LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

DeMarcus Ware vs Aldon Smith

Originally posted by alwayzA9er:
^ I like how his eyes are fixed on the ball in that pic instead of the QB. rather have a fumble than a sack.

also like how he had 11.5 sacks, breaking justin smith's record, while he missed three games and played through injury the last three games

Actually, he broke the record in 2009 during his redshirt freshman year. Last season is when he broke his fibula.
Originally posted by alwayzA9er:
^ I like how his eyes are fixed on the ball in that pic instead of the QB. rather have a fumble than a sack.

also like how he had 11.5 sacks, breaking justin smith's record, while he missed three games and played through injury the last three games

well, forcing a QB to fumble equates to a sack anyway so he can get both at once!
Guys, maybe the comparison of Aldon Smith with DeMarcus Ware is not the proper one, as I thought about it for a bit.

Maybe the guy the Niners see in Aldon Smith is not Ware, but another player, namely hybrid LB/DETerrell Suggs. I think it would make sense, as there are some similarities:

Suggs and Aldon Smith are somewhat comparable in size (I think Suggs is a bit shorter at 6-3, but comes around to 260 as well) and both were quite young when drafted (Suggs was even younger than Smith).

Suggs gets moved around in the Ravens scheme a lot and is famous for being so versatile. He plays a lot of both 3-4 rush linebacker and 4-3 DE. Aldon Smith is also lauded for his versatility, as he was moved around in college a lot as well, so lets see if it translates to the big leagues.

Oh and both played/will play under our new DC Vic Fangio, as Fangio was with the Baltimore Ravens before going to Stanford coaching...linebackers, where he should have seen a very healthy dose of Suggs

Now, I am not saying Aldon Smith will be as good as Suggs, we will have to see about that. But I think The Niners new defensive staff and especially Fangio might see some Suggs in Aldon Smith and might be trying to mold him in the same way and use his versatility similar to how the Ravens use Suggs. I like that thought
Originally posted by NoOffseason:
Guys, maybe the comparison of Aldon Smith with DeMarcus Ware is not the proper one, as I thought about it for a bit.

Maybe the guy the Niners see in Aldon Smith is not Ware, but another player, namely hybrid LB/DETerrell Suggs. I think it would make sense, as there are some similarities:

Suggs and Aldon Smith are somewhat comparable in size (I think Suggs is a bit shorter at 6-3, but comes around to 260 as well) and both were quite young when drafted (Suggs was even younger than Smith).

Suggs gets moved around in the Ravens scheme a lot and is famous for being so versatile. He plays a lot of both 3-4 rush linebacker and 4-3 DE. Aldon Smith is also lauded for his versatility, as he was moved around in college a lot as well, so lets see if it translates to the big leagues.

Oh and both played/will play under our new DC Vic Fangio, as Fangio was with the Baltimore Ravens before going to Stanford coaching...linebackers, where he should have seen a very healthy dose of Suggs

Now, I am not saying Aldon Smith will be as good as Suggs, we will have to see about that. But I think The Niners new defensive staff and especially Fangio might see some Suggs in Aldon Smith and might be trying to mold him in the same way and use his versatility similar to how the Ravens use Suggs. I like that thought

I don't know about the rest of you but if Aldon turns out to be another Suggs, he is worth the number 7 pick in the draft....to me.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

I don't know about the rest of you but if Aldon turns out to be another Suggs, he is worth the number 7 pick in the draft....to me.

I expect him to be better then willis, If were picking him at 7!
One thing is for sure, when Aldon Smith sees the daylight, he closes extremely fast. QB's can't get out of there fast enough even when they see him a few yards away.

This is huge considering our guys always had trouble finishing the play after they saw that daylight to the QB.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Snider8706:
i dont know how anyone can compare these two, one is a rookie that hasnt played a single game and the other is a sack machine pro bowl player.

its clear that aldon smith is better then ware.

Nice
Getting back to discussion. Aldon did break his leg. The bone will heal in about 4-6 weaks but the muscles are all going to be atrophied. I bet his #s are better than shown.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

Would be nice to get this with Aldon Smith
Originally posted by 9erguy:
For you guys that have never heard of him, you're in for a treat. Also, where the f*** have you been the past few months? He was a top 15 pick on nearly all mock drafts

Sometimes we look at the top 5 and wish one will fall to us.

Great analysis- I think you could be right. It makes a lot of sense and I'd be psyched if it turns out to be true. A lot of people think Aldon is going to end up playing around 280 so it would make sense for him to have his hand in the dirt quite a bit.

Aldon Smith is not Suggs or Ware. He is Aldon Smith, he will be his own man and people will compare all future players to him.
He reminds me of Chris Doleman more than Ware.
Originally posted by KID9R:
His Combine #'s aren't even close to Ware's though.

Ware
40--------4.56 best that year for DL
3-cone---6.85 best that year by alot
Shuttle---4.07 best that year
Vertical--38.5 2nd best
Broad----122 Tied for 2nd
Bench----27 Tied for 2nd

Smith
40-------4.74 Tied for 9th
3-cone--7.19 12th
Shuttle--4.50 16th
Vertical--34 Tied for 5th
Broad----118 5th
Bench----20 Tied for 16th

Ware 251 lbs 34" arms 6'4"

Smith 263 lbs 35 3/8" arms 6'4 1/4"

It is obvious to all that Ware has the more superior numbers, and that the Ware-Smith comparison is not as solid as a Smith-Tuck/Allen comparison. Once again, although I thought Smith was the best 3-4 OLB prospect on the board at the time of the draft, the forty, cone and shuttle numbers are shaky for a 7th overall pick. I'd feel much better with numbers that are a lot closer to Ware. Ware is simply much more explosive than Smith.

When you are drafting a 3-4 edge rusher that high in the draft, you really want a guy who is explosive, and I just don't see that explosiveness from Smith.
Another note: If Quinn had been the pick, I would take a wild guess and say that the mountain of praise heaped upon the selection of Smith would be equal or matched with Quinn.

Since the Niners selected Smith, instead of Quinn, Quinn has suddenly lost talent.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Another note: If Quinn had been the pick, I would take a wild guess and say that the mountain of praise heaped upon the selection of Smith would be equal or matched with Quinn.

Since the Niners selected Smith, instead of Quinn, Quinn has suddenly lost talent.

i always said quinn is gonna be a beast but aldon smith is much better suited for 3-4 OLB than quinn
Share 49ersWebzone