There are 198 users in the forums

How long does Harbaugh have??

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
You bring up a valrod point. So my answer to all that:

Yes.

fixed

I bring up valrod's point? You can keep the compliments coming, good sir.

lol
People keep saying that Kap is 2-3 years away. I bet he gets playing time as early as the game 4, and will likely be starting by the end of the season if our veteran (whoever that is) is struggling to win games.

Kap is big, strong, fast has a cannon of an arm, was a 5th year senior at Nevada this past year...has 51 collegiate starts to his credit and is pretty damn smart (37 on the wonderlic and ran a very complex offense). He's ready to compete at the highest level and is not as far away as many people assume.

Seriously, this is not a scared little kid who doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 29, 2011 at 22:05:15 ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
People keep saying that Kap is 2-3 years away. I bet he gets playing time as early as the game 4, and will likely be starting by the end of the season if our veteran (whoever that is) is struggling to win games.

Kap is big, strong, fast has a cannon of an arm, was a 5th year senior at Nevada this past year...has 51 collegiate starts to his credit and is pretty damn smart (37 on the wonderlic and ran a very complex offense). He's ready to compete at the highest level and is not as far away as many people assume.

Seriously, this is not a scared little kid who doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The guy has a ton of experience and a lot of athleticism, that goes a long way in the NFL. The biggest thing holding him back is the lockout, but hopefully he already has the playbook and can start learning it. I was thinking starting by game 10ish, depending on how our starter (whoever that may be) is doing.

I just don't see him being that much of a project. His level of improvement from the end of the year to the Senior Bowl was a great indication of his ability to be coached, and who better to complete that training that Harbaugh? I'm excited.

To answer the subject question of the OP, I'd say 4-5 years. He has a lot of crap to clean up so that will buy him some time. We have no where to go but up from where we've been...

If he does take over this year do you see him having the kind of success to become a franchise qb? and what do you think his ceiling is (realistic ceiling)? Also, what do you think about Aldon Smith and Chris Culliver's chances at getting some playing time this year?
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:

If he does take over this year do you see him having the kind of success to become a franchise qb? and what do you think his ceiling is (realistic ceiling)? Also, what do you think about Aldon Smith and Chris Culliver's chances at getting some playing time this year?

If he takes over sometime this year, he'll probably struggle initially...but that's pretty normal, and that's how young QBs learn. I think other than Mallet, Kap is in the best position of all of this year's QBs to succeed, mostly because he has Harbaugh at his side to show him the way. IMO, Kap has all the tools to be a franchise QB...whether he will or not though remains to be seen.

I've always liked Aldon Smith, but I'm not convinced he's as good a 3-4 OLB prospect as Robert Quinn. But I also think they'll move Smith around and not just keep him on his feet. In that sense, he's probably a better fit for Fangio's defense and will probably get a lot of playing time sooner rather than later.

I think Culliver was a reach, but there's no denying his speed and athleticism. He'll definitely see action on special teams, but I don't think they'll rush him on to the field on defense.
Originally posted by valrod33:
yes

this

If he takes over sometime this year, he'll probably struggle initially...but that's pretty normal, and that's how young QBs learn. I think other than Mallet, Kap is in the best position of all of this year's QBs to succeed, mostly because he has Harbaugh at his side to show him the way. IMO, Kap has all the tools to be a franchise QB...whether he will or not though remains to be seen.

I've always liked Aldon Smith, but I'm not convinced he's as good a 3-4 OLB prospect as Robert Quinn. But I also think they'll move Smith around and not just keep him on his feet. In that sense, he's probably a better fit for Fangio's defense and will probably get a lot of playing time sooner rather than later.

I think Culliver was a reach, but there's no denying his speed and athleticism. He'll definitely see action on special teams, but I don't think they'll rush him on to the field on defense.

Cool, thanks a lot Ghost! Whenever I have personnel questions I try to find you lol!

Cool, thanks a lot Ghost! Whenever I have personnel questions I try to find you lol!

No problemo!
He has a long time IMO. They will give him 3 - 4 years at least. They just hired him and gave him a real big contract. It's not like he has to turn this around in one year. We had a real bad record. So we are in a sense starting over. 3 years minimum and more likely 4 is what he will be here for no matter what happens.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He has a long time IMO. They will give him 3 - 4 years at least. They just hired him and gave him a real big contract. It's not like he has to turn this around in one year. We had a real bad record. So we are in a sense starting over. 3 years minimum and more likely 4 is what he will be here for no matter what happens.

This
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
So far it seems like all 3 of our picks are for the future... Aldon Smith i'm sure will play some passing downs to rush the QB this year but he still has to grown into his body, Kaepernick we all know is a 2-3 yr project (hopefully sooner since Harbaugh will be working with him) and the CB we took (I'm too ashamed to type his name if we really do plan on keeping him at CB) he is obviously a project also. So how long do you think Harbaugh has to turn this franchise around?? I think it's safe to say next year we will be competitave however I'm not sure we'll be playoff bound considering the teams in our division have drafted players that should impact from day 1. I'm not gonna lie, i'm ok with another year or so of 500 ball as long as after that year or two we're playoff/super bowl bound for YEARS to come!! I think Kaepernick can develope into a Steve Young type player, his running skills are amazing b/c of his speed however he does need to bulk up. Right now if he gets hit by an Ed Reed or Polamalu that could be very bad. We need him to play well in the preseason so he doesn't lose confidence before he's ready to take the reigns. Part of me would like to see Alex Smith come back (I can't believe I just typed that....) I think Alex could really help him with the mental part of the game... No one has had more ups and downs with the 49ers then he has... especially for as long as he has!! I think we have to give Harbaugh at least 4 years. 2 years of 7-9,8-8,9-7 ball, 1-2 yrs. of 9-7 or better, then it's top of the league time. Not just NFC either!! What does everyone think??

Originally posted by joeymac49s:
Originally posted by valrod33:
yes

Yes... He has 4 years? Yes... you like our picks?? Yes... they're all projects??? Yes... You've been drinking???

No.
Share 49ersWebzone