn't want to, so thats that. As much as some posters on here would like to believe so, you can't exactly force a team to make a trade with you..

i thought everyone on this board was stupid, you have changed my mind, thanks for this post
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Thank you. I swear, fans who overreact and don't even THINK before they complain piss me off. People need to look at things from different perspective..

Agreed. I think most of them are very young and/or spoiled by our Super Bowl success. This is a different league, it takes time. Not to mention the coaches and front office do this as a career and have everything to lose, UNLIKE all the armchair GM's on this MB

Agreed. I think most of them are very young and/or spoiled by our Super Bowl success. This is a different league, it takes time. Not to mention the coaches and front office do this as a career and have everything to lose, UNLIKE all the armchair GM's on this MB

I know right. And in my opinion, age isn't even that big of a deal.

I'm 19 and I've gotten used to looking at 49er football optimistically and from different perspectives because all I've witnessed is losing. Age isn't as important as it is to actually think and use common sense. lol.

Never fall in love with a player! Quinn was my favorite but Smith was a safer pick and may fit into Fangio's system better. So, go 9ers!

Didn't you know, in order to be a WZ poster, you have to have previous experience as a scout or GM? You didn't like on your application to the WZ did you?

you make too much sense for this board, just leave now
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
aldon smith at #7 was a major reach...if hes the guy you want, they should have traded back a few spots and then taken him there...and chris culliver in round 3??? the guy got a 6th round grade!!! very disappointing

weak

smith over robert quinn will haunt this team for a LONG LONG TIME...the pick makes no sense at all...if u guys wanna look thru you rose colored glasses go ahead!!

Ok here it is...the most sensible post you will probably read on this subject: NOT QUINN??? Was my initial reaction too...and was until sometime this morning. But the more I thought about, it's really the same. Any time you have a college DE that you want to transition into a LB, there are questions. Can he drop back into coverage, can he make the transition? With Quinn there were questions because of him not playing last year, and medical concerns. With Smith, there is an experience factor due to only playing 2 seasons (and one of them he was playing hurt for a lot of it, apparently).

So to be perfectly honest and non-biased, if someone calls Smith a reach at #7 then Quinn would have been too. There are no guarantees about either of them, the Niners took who they thought was the best choice.
aldon smith at #7 was a major reach...if hes the guy you want, they should have traded back a few spots and then taken him there...and chris culliver in round 3??? the guy got a 6th round grade!!! very disappointing

Everybody seems to assume that we could have traded out of that spot. It takes two to make a trade happen. They probably couldn't have traded out of the spot so they just took the guy they wanted.
Share 49ersWebzone