LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 441 users in the forums

DeMarcus Ware vs Aldon Smith

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
You heard it here first. Aldon Smith will be better than Clay Matthews, Charles Haley, Reggie White, Mario Williams and Michael Strahan, combined. Book that s**t, homie!

P.S. you might as well add in Super Fly Jimmy Snucka and Paul Bundy.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
Since the 49ers surprise most people and drafted Aldon Smith in the 1st round I’ve watched some of Missouri’s games on ESPN3.com. I don’t think Aldon will be the stud All Pro OLB we hoped he would be. Aldon Smith doesn’t have the quick get off a stud NFL pass rusher needs to be dominate in the NFL. While watching a few Missouri games I’ve noticed the coaches would line Aldon up at DT on third down instead of DE. They would also stunt to the inside from his DE position. Unless Missouri coaches don’t have a clue this doesn’t sound like a dominate NFL pass rusher to me. I like Aldon Smith’s size and athleticism he reminds me more of an Andre Carter than a DeMarcus Ware. I think Aldon Smith can be an average to good pass rusher, but I don’t think he will be a great pass rusher.

dont look at last years games he was playing with a broken leg throughout the year

Was he playing with a broken leg at the beginning of the year?
Since the 49ers surprise most people and drafted Aldon Smith in the 1st round I’ve watched some of Missouri’s games on ESPN3.com. I don’t think Aldon will be the stud All Pro OLB we hoped he would be. Aldon Smith doesn’t have the quick get off a stud NFL pass rusher needs to be dominate in the NFL. While watching a few Missouri games I’ve noticed the coaches would line Aldon up at DT on third down instead of DE. They would also stunt to the inside from his DE position. Unless Missouri coaches don’t have a clue this doesn’t sound like a dominate NFL pass rusher to me. I like Aldon Smith’s size and athleticism he reminds me more of an Andre Carter than a DeMarcus Ware. I think Aldon Smith can be an average to good pass rusher, but I don’t think he will be a great pass rusher.

dont look at last years games he was playing with a broken leg throughout the year

I can't believe how many people say things and be clueless of the information that has been given by the beat writters and others. Doesn't anyone read the news before making a comment anymore? Mizzou wanted to be put aldon at DT at times to put all their best pass rushers at times. They also felt with his size and arm length, he could alter a QBs thowing if not force the QB to pull the ball back down or bat the ball down. They also felt if anyone could do it it be Smith. This has been stated by the Tiger's coaches.

Yes he was playing hurt, on a broken fibula, which caused him to miss 3 games completely. Yet he still got 6 sacks and how many times was he responsible for other thinks that are not seen stat was like, pressures, batted balls, causing a QB to pull the ball back down? Or interceptions? Now, I never had a broken fibula, but things like shin splints and turf toe I do know aren't fun, imagine playing at the pro level. If you don't think it takes away from your "A" game then obviously you are an arm chair QB who has never played organized sports at the high school level at least. Pee wee football don't mean squat. Imagine if he was healthy like his frosh year? He would have had double digit sacks-I am 99 percent sure.
Carson Palmer viewed Aldon Smith's YouTube highlights. He then phoned his agent to announce his retirement.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by KID9R:
His Combine #'s aren't even close to Ware's though.

Ware
40--------4.56 best that year for DL
3-cone---6.85 best that year by alot
Shuttle---4.07 best that year
Vertical--38.5 2nd best
Broad----122 Tied for 2nd
Bench----27 Tied for 2nd

Smith
40-------4.74 Tied for 9th
3-cone--7.19 12th
Shuttle--4.50 16th
Vertical--34 Tied for 5th
Broad----118 5th
Bench----20 Tied for 16th

Ware 251 lbs 34" arms 6'4"

Smith 263 lbs 35 3/8" arms 6'4 1/4"

It is obvious to all that Ware has the more superior numbers, and that the Ware-Smith comparison is not as solid as a Smith-Tuck/Allen comparison. Once again, although I thought Smith was the best 3-4 OLB prospect on the board at the time of the draft, the forty, cone and shuttle numbers are shaky for a 7th overall pick. I'd feel much better with numbers that are a lot closer to Ware. Ware is simply much more explosive than Smith.

When you are drafting a 3-4 edge rusher that high in the draft, you really want a guy who is explosive, and I just don't see that explosiveness from Smith.

the numbers are a little deceiving because Smith did run a 4.69 in the forty at one time. Smith is 12 pounds heavier than Ware. Smith is 21 while Ware was 23 almost 24 years old at draft time. Smith was recovering from a broken leg his senior year, not 100%. Bottom line Smith still has a lot of upside

Let me get this straight....so a guy who is able to provide a pass rush as a DT is not very good?

Whatever opinions are like aholes. Everyone has one.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:
You heard it here first. Aldon Smith will be better than Clay Matthews, Charles Haley, Reggie White, Mario Williams and Michael Strahan, combined. Book that s**t, homie!

After rewatching some video on him I am still very excited. This guy does a great job of keeping his arms extended, reading the play and closing on the ball. He has very strong hands and effectively uses his arm length to beat shorter armed interior lineman on inside pass rushes. His ability to cut out and then back in and freeze up lineman is impressive and then he is strong enough to club them out of the way Reggie White style. His sacks aren't coming as much around the edge untouched like Von Miller but through the offensive line. I expect he will get moved all over the place on passing downs
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by ninertico:

O, Ye of little faith!
Originally posted by WildBill:

[b]I can't believe how many people say things and be clueless of the information that has been given by the beat writters and others. Doesn't anyone read the news before making a comment anymore? Mizzou wanted to be put aldon at DT at times to put all their best pass rushers at times. They also felt with his size and arm length, he could alter a QBs thowing if not force the QB to pull the ball back down or bat the ball down. They also felt if anyone could do it it be Smith. This has been stated by the Tiger's coaches.[/B]

Yes he was playing hurt, on a broken fibula, which caused him to miss 3 games completely. Yet he still got 6 sacks and how many times was he responsible for other thinks that are not seen stat was like, pressures, batted balls, causing a QB to pull the ball back down? Or interceptions? Now, I never had a broken fibula, but things like shin splints and turf toe I do know aren't fun, imagine playing at the pro level. If you don't think it takes away from your "A" game then obviously you are an arm chair QB who has never played organized sports at the high school level at least. Pee wee football don't mean squat. Imagine if he was healthy like his frosh year? He would have had double digit sacks-I am 99 percent sure.

I watch games to form my own opinion. I don't need a beat writer or commentators to tell me what I see. On Aldon Smith moving to DT on 3rd down, name me the last stud outside pass rusher who moved to DT on 3rd down to rush the passer? All the good ones I can remember stayed on the outside on 3rd down to rush the passer.

Originally posted by genus49:

[B]Let me get this straight....so a guy who is able to provide a pass rush as a DT is not very good?

Whatever opinions are like aholes. Everyone has one.[/B]

I never said that a guy who can provide a pass rush at the DT spot isn't very good. I wish the 49ers could find a Warren Sapp. I said I didn't think Aldon Smith would be a great pass rusher in the NFL. I think he can be average to good pass rusher in the NFL, like Andre Carter when he played for the 49ers. Aldon could even be as good as Mario Williams for the Texas, but I don't think Aldon Smith will put fear in the hearts of our opponents.
Originally posted by walker807:
After rewatching some video on him I am still very excited. This guy does a great job of keeping his arms extended, reading the play and closing on the ball. He has very strong hands and effectively uses his arm length to beat shorter armed interior lineman on inside pass rushes. His ability to cut out and then back in and freeze up lineman is impressive and then he is strong enough to club them out of the way Reggie White style. His sacks aren't coming as much around the edge untouched like Von Miller but through the offensive line. I expect he will get moved all over the place on passing downs

Damn, how do I give you a REP. I'm excited about having Aldon Smith too I just don't think he's going to be a great outside pass rusher. I think he will get some sacks from the outside, but he won't put fear in the hearts of LT in the NFL. I expect him to get a few sacks off of stunts too.

[b]I can't believe how many people say things and be clueless of the information that has been given by the beat writters and others. Doesn't anyone read the news before making a comment anymore? Mizzou wanted to be put aldon at DT at times to put all their best pass rushers at times. They also felt with his size and arm length, he could alter a QBs thowing if not force the QB to pull the ball back down or bat the ball down. They also felt if anyone could do it it be Smith. This has been stated by the Tiger's coaches.[/B]

I watch games to form my own opinion. I don't need a beat writer or commentators to tell me what I see. On Aldon Smith moving to DT on 3rd down, name me the last stud outside pass rusher who moved to DT on 3rd down to rush the passer? All the good ones I can remember stayed on the outside on 3rd down to rush the passer.

Then you should learn to read-I stated why the coaches at Mizzou moved him inside, but if you can't discern what I said, I'll state it better. They felt Aldon was a better pass rusher than the regular DT and that he could handle the job. second they wanted all their best pass rushers in the game when required. The coaches felt the others couldn't handle it, but Smith could. That is why they moved him inside at times-duh.

Just because you watch a few games to form an opinion, well nothing personnal, but if you really don't know what to look for, then how can one judge. I am honest I am not a pro, but after the mizzou coaches and others that explained certain things about smith you get a better idea of what the niners staff are looking at and why. Did you take into account he mad some interceptions. When watching the games, did you watch how many times a QB had the pass batted down or had to pull it back down when Aldon raised his hands? Lets be honest-did you watch the game and only focused on Smith every play?

To rehash-he played up and he played down, he played outside and inside on the line, he lined up as OLB, meaning he can be placed all over the field and cause matchup problems. Lineup along side Justin (inside or out) or on the opposite side of the field. Also if you "read" he played hurt all last year and missed games and still got 6 sacks, you tell me that shouldn't affect a player? Then you never played any sports. Even the GOAT (rice), the next year after he blew his leg, wasn't the same untill a year after the fact.

Plus he is coming out as a redshirt sophmore.
Originally posted by walker807:

Damn, how do I give you a REP. I'm excited about having Aldon Smith too I just don't think he's going to be a great outside pass rusher. I think he will get some sacks from the outside, but he won't put fear in the hearts of LT in the NFL. I expect him to get a few sacks off of stunts too.

If he can get 10-12 sacks a year (maybe not his first since he has no TC to learn), then I am happy and he is worth the 7th pick. He may not be feared, but if he can at least get double digit sacks, you can make an off. wonder where is Smith, and confuse them and say oh shoot he is over there. Then someone else can get sneak in like a P Willis, whose sack total might also double.

I think people also need to keep in mind that Mario took a year to realize his potential, and it may take Smitht the same with this lockout.

Then you should learn to read-I stated why the coaches at Mizzou moved him inside, but if you can't discern what I said, I'll state it better. They felt Aldon was a better pass rusher than the regular DT and that he could handle the job. second they wanted all their best pass rushers in the game when required. The coaches felt the others couldn't handle it, but Smith could. That is why they moved him inside at times-duh.

Just because you watch a few games to form an opinion, well nothing personnal, but if you really don't know what to look for, then how can one judge. I am honest I am not a pro, but after the mizzou coaches and others that explained certain things about smith you get a better idea of what the niners staff are looking at and why. Did you take into account he mad some interceptions. When watching the games, did you watch how many times a QB had the pass batted down or had to pull it back down when Aldon raised his hands? Lets be honest-did you watch the game and only focused on Smith every play?

To rehash-he played up and he played down, he played outside and inside on the line, he lined up as OLB, meaning he can be placed all over the field and cause matchup problems. Lineup along side Justin (inside or out) or on the opposite side of the field. Also if you "read" he played hurt all last year and missed games and still got 6 sacks, you tell me that shouldn't affect a player? Then you never played any sports. Even the GOAT (rice), the next year after he blew his leg, wasn't the same untill a year after the fact.

Plus he is coming out as a redshirt sophmore.

Would you concede the point that he is more dynamic as a pass rusher inside, rather than outside, and that factor may make some individuals question whether he will be able to consistently provide a pass rush off the edge, if needed.

There is no question about his versatility, as he is probably the most versatile of the 3-4 OLB's in this draft (playing forward), outside of Miller.

I just don't see the consistent burst off the edge to make him a special player in this league, someone worthy of the 7th overall. There are flashes, but I don't see a player that will strike fear into OT's around the league.
Share 49ersWebzone