LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

DeMarcus Ware vs Aldon Smith

They both have friggin wings for arms.
Warren Sapp compares him to Ware. Here is a snip-it from a Houston Texans draft article.

I watched a show on the NFL Network today in which Warren Sapp, one of the greatest defensive tackles in history, spent a day working with Smith and Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus for a show called Gamechangers.

I contacted Sapp and asked him what he thought of Smith as a 3-4 outside linebacker, and he said, "He can and will play — a DeMarcus Ware-type player in two years."

link
I'd be happy if he turned out as well as this guy...

Name: Jared Allen
College: Idaho State Number: 41
Height: 6-6 Weight: 265
Position: DE Pos2: LS
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2004
40 Time: 4.72 40 Low: 4.64 40 High: 4.82
Projected Round: 6-7 Stock:
Rated number 28 out of 80 DE's / 1166 TOTAL

Combine Results Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: yes
Height: 6060
Weight: 265
40 Yrd Dash: 4.72
20 Yrd Dash: 2.74
10 Yrd Dash: 1.68 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 13
Vertical Jump: 33
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.34
3-Cone Drill: 7.11

Dates: 03/12
Height: 6060
Weight: 265
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:
Wade Phillips wanted the Texans to pick him to be their Demarcus Ware
I see allot more Justin Tuck. The one pass rush move Smith doesn't consistently excel at is the outside rush. But his inside rush is phenomenal. Opposite of Jarvis Moss coming out (just for comparison). His willingness to club offensive linemen is what I like the most. He gets his hands on lineman before they can get inside on him and just steps aside, or clubs them.

Think of Brian Bulaga coming out last year with his tiny arms... Aldon should and hopefully will abuse these types of tackles from his rookie year, while learning how to go against the elite 6'6-6'8 tackles.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Warren Sapp compares him to Ware. Here is a snip-it from a Houston Texans draft article.

I watched a show on the NFL Network today in which Warren Sapp, one of the greatest defensive tackles in history, spent a day working with Smith and Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus for a show called Gamechangers.

I contacted Sapp and asked him what he thought of Smith as a 3-4 outside linebacker, and he said, "He can and will play — a DeMarcus Ware-type player in two years."

link

Two years but I want a Ware-type player now.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Wade Phillips wanted the Texans to pick him to be their Demarcus Ware

why does ware look so much bigger if he is smaller?
Originally posted by Ajanke:

Aldon Smith wears JV football pads.
just saw the game changers show of the nfl network and he was on it...

his demeanor is lose and confident it seems to me he is just a kid with monumental potential...

just like Bill Walsh did year ago, draft players not for what they can do now but what they can do with great coaching,that how we build a great franchise...

in my opinion he will be an above average LB and a elite Pass rusher...

love the pick!!!

• titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ajanke:

Grown Man Muscle! If you look at Ware out of college he wasn't as stout. Smith is just a kid, he hasn't filled to his frame. We will have a 270lbs. pass rusher from a LB position in a few years.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Watched a little youtube on him. Our OLB's are nothing great so he fills a need. He should be able to find a home there if not dominate. The way he uses those long wings of his to get past guys is pretty unique. He's really a lot more coordinated than a guy his height should be. Watching him you'd think he was shorter with how hard he hits.

I'll be on his bandwagon. I don't think it's too crazy if I predict he'll be our best pass rusher. Then again, I thought Balmer was athletic enough to develop. heh
  • titan
  • Veteran
I thought Balmer was Dumpy Looking and Manny Lawson is Athletic, but just not an aggressive person by nature, thats why he is having a hard time mixing it up during contact on his blitzes. I feel like Von Miller is not an aggressive player thats why Im not sold on him! Smith has some anger to him when he is mixing it up and that will really benefit our team.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

Originally posted by KID9R:

Nathan Scheelhaase still wakes up in a cold sweat from this nightmare...

[ Edited by 49erThrowback on May 1, 2011 at 11:22:16 ]
Share 49ersWebzone